Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi there.
I'm asking because my almost 8.5 year old daughter has experienced a few changes. She now has sparse underarm hair. At 39, I honestly can't remember when the onset of puberty was. It was probably early because I remember wearing a bra at 10 and I had my first period at 11.

Thanks!
Believe it or not, 7. I remember it well. Dd was playing in the family room when she stopped and asked me what the "bones" were under her nipples. For the next four years they measured the growth of her thigh bones in case she went into the final growth spurt that signals the end of puberty which normally happens 2 years after the onset of puberty. Fortunately, for dd it was more like 4 so she didn't end up short.

Dd#2 was 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It is nutrition, but it is also the growth hormones in all the meat we eat. In the 1950s it was rare for girls to mature before high school. Today it is common in junior high. There is a parallel problem; the disappearance of modesty and the promotion of immorality in all kinds of media.

Old fashioned words, I know, but does anybody dispute that this is true?
Yes. The average age of menarche in 1950 was. 13.1. In 1980 it was 12.5. It hasn't changed much in the past 30 years, as I posted yesterday. Average age of menarche in history, at MUM

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
You wouldn't believe how mortified the parents are when their babies start growing stuff and there is no outlet to discuss it in real life without mortifying people in the process. This anonymous outlet is a saviour. I don't know you, you don't know me or my daughter.
It is definitely hard for me to believe, because when I had my children, a daughter and son, I knew from the beginning they would experience puberty, just as I did and I didn't need to discuss it with anyone. I wasn't shocked or surprised when it happened. Anyone who is mortified by a child's puberty is in for a difficult life. If a father rejects a daughter growing larger breasts, did he think she would remain a child forever? I realize ignorance is bliss, but sometimes it's ridiculous.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It is definitely hard for me to believe, because when I had my children, a daughter and son, I knew from the beginning they would experience puberty, just as I did and I didn't need to discuss it with anyone. I wasn't shocked or surprised when it happened. Anyone who is mortified by a child's puberty is in for a difficult life. If a father rejects a daughter growing larger breasts, did he think she would remain a child forever? I realize ignorance is bliss, but sometimes it's ridiculous.
You haven't contributed to the main question of the OP. What age did your daughter start puberty? If at 12-13, then you would definitely not understand feelings of parents whose daughters show secondary signs at 7-8 years old. Leering without substance doesn't characterize you well.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
What does this (or your other post) have to do with my question?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What does this (or your other post) have to do with my question?
It is on toptic to what several have said about being shocked at their children going through puberty and not wanting it to happen.

Between this thread ando the reanimation of the toddler thread.....the only thing am shocked at is the number of parents that are shocked their kids are going to grow up and are upset about it.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It is on toptic to what several have said about being shocked at their children going through puberty and not wanting it to happen.

Between this thread ando the reanimation of the toddler thread.....the only thing am shocked at is the number of parents that are shocked their kids are going to grow up and are upset about it.
I don't think anyone is truly shocked and upset about a kid going through puberty. At least I know that we aren't. If anything, people are just mentioning how fast time flies. That's all. Nothing wrong with that. Truth is, sometimes it does feel like the years pass by very quickly. One minute you blink and instead of the little girl, you see a teenager, then a young adult, and then an adult. My mother still feels that way every now and then about me and I'm 39 - way past childhood.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,732 times
My daughter is 10 years old. She started showing some signs last year (sparse hair and periodic smelly underarms). But so far, nothing else.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
My daughter's underarms started stinking to high heaven at about 4 years old (!!!!!!!!). She began getting hairs in womanly places around 7. Started wearing a training bra around 8/9. She just turned 11 and no period yet, surprisingly. The way we were going I was expecting it at 9/10.

She's always been thin as a rail too, and she doesn't drink milk, so none of those common tropes explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting