Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM

57 posts, read 54,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Don't ever say you will do something that you aren't prepared to follow through on--you should have called the police.
I absolutly agree with you. I use this on a daily basis with diciplining my own son. I honestly don't know anything when it comes to the law and children. I know that now and will be studying up to be better prepared next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im sorry I would have dropped that kid like a hot potatoe , I took krav maga classes and he would have been in trouble . I would have also dropped dad and his beer in a heartbeat too if he felt froggy . Yes for Gods sake file a police report and make sure the police follow through on it . I understand your dilemma perhaps you should look into some self defense classes for yourself , in case this sort of thing happens again .I think maybe this kid and his dad are bullies and I usually find when you take one bully down the others get the picture and they keep their distance .I wish you luck I know this must have been hard for you to know what to do .
Believe me I wanted to knock his butt out. I had a can of mace on my key ring and all I could think was if I spray this kid. I will go to jail and then my son would have nobody.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyNat View Post
I am not technically responsible for any of the kids other than my own. My child is not allowed outside without me. The other kids are children who play in the neighborhood without any supervision from thier parents. So I've kinda taken them under my wing. They know that my house is a safe place to come if they feel they need help. I do the best I can for them and I know if I had not been there to stop and seperate the kids it would have been alot worse. Law is not my chosen field of study and I don't get myself into to trouble so don't have to deal with police usually. I know that it is assult when adults hit eachother but was unsure when it's dealing with kids. I talked to the fathers of the two boys who were physically assulted and neither one seemed very upset like I am. They had more of an attitude of boys will be boys. If the teenager had put his hands on my son I wouldn't even have to ask what to do but when these other parents don't seem to care I question if I have any right to be as angry as I am or call police on behalf of thier children.
Quote:
Actually I am responsible for one child and am just nice enough to try and look out for some others whos parents are losers to say the least. I did not do nothing I seperated them I tried to get the teens parents I stood between the boy and other kids until the boy was taken home by his drunk parents. I got all the kids saflely back to my house when I could have just grabbed my own and walked home. I could have just walked off with my own son as soon as all the cussing started. I could have just left the other kids there. I don't get paid to watch other peoples children. I just try to look out for all the kids. Thats not doing nothing
Quote:
I didn't just let them fend for them selves. Have you read any of this? I did not have a phone on me. I did everything I physically could to keep the teen away from the other boys besides turn around and run home to call the police which at the time would have required me turning my back to him trying to gather all the kids and possibly getting stabebed in the back as I walked away to get to a phone. I walked all the children to their houses and talked to parents and came home and posted this because I honestly did not know what to do. As the only parent that is ever outside I do feel responsible for the kids that are out playing and thats why I did what I could to protect them. I honestly hurt when I see these children hurt. When people start saying that they would take me to court and sue me. It is aggrevating.
Uh, ya, I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I really don't understand the OP getting attacked. We were not there or live in the neighborhood to fully understand the real details.
I was actually going to come defend the OP because none of us knows what we'd have done in the heat of the situation, until I read the bolded.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would have called the police the minute he pulled out the knife.
Not sure if the OP is real or not, but ya, this.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Uh, ya, I did.

I was actually going to come defend the OP because none of us knows what we'd have done in the heat of the situation, until I read the bolded.
I had just found this site and did not know how to quote the people I was responding to but it was in response to someone who said they would take me to court and sue me. Um okay well in that case don't leave your kids out playing in the streets and just expect that someone will come outside to watch them. I don't have to take my son outside to play in that case if I'm not there it's not my responsibilty. Reading a few lines does not give the whole story.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I am beyond stunned that you do not feel you were responsible for the kids who aren't yours. You invited them to the park. You were the only adult there with them. You really didn't feel it was up to you to protect those kids from the scary kid? Momma bear should come out instinctively, and you should have done for every kid what you would have done for your own. What if it had been a dog bite, or something like that? Would you have just left a neighborhood kid to fend for himself?

There are programs that help low income people have access to cell phones for emergencies. I'd look into one, if I were you.
Just wanted to link to the state site for free cell phones

States Providing Free Cell Phones to Low-Income Residents

Old 03-09-2015, 01:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Just wanted to link to the state site for free cell phones

States Providing Free Cell Phones to Low-Income Residents
This. Those programs exist to help people. Take advantage of it. And practice your "Shiva Goddess of Death" voice. Which is free.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
I had just found this site and did not know how to quote the people I was responding to but it was in response to someone who said they would take me to court and sue me. Um okay well in that case don't leave your kids out playing in the streets and just expect that someone will come outside to watch them. I don't have to take my son outside to play in that case if I'm not there it's not my responsibilty. Reading a few lines does not give the whole story.
But you weren't watching them in the street outside their homes. You "scooped them up" and took them to the park. So yeah, you took ownership of watching them by doing so. If my son is playing outside my house, that's on me, but I can look outside from time to time and see how he's doing. I can't do that if you get him to go to the park with you.

Look, I think it's nice if you want to try to facilitate the kids playing together. But if you are going to take on the responsibility, then don't turn around if something starts to go wrong and say it wasn't your responsibility.

And yes, please look into the phone program that others have mentioned - that's for your own sake and your child's, and a secondary benefit that if you are ever in a situation like this in public again, you will have the ability to call the police right away if needed.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
But you weren't watching them in the street outside their homes. You "scooped them up" and took them to the park. So yeah, you took ownership of watching them by doing so. If my son is playing outside my house, that's on me, but I can look outside from time to time and see how he's doing. I can't do that if you get him to go to the park with you.

Look, I think it's nice if you want to try to facilitate the kids playing together. But if you are going to take on the responsibility, then don't turn around if something starts to go wrong and say it wasn't your responsibility.

And yes, please look into the phone program that others have mentioned - that's for your own sake and your child's, and a secondary benefit that if you are ever in a situation like this in public again, you will have the ability to call the police right away if needed.
They are playing on the main road in front of our neighborhood. All but one of them lives up a steep hill about an eighth of a mile away there parents can't see them and don't care. I say scooped them up which is me and my son live one street over from the park we walk down the main road and as we walk the kids will follow. I do not invite them, but I don't mind them being around to play either. I'm starting to think even letting them follow is a huge mistake another lesson learned.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
You asked for opinions. We can only form opinions based on the info you gave. Whether or not the other parents "expect" another parent to watch them is irrelevant. They weren't playing in the street at their house. They went with you to a park after you invited them. That makes you responsible. As someone else pointed out, simply being an adult human being makes you responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting