Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:56 AM

241 posts, read 543,750 times

Advertisements

My son was walking well by 10 months but I still (at almost two) carry him regularly. His capacity to understand danger regarding parking lots has definitely not kept up with his ability to run! Remember that at this age kids are below the sight line of some cars so even a careful driver could miss seeing them in a parking lot. Toddlers can get excited by any number of things and dash off quite suddenly.

I also end up carrying my son at the end of walks pretty frequently. He has been too active to tolerate a stroller for some time. However, he will get very suddenly tired and this does not always occur perfectly timed with the end of a walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yeah, I really can remember far back, although as you said I was "told" that I never crawled and just started walking at 18 months. No reason for the family to lie about something like that. Don't recall ever being picked up as a toddler. Wish mom were still here so I could ask her.

You'll give me the fish eye for saying this, but the 1st memory was looking up into a bright light into the grizzled face of an old man. I wonder if it was the doc pulling me out of the womb? Is that possible?
Maybe you're a seer of the future and not remembering the past?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Yeah, I really can remember far back, although as you said I was "told" that I never crawled and just started walking at 18 months. No reason for the family to lie about something like that. Don't recall ever being picked up as a toddler. Wish mom were still here so I could ask her.
I have no trouble believing that you never crawled and started walking at 18 months. I do think it unlikely that the day after you started walking, you were keeping up with the family on all their walks and errands, were climbing into your own crib and the bathtub, etc. It's really not possible to parent an 18-month-old without picking them up quite a bit.

But also keep in mind that our memories can be faulty and even parents (especially parents!) get amnesia about what their children were like. When my own children were tiny, my mother-in-law told me that her babies never crawled on the floor (they were either "in her arms or in the playpen" at all times) and always ate everything she put in front of them without complaining. Her now-grown kids laughed themselves silly when they heard that.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:32 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
Quote:
Can't understand it. Some kids are quite large and an obvious physical burden to the parent. Never been a parent and was wondering ... have parents always done this?

Now I was a lump. Just sat; never even crawled. Relatives were so worried that I'd remain a lump. They rubbed my legs with oil prayed the rosary and did all kinds of unusual and exotic things so I'd walk. Then one day at 18 months, according to them, I simply decided to walk. Went from a lump to walking overnight. There was no way they were going to pick me up, uh uh. They probably thought that if they started to tote me around, I'd always want to be carried.

Anyway, was wondering ...
Because they don't leave you alone until you do pick them up. You obviously have no idea how annoying a determined 5 year old can be.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:

You'll give me the fish eye for saying this, but the 1st memory was looking up into a bright light into the grizzled face of an old man. I wonder if it was the doc pulling me out of the womb? Is that possible?
First you have to know the age of the man who delivered you. Wait. First you have to know the gender of the person who delivered you.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:32 PM

392 posts, read 920,518 times
Quote:
Can't understand it. Some kids are quite large and an obvious physical burden to the parent. Never been a parent and was wondering ... have parents always done this?

why do you even care about the answer, especially since you chose not to have kids on your own? of course "it never hurts to ask" and "just be curious", it just sounds strange.

and to answer your concern about modern obesity rates, I think main problem is unhealthy diet in the US, followed by driving more than walking/ lack of movement. kids being carried by parents or caregivers has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 PM

171 posts, read 311,561 times
My daughter is stubborn At 3 1/2 years old she does what she wants to alot. To help prevent her from bolting throught a crowed parking lot , yes I carry her. Also to get her in the direction I'm going or she simply doesn't want to leave the store and go back to the car.

Also My wife and I didn't become parents till our late thirties. We are both 40 now and wife isn't getting pregnant again. Looks like one daughter only. Also Wife has Miscarried twice before our daughter ,so she is extra special. There are times I carry her just because I'm her father.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:23 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Because they don't leave you alone until you do pick them up. You obviously have no idea how annoying a determined 5 year old can be.
5!!!! Hard to imagine a child that age who would want to be schlepped around.

Shows you how much I know about kids.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
I'm willing to bet a lot of people wished I had picked up my son more than I did. He was and still is very active, too active for most people trying to enjoy their time out. lol

Since I wasn't in a hurry I often waited or walked slowly while my son walked. He wanted to be a big boy.

I see a lot of moms and dads at the grocery store with kids in carts constantly asking to get out and walk, but they get the "no" and if you are good about it I'll get you a treat at the end of our trip. I get it.

Kids get difficult at the store, they are curious and there is a lot there they can get distracted with.

I use to have my son help me shop instead, to the dismay of customers.(sometimes this would cause a traffic jam) To this day at age 11, he helps me shop. He loves the self check out isles, that has brought on a whole new experience when helping me out.

I chuckle because I see people watch us and I know some are feeling bad for my poor son, doing all his moms work. But, he loves it and it really gave him purpose on the trip. Instead of running around aimlessly he was running around fetching groceries for me from the list. He knows where everything is, and at this age he has become more efficient than I am.
I have to get out my phone and distract myself because I'm bored, my son has grocery shopping down to a fine art these days. You can just imagine how this looks. They probably just think I'm challenged and my son picks up my slack. Either way, I know I won't have to worry about him later in life, he will know how to shop!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:

Now I was a lump. Just sat; never even crawled. Relatives were so worried that I'd remain a lump. They rubbed my legs with oil prayed the rosary and did all kinds of unusual and exotic things so I'd walk. Then one day at 18 months, according to them, I simply decided to walk. Went from a lump to walking overnight. There was no way they were going to pick me up, uh uh. They probably thought that if they started to tote me around, I'd always want to be carried.

Depending on the situation it is faster and safer to carry a child at times then there are those times that said children are tired and getting cranky because it is close to nap time and they want and need to be comforted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting