Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We're all expensive, kids and adults. I started out as a parent tracking the cost per diaper, how many we used in a given day and trying to figure out ways to reign in related expenses; I still get teased about this idiotic thinking eighteen years later, deservedly so.
Not really.

The Great Diaper Debate

Quote:
Unless you’re using a diaper service (which rents out cloth diapers, washes them, and delivers clean ones to your door for about $3,500 a year), cloth diapers will save you money — you’ll spend about $300 during your child’s diaper-wearing years versus the $2,000 you’d spend on disposable baby diapers for the same amount of time.
That's quite a bit of skiing, ballgames and date nights. Especially if you have TWO kids.

It always boils down to choices. It's obviously cheaper to use cloth diapers and breastfeed than disposables and formula. Cheaper to puree food instead of buying jarred and processed, too.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-01-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:53 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Children are an investment of the heart - the ROI is undivided love, an honest hug, and a truly loving smile.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:59 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
My kid doesn't cost me much at the moment, daycare is the biggest expense but its less than 100 euros a month now I've switched her to part time. Nappies were the other big expensive but she's out of them now thank goodness.

I fully expect her to get more expensive when she's older though, if she wants to play a sport for example (its apparently quite expensive here for kids to do sports, paying club fees as well as equipment and I suppose insurance too though that might be covered in club fees) and when she might not want to wear second hand clothes any more. And then there's things like text books if she goes to high school (though I suppose by then it'll all be e-books) and possibly some expenses for University/Vocational University if she goes.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:15 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
^^Not a link

Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There is no denying it is expensive to raise kids, or that most of us will find the cost worthwhile.

The only surprise is that people still don't understand just how expensive it is, before having them.
Truer words were never spoken. Then they have a second or third when they are already on a shoestring budget. I think that just like with everything else, you can reduce the expense somewhat, but it is still quite expensive if you want your child to have a decent quality of life.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Do you find that having children is expensive in your family?

I have 1 kid and 1 on the way. It seems expensive to me. Between clothes, formula, diapers, and childcare for 2 kids, kids are definitely the #1 or #2 expense in our family, only competing against a mortgage payment for our house.

I think it is worth it.

Just wondering what others find with their kids...not wondering specific numbers, more along the lines of "yeah, they're expensive" or "boy, they hardly cost me anything".

I always thought it cost a lot to care for your children. feeding them, clothing them, and paying for childcare if you need it, is astronomical expensive. however, just recently did I learn how much they truly cost, as we have one in her first year of high school. if they are involved in band or sports, it's in the thousands of dollars per year additional. Yearbook cost was 75.00. She wants to go to homecoming dance, so there is pressure to have an outfit, a dinner, etc.

Granted, a lot of this "optional". But school administrators and teachers pressure to do these things, and they all wanted their money like yesterday. we simply don't have the budget for it. saying NO a lot these days. sorry about all the lack of capital letters to start my sentences. some of my keyboard isn't working right this morning. #budgetcasualty

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Children are an investment of the heart - the ROI is undivided love, an honest hug, and a truly loving smile.
this is a true statement. the bad thing is when they become moody teenagers who never smile. you just want to tell them to take a hike sometimes!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
One aspect that has not been mentioned is children that are raised in welfare or foster care.

The county pays a flat amount for foster care and that is supposed to take care of all the child's essentials except medical which the county pay for separately...

I know families that foster and the amount is not allot...

Old 10-02-2014, 03:10 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
RE: The thing about daycare in WA.

Thanks everyone! I just recall that when I was there, there was a story in the news about a neighbor or indirect relative getting in trouble for unlicensed child care after school, she wasn't being paid for it, neighborhood kids were just at her house. Either they loosened up (possibly as a direct result of that controversy) or possibly my facts were/are incorrect altogether, in which case I apologize for putting false info out there and thank those who took a minute to look it up.

It would have been about 2008-2009. I can't find anything about it now.

One thing I am sure about, I had read conversations in a Craigslist forum about how the in-home daycare providers at the time were charging $10/hour per kid, and when parents complained about that, they said that it was because they had to go through the process of getting licensed and meeting state requirements. *shrug* Regardless, daycare just was not ever cheap. But at least we got a sweet tax credit out of it.

As for money spent in recent years (my boys are now 13 and 15) I finally put my foot down about the gaming console arms race. NO MORE. If I'm spending money now it will be to encourage their creative or intellectual pursuits. Decent quality violas for intermediate players are pricey, but I feel so much better about buying them...

Old 10-03-2014, 03:00 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
As for money spent in recent years (my boys are now 13 and 15) I finally put my foot down about the gaming console arms race. NO MORE. If I'm spending money now it will be to encourage their creative or intellectual pursuits. Decent quality violas for intermediate players are pricey, but I feel so much better about buying them...
Video games can get pricey. OTOH, they can sell for decent amounts to recoup costs. Spending too much time video gaming isn't healthy, but compared to other options, it can be a relatively cheaper hobby. Bonus if you're into vid games too

At some point, I have enough iOS games, Wii games, and PC games (thank you Steam and Humble Bundle sales!) that I my expenses there have taken a sharp drop. At some point, yeah, I'd be firm about that if I had kids. I hear rumors that kids get teased for having an Iphone or Ipod Touch that's 2 or 3 generations old, or ditto with consoles Peer pressure indeed.

I've had one childhood friend have a 6-ft stack of CD-ROM games (in their jewel cases), and was jealous, as my library's only a fraction of that. Then again, I grew up with one sibling, he was an only child. Being an only child, parents can better spoil you that way, not to say many only child's I met didn't work hard and be of good character for those extra rewards mind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting