Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,752 times

Advertisements

Sadly, I know a 30yr old who still gets an allowance -_-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,445,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
I think children/teens may receive an allowance if they complete chores without being constantly reminded. I like to tie in attitude as well as chores because I feel both are vital to developing good character. I do not like providing an allowance for the sole reason of money management because so many teens and young adults seem to have developed a gimme-gimme attitude. What are your thoughts on this?
I agree and do not give an allowance based on nothing. I have a hard time getting my kids to do basic things like picking up after themselves. I buy them what they need and usually provide money for outtings like the movies, but in no way do they feel they have an allowance or can say they have earned it.

I also agree about attitude, if chores are done with a rotten attitude then from my perspective it is not a success. Doing things you have to do and doing them relatively cheerfully is the goal. I have not succeeded myself and time has almost run out for me, so good luck for you!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,884 times
Regardless of how it is "earned", it is useful to give a small allowance early on simply so the kid knows how to budget and handle money.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:08 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I agree and do not give an allowance based on nothing. I have a hard time getting my kids to do basic things like picking up after themselves. I buy them what they need and usually provide money for outtings like the movies, but in no way do they feel they have an allowance or can say they have earned it.

I also agree about attitude, if chores are done with a rotten attitude then from my perspective it is not a success. Doing things you have to do and doing them relatively cheerfully is the goal. I have not succeeded myself and time has almost run out for me, so good luck for you!
The fact that your kids don't want to....or feel the need to....help around the house has nothing to do with if they get an allowence or not.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Davy View Post
We are, all, creatures of impulse - Creatures of impulse who enjoy being allowed to occasionally express free will. Children are no different; and, unless you're a Spartan parent, neither should your children be.

I'm sure you, yourself, often spend money on non-necessities (trifles); children who are usually well-behaved should be allowed - in fact need to be allowed - to do the same thing. It is the amount and frequency of a child's allowance that remains open to interpretation, not the material necessity for an allowance to exist.

Personally, I don't think it clever to, 'play the pharisee'. It's not fair for someone to bind upon others burdens which he, himself, would never be willing to carry. In my considered opinion a well-behaved child deserves a certain amount of free choice and latitude. Without any sort of personal money that's a very difficult thing for any capitalist (no matter how young) to do.
It was obvious you don't have children, but I checked your profile to be sure. Children can experience free will and spending on non-necessities without having a daily or weekly allowance. Their free choice and latitude doesn't need to be a daily or weekly event. Allowance isn't necessary for this experience. Children can save money they get from birthdays, holidays, report cards, or any other event a parent choses for that purpose.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:07 PM

436 posts, read 421,313 times
We do a system where the kids (they're still young) can earn their age number of dollars a week. (So, five year old = $5.) If they get a time out for any reason, or misbehave, they lose a quarter. If they do something extra nice or helpful, they can earn the quarter back. Chores are expected to be done regardless, but if they have an attitude about doing it, they lose a quarter. If they do a really good job and go above and beyond the next day, they'll earn it back. Meh, works for us.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:10 PM

436 posts, read 421,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Children can save money they get from birthdays, holidays, report cards, or any other event a parent choses for that purpose.
In our house, we wouldn't pay for a good report card. Education is a gift and privilege and we value learning for the sake of learning. I'm not snarking, or being holier-than-thou here. I'm just saying that different people hold different things worthy of monetary reward, I guess... We also don't get birthday or holiday money for kids. They get a few presents.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM

234 posts, read 220,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Sadly, I know a 30yr old who still gets an allowance -_-
Lol you made my day

Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM

577 posts, read 900,666 times
I've read the theory that parents should give a free allowance for the child to learn money management and then pay on top for chores. This just seems dumb to me. We do give an allowance but it's contingent on doing chores and doing them without "an attitude." If there's a larger purchase they want we will sometimes split it 50/50 but that's as far as the free money goes around here.

We're very liberal with books though... if a kid wants a book to read, we buy it for them. My kids read a lot so it does add up.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:31 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,445,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
The fact that your kids don't want to....or feel the need to....help around the house has nothing to do with if they get an allowence or not.
I agree that my children don't want or feel the need to be helpful around the house. I have failed to instill that in them. I think if I were to offer them an allowance (and starve them out of other funds) to start taking care of some of these basic things, they would probably start being more helpful and/or not wait for me to bring up things like cleaning their bathroom or their room/laundry/dishes...etc etc. I guess I blew that one, they are in high school and soon will have to learn on their own when they live in their own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting