Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:34 PM

685 posts, read 1,108,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I'm picturing ex-sorority girls who are now moms in their late 20s feeling old and a bit jealous around this younger teacher. Maybe they think if they befriend her or if she likes them, it'll feel like they're young and cool again. It probably mostly subconscious, but what they're doing seems pretty strange to me!
Right? No, these 2 women are in their mid 30s. They even hound the studio owner when they see her. It'll be pretty obvious she is making her way to a scheduled class and they will stop her and hound her with question after question. And the "Omg, look at your daughter dance. She is on fire. Look at her body. I'm so jealous she's so skinny." This is the one mother said to the other, about a 4 YEAR OLDS BODY. Please dear lord.
DH was actually pretty pissed I gave money. He told me to just politely decline and say I already purchased something. But this was one of the first times I just felt too odd saying no, so gave the money. So this teacher is getting way over a $100 gift certificate. And of course, this mom will hand it over and I'm SURE say she chose the gift and put it together. Needless to say, while I 99% will put DD back in this school next year, I am purposely putting her in a different class then the one she's in, so most likely not with the same set of girls. Because sometimes the hour long convos that I have to set through, well let's just say thank god I got my smart phone lol. And I'm happy if my 4 year old just stands there waving her hangs to the audience come recital time, not if my daughter is "dancing like a diva."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 03:46 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,772,509 times
As a parent, I have not encountered too many tryhard moms and dads, but as a former dancer I can tell you some of those moms are overinvolved and kind of nuts. Comes with the territory. Pageants, gymnastics, music, anything where their little star is on display ... whoever said it's vicarious living was right.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,111,428 times
It's not just girls, either.

We have tried to steer clear of "daddyball," which we often encountered in sports leagues where dads coach.

Their sons usually ended up being quarterback or point guard, and their coaching decisions were rarely objective.

The dads of other players who didn't see this usually ended up hanging around Coach Dad like a group of overgrown frat guys. Most of them can be nice, but you reach a point where enough is enough.

I'd rather have a college kid who's trying to earn $$ coach than another dad with a kid on the same team.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,772,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

We have tried to steer clear of "daddyball," which we often encountered in sports leagues where dads coach.

Their sons usually ended up being quarterback or point guard, and their coaching decisions were rarely objective.

The dads of other players who didn't see this usually ended up hanging around Coach Dad like a group of overgrown frat guys. Most of them can be nice, but you reach a point where enough is enough.

I'd rather have a college kid who's trying to earn $$ coach than another dad with a kid on the same team.
My oldest played soccer for a year when she was in elementary school. Her team was a typical bunch of bumbling eight-year-olds and they lost a lot. They encountered one team that played really rough. I'll never forget one dad, running alongside the girls, screaming, "Attack! Attack! Attack NOW!"

Flipping nutjob.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,602,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I guess I was naive thinking kissing the teachers's butt wouldn't start until kids were older, bc dear lord there's 2 in my DD's class who suck up non-stop. This is a pre-school age dance class. I personally find the teacher to be sort of abrasive. Or maybe it's her voice that I sound really irritating. But DD likes her so hey. She doesn't say hi to anyone when she walks in either and just looks straight ahead, but she' college age, so I'll give her a pass lol. But 2 moms (nice ladies too), but literally every week yell out "Omg, hi Miss so-so" like to 2 high school girls at the lunch table. Then they'll sit there and VERY loudly voice how "Omg, she's gorgeous." They give combined gifts and cards to her for evey holiday created, Halloween, Valentine's day, etc. They even hang around after the class fretting, is that a word, telling the teacher how their DD just lovesss the teacher, or what the she did today was soo great and amazing. I was also put on the spot by one of them to contribute a pretty large amount of money for an end of the year gift. I really had no intention of giving a gift in all honesty. I mean, for a classroom teacher yes, but for an acitivity like this, maybe a card or something small. She asked me 2x in front of all the other moms too, and then wrote down the names in a little book. So let me guess, if I didn't give any money, my name wouldn't have been in the card. I wouldn't be surprised if she's FB friends with the teacher too. So, just curious, does this butt kissing happen with the parents your around too? Is little sussie going to be in the front row and my kid in the second bc I'm not doting on the teacher when she opens up the door lol.

YES! And my children attended elementary school in NY. Perhaps it's a NY/LI thing.

I didn't play. I refused. I gave gifts to teachers who I actually liked, taught well and were fond of my children.

When I thought that they were mediocre, I gave nothing.

I never contributed to the "general fund" that was collected by the hyper, cheer leader, helicopter mom-in-charge. I'd just politely decline.

Valentine's Day? Halloween? Things seem to be really out of control. Thank God Facebook was not around ten years ago.

I am with you 100%.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,228,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

We only ran across this one time when our son was about six or seven. The YMCA league was supposed to be a fun way for young boys to learn & play basketball. The boys were supposed to play in every game, at least one half of the game. Heck, they were not even supposed to keep score or have "winners" or "losers" in the eight game season.

After some skill training they had the first game. Hmmm, the sons of the two "dad" coaches played virtually the entire game and my son and another boy were not sent in even one time. Obviously, my son was disappointed. Before the next game I talked to the coaches and reminded them of the league rules. The other parent talked to the coaches, too. After more skill training, the second game starts. Well, my son and the other boy were sent in for less than five minutes, and again the coaches sons played the entire, or almost the entire game instead of being rotated out to give every boy a fair turn. This was not some big professional team just a bunch of little kids wanting to have some fun. I was hot! During the week I contacted a supervisor of the league, who attended the next weeks skill practice & game. He made sure that every boy got to spend time on the court.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:35 AM

509 posts, read 556,897 times
I don't hang around my kids' classrooms long enough to know if this sort of thing is going on.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,616,268 times
In years of multiple kids and multiple activities I have never seen anything even close to what you describe. I'm always a bit surprised at the parents who know the name of the coach/teacher.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
OP, why spend the mental/emotional energy for something that doesn't matter like other parents at a child's dance class?

So what if your name is or isn't in a card? Surely you have more important things worthy of you time.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,722,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, why spend the mental/emotional energy for something that doesn't matter like other parents at a child's dance class?

So what if your name is or isn't in a card? Surely you have more important things worthy of you time.
It depends on the area...sometimea it can matter if you want your child to have a fair shot at things. It comes down to how the teacher/coach handles things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting