Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times

Advertisements

My daughter had her first period the same month she turned 11 years old - like two weeks beforehand. She had always been a bit early with a lot of things - got her first teeth coming in early, then she was first in her kindergarten class to lose a tooth, even though she was the youngest in the class, and she was always tall for her age despite her parents both being of average height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only Mom who marched their daughter to the doctor after discovering mysterious bump on her chest! I was so embarrassed, especially since the ped was a close friend. Daughter was about 10 I guess and short (Korean) and I was not ready for that. It was only on one side. I never thought about breast buds before or even heard that term. I guess I thought girls woke up one morning with breasts! Silly me.

With adopted daughters (we have 3) it can be a real challenge when it comes to medical issues but even genetically related daughters have individual growth patterns and characteristics.
I was marched to the doctor by my mom when I got breast buds too. My mom was sure it was tumors, as my older sister didn't get them the same way I did. I was in fourth grade and i was a year younger than my peers. So I must have been about 81/2 or 9. ( this was in the seventies and I was rail thin)

I was actually late to get my period and I had size AA/A breasts until I went to college. I think I was about 131/2 when I got my period.

I think every girl is different and will develop on their own schedule.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I think the daughters would be mortified beyond belief if they read this discussion.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I think the daughters would be mortified beyond belief if they read this discussion.
You wouldn't believe how mortified the parents are when their babies start growing stuff and there is no outlet to discuss it in real life without mortifying people in the process. This anonymous outlet is a saviour. I don't know you, you don't know me or my daughter.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:23 PM

256 posts, read 617,029 times
Daughter didn't start period until she was 17. She was an athlete (runner) and had low body fat.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I noticed my 8.5 yr old granddaughter is getting breast buds. My son didn't believe me when I pointed it out. - shock.

but I can't tell that the whole puberty thing is starting yet.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
We have better nutrition these days.....nothing strange about.
Nutrition isn't better than it was in the 50s. If anything, it's worse because there's more fast food and processed food these days. I personally think the hormones in milk are a huge contributing factor. I read that pesticides and other chemicals used in our environment and food sources have contributed to the earlier onset than previous decades.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:05 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi there.
I'm asking because my almost 8.5 year old daughter has experienced a few changes. She now has sparse underarm hair. At 39, I honestly can't remember when the onset of puberty was. It was probably early because I remember wearing a bra at 10 and I had my first period at 11.

Thanks!
A girl may be in puberty earlier than one may think ... and here is proof.

List of youngest birth mothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
You wouldn't believe how mortified the parents are when their babies start growing stuff and there is no outlet to discuss it in real life without mortifying people in the process. This anonymous outlet is a saviour. I don't know you, you don't know me or my daughter.
Wholeheartedly agree. One of the reasons I find parenting forums such as these useful is that, anonymously, I can discuss such subjects that might make others uncomfortable. Truth is, that I'm so far removed from childhood that I can't remember in much detail my pubescent years (i.e. when I started to wear deoderant, had more hair, etc.) The only reason why I remember the day that I had breasts is because it was a big thing for me. I remember being excited because I was developing into a "big girl" like my mom. And, like others have said, each girl is different. If anything, based on responses from other parents of girls, I wanted to make sure that my thoughts were correct.

My husband and I are just amazed that we are (granted it's VERY early) at this stage in her life. You just don't realize how fast time goes by and you think that pre-teen/puberty is way off. It's the moment when her father and I are realizing that, while she's still young and we continue to treat her appropriately, she's no longer by any means a little girl. These physical changes just kind of punctuate that. It's more than just sprouting hair. Her likes/dislikes have markedly changed. Her personality has changed. I can finally see why people have told me to cherish those years when your kid wants to be with you like velcro. She's still very affectionate, but nowadays she prefer to spend quite a bit of alone time doing whatever makes her happy. She's not Velcro at all. I love and cherish each stage of her life.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Around 9 for budding breasts
10 for body hair
PMS became noticeable at 11 or 12
Period at 13 (Thankfully at home during the summer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting