Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:21 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times

Advertisements

Can't understand it. Some kids are quite large and an obvious physical burden to the parent. Never been a parent and was wondering ... have parents always done this?

Now I was a lump. Just sat; never even crawled. Relatives were so worried that I'd remain a lump. They rubbed my legs with oil prayed the rosary and did all kinds of unusual and exotic things so I'd walk. Then one day at 18 months, according to them, I simply decided to walk. Went from a lump to walking overnight. There was no way they were going to pick me up, uh uh. They probably thought that if they started to tote me around, I'd always want to be carried.

Anyway, was wondering ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I don't understand the question. People let their children crawl around the house and yards. Just because you see them carrying them in public doesn't mean their children aren't crawling around.

Before children can walk, they can't really follow instructions. For example, if you want them in bed, you have to carry them to put them there. If you're outside, you don't want your child crawling on a sidewalk or around a store. It's too dangerous because someone could trip or step on them. They're not like dogs who heel. They're not going to follow you around. You have things to do and places to go, you can't be slowed down by trying to herd a crawling baby.

Obviously, children learn to crawl and walk even though their parents carry them because the majority of children learn how to crawl and walk at the right age.

I think it's sort of sad your family didn't pick you up and hold you. I imagine sometimes you would have wanted to have the physical contact, cuddle, and love.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
I think the OP is talking about parents carrying children who are already walking, say, a 3-year-old.

Sometimes you do this because it's faster to get where you are going. Little children walk slowly, and while it's important for them to walk whenever they can, there are times when you really need to get somewhere in a hurry. So you pick them up.

Or, perhaps the child is being a little uncooperative and wants to go in a different direction from you. Again, instead of spending a lot of time in public arguing with/persuading a toddler, you pick them up.

Sometimes you pick them up just because they are little and you know you won't be able to hold them forever and it's kind of nice to have them holding on to you.

OP, are you quite sure that your parents never once carried you anywhere after you were 18 months old? That may be the official family story, but I doubt its veracity.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:40 AM

970 posts, read 2,214,556 times
Kids get tired a lot fast than adults. Sometimes having a stroller is not practical.

Kids sometimes get cranky and don't want to listen because they are kids and not mini adults.

Kids like close physical contact, and so do most parents.

OP, your question doesn't make sense. Obviously if you didn't walk until 18 months you had to be carried places unless your family just left you sitting on the floor at home all day long and never took you anywhere. Therefore, you were one of those big kids being carried.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:45 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
Uh, saftey?

I had a bolter. She didn't stop leaping out into parking lots until she was 10 years old. Plus she was stubborn, so she didn't always want to go where I wanted her to go. So there were times when carrying her was my best option. I probably carried her for short distances until she was about 5 or so.

It didn't seem like a sacrifice or anything. She uses her own two legs just fine to walk herself into high school.

Both my kids were walking well before they were a year old, so I didn't feel a need to force them to 'exercise'

Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think the OP is talking about parents carrying children who are already walking, say, a 3-year-old.

OP, are you quite sure that your parents never once carried you anywhere after you were 18 months old? That may be the official family story, but I doubt its veracity.
Yes, talking about children who are ambulatory. See it all the time now; guess I never paid attention in the past.

Don't recall ever being picked up after walking. Dad was fighting Adolf Hitler by that time and mom and "Nana" were small women, no one else at home, so I doubt it.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,758,218 times
You are talking WW2 era times. Not as many cars in parking lots to run over little ones walking on their own, not as many phycos willing to snatch a little one walking on their own (this one is probably debatable), etc....

I carried my 2 and 3 year olds when I had to get into the store quicker, when I felt they would be safer in my arms then at my knees, when they were tired and listening to them whine wasn't an option, when they were hurt or just feeling like they needed a cuddle, on and on and on.

Do you feel that you became a better person because you were never carried as soon as you could walk as a baby? What question were you trying to get answered here?

Old 09-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
You are talking WW2 era times. Not as many cars in parking lots to run over little ones walking on their own, not as many phycos willing to snatch a little one walking on their own (this one is probably debatable), etc....

I carried my 2 and 3 year olds when I had to get into the store quicker, when I felt they would be safer in my arms then at my knees, when they were tired and listening to them whine wasn't an option, when they were hurt or just feeling like they needed a cuddle, on and on and on.

Do you feel that you became a better person because you were never carried as soon as you could walk as a baby? What question were you trying to get answered here?
No hidden question. The way you guys answer, this practice has always occurred; it's just that I was too busy with personal interests to notice it.

Maybe it's because we keep hearing about today's childhood obesity and kids spending so much time in front of PCs that I noticed healthy, ambulatory kids being hauled around by their mamas instead of burning up some of that energy.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:32 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
I carried both my children (and many of my 6 grandchildren) up to the age of 7 or so. When they are too young to mind their parents - or when they get unruly - you need to take matters (and children) into your own hands, and usually you don't even think about it, it just comes naturally.

As for getting tired...yes, I have carried more than one sleeping 5 or 6-year old in my arms. They are simply too young to realize that their energy levels are dropping, until they themselves are ready to drop!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:00 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
No hidden question. The way you guys answer, this practice has always occurred; it's just that I was too busy with personal interests to notice it.

Maybe it's because we keep hearing about today's childhood obesity and kids spending so much time in front of PCs that I noticed healthy, ambulatory kids being hauled around by their mamas instead of burning up some of that energy.
You have no idea how active that child was 15 minutes before or will be 30 minutes lter. The past was not perfect....you really need to stop judging modern parents through your rose colored glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting