Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 PM

506 posts, read 326,852 times

Advertisements

No. As one poster mentioned above, one minute will become one more minute and one more minute and one more minute and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Younger than 5, absolutely not.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
When my daughter was little, I would never ever leave her in the car alone, not even for a second. That's insane. ANYTHING can happen in a matter of seconds.

Ridiculous as it sounds, I never left her in the car alone while I ran into the post office "for a minute" until she was maybe 12 or 13 and ASKED to stay in the car so she could listen to music.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
All PARENTS ONLY please.. Please tell me have you ever left your child in the car to run into a store/post office/ etc for less then 1 minute?? And is that illegal?

and exactly how do you know you're only going to be "less than 1 minute"???? You don't. What if you get into the store and there is a line?? And how do you get into ANY establishment and take care of your business and be out and back to your car in "less than 1 minute"?? IMPOSSIBLE.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:09 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,562 times
Under 5, never. The true purpose of drive thru ATMs and pay at the pump petrol were revealed when I had my first baby.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM

81 posts, read 190,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
and exactly how do you know you're only going to be "less than 1 minute"???? You don't. What if you get into the store and there is a line?? And how do you get into ANY establishment and take care of your business and be out and back to your car in "less than 1 minute"?? IMPOSSIBLE.
I'm not talking about shopping. I'm talking grabbing a free newspaper or at the post office grabbing an envelope or at the library dropping off books or at the DVD rental.
Stuff like that.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 PM

81 posts, read 190,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Under 5, never. The true purpose of drive thru ATMs and pay at the pump petrol were revealed when I had my first baby.
Absolutely! And it's very UNFORNTUMATE that people don't help each other and you don't know what stranger is a good person vs a sex offender.. So everything you do is by yourself.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
I'm not talking about shopping. I'm talking grabbing a free newspaper or at the post office grabbing an envelope or at the library dropping off books or at the DVD rental.
Stuff like that.
Yes, I absolutely left my kids in the car for things like that. They were safer in the car for one or two minutes than having me dragging them out into the parking lot and trying to keep them by my side while I used the ATM. Of course I would turn off the car and take the keys. The only times I have ever heard of anything bad happening to kids that were left in a car for one minute was when the car was left unlocked and running. And that's just terminally stupid, with or without kids.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
No. One family member is ALWAYS with the twins while we are out in public. There is something instictively wrong with leaving them by themselves even for a moment, and we do not ignore that instinct.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, I absolutely left my kids in the car for things like that. They were safer in the car for one or two minutes than having me dragging them out into the parking lot and trying to keep them by my side while I used the ATM. Of course I would turn off the car and take the keys. The only times I have ever heard of anything bad happening to kids that were left in a car for one minute was when the car was left unlocked and running. And that's just terminally stupid, with or without kids.
I think most people left their kids for things like that. Add in some bitter winter cold, or pouring rain? Make that, the majority.

It may be a risk, but it's a very slight one, and not something I ever worried about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting