Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age would you MAKE your child get a job?
15-17 74 50.34%
18-21 46 31.29%
22-25 19 12.93%
26+ 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:29 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Reproducing and having kids does NOT have to be part of life. So goes for producing and consuming. Your proposed axioms are not just vexing but also quite useless.

Many people can live on minimal production (for personal use, not for exchange) and minimal consumption - it's called meeting basic necessities to stay alive and free. All this does not have to involve "a job".
This is where this poster is coming from. He refuses to pump into a rotten system that guarantees a horrible quality of life just to maintain some artificial standards of living for himself all while fattening other people's pockets. This may come as a shock to YOU, but this is not mental illness, just sufficient lucidity - which I find quite impressive at the age of 26.

He is simply lucky he found parents who accept this status quo.

Nothing wrong with this. Admirable, really. Know what you want out of life and GO FOR IT!

That said, counting on government handouts and family to subsidize your lifelong goal of not working? I'd be ashamed of myself if that was my plan.

And, as I've said before. Volunteering at a homeless shelter I've seen how that ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:29 AM

95 posts, read 140,103 times
"He refuses to pump into a rotten system that guarantees a horrible quality of life just to maintain some artificial standards of living for himself all while fattening other people's pockets."

Wow. So , basically the 90% of the population is doing it wrong? There is a reason why most of us go to school, work our buts off, get a job, and help pay for people like this. You have a very liberal attitude towards this topic and that's
not good. What "horrible quality" of life? LOL. I don't understand this thought process. It sounds like this 26 year old is immature and is not ready to join society.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
no no...you can get more than 400$. Um...I mean you can get an apartment paid for in full with cash assistance. I think up to 660$ toward an apartment and they will cover utilities. So...I can rely on cash assistance to fund a place to live on my own. I'm not sure if I'll have much money left over after the apartment. I might have like 150$ or less per month to play around with, or not even. Okay but thats cash assistance...SSI would be like 700$ or more per month, and it's pretty stable long term. It's a process to get it however, involving different documentation. I mean there are some states that make this very difficult or have their own random process, but I live in a state that is the most easy to get all this...at least my understanding is that it's the easiest

I can probably rely on cash assistance and do some part time work for a while, or my entire life...and in the meantime be continually working toward getting on the SSI. By part time work I mean 2-3 days a week, leaning toward 2 days a week. As long as I don't make a lot of money at work or don't work at all, I can get benefits all the time. Also I probably cannot own a car either because your assets need to be at an all time low...but there are a lot of potential freedoms with this plan. For example I can take a nap pretty much whenever
So your lifelong goal is to nap when you want?

It seems like you work harder at not working than working would require, and without any of the financial benefits . The fundamental assumption is that work isn't enjoyable and rewarding.

Do you have any desire to see the world (or even your state?)? Experience other cultures? Enjoy different foods?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM

95 posts, read 140,103 times
[quote=Keim;39793037]Nothing wrong with this. Admirable, really. Know what you want out of life and GO FOR IT!

That said, counting on government handouts and family to subsidize your lifelong goal of not working? I'd be ashamed of myself if that was my plan.

Exactly , and that is why most adults work. Unfortunately, we have a Federal government that continually supports freeloaders financially. There is no motivation to work if you are getting free money. There are several factors at play here and they are all abnormal.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM

779 posts, read 927,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can't make your child get a job. If they don't want to work, they won't work. You, on the other hand, do not have to support them. If they are a deadbeat, kick them out of the house. They will either learn to work or learn how to leech off of someone else.

I'm going to add this: if my child is in college, then college is his job, and I expect him to apply himself and take full advantage of the expensive education. If he has time for a job, he has time for an additional class instead to maybe get out of college quicker and shorten up the pain of paying books and tuition.

No laying around the house like a bum, though. Work or go to school if you want parental support.
What if they didn't have any money? You would kick him or her out anyway?

Last edited by LongNote; 05-28-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
no no...you can get more than 400$. Um...I mean you can get an apartment paid for in full with cash assistance. I think up to 660$ toward an apartment and they will cover utilities. So...I can rely on cash assistance to fund a place to live on my own. I'm not sure if I'll have much money left over after the apartment. I might have like 150$ or less per month to play around with, or not even. Okay but thats cash assistance...SSI would be like 700$ or more per month, and it's pretty stable long term. It's a process to get it however, involving different documentation. I mean there are some states that make this very difficult or have their own random process, but I live in a state that is the most easy to get all this...at least my understanding is that it's the easiest

I can probably rely on cash assistance and do some part time work for a while, or my entire life...and in the meantime be continually working toward getting on the SSI. By part time work I mean 2-3 days a week, leaning toward 2 days a week. As long as I don't make a lot of money at work or don't work at all, I can get benefits all the time. Also I probably cannot own a car either because your assets need to be at an all time low...but there are a lot of potential freedoms with this plan. For example I can take a nap pretty much whenever

So basically you are going to rely on tax-payer funds to help subsidize your living, because you don't want to be part of a system that, ironically, will fund your lifestyle away from the system?

In other words, you don't want to work a 9-5, but want ME to work a 9-5 so that you can get subsidized living conditions and other assistance?

It's one thing if you want to go live "off-the-grid" so to speak. Built a cabin in the woods, wash your clothes in the lake, hunt for food, etc etc. I'd have no problem with that if you don't want to be part of "the system" at all. That's your choice as it's basically how people lived 100 years ago. But it's appalling that you feel entitled to cash assistance paid for by those of us working "in the system" is just....wow. You knock it, but then hold your hand out to take what you can from that same system. If you are out....you are out.

But if you're life goal is to take naps whenever you want....enjoy. I thought you wanted to move to Canada anyway

Quote:
And from there...from that point of
reference--not the crap that I'm dealing with now...despising my family, hating
my life, being broken down etc. etc., but from the point of reference of seeing
things clearly and having some respite and independence...from there maybe I can
start the process of immigration. But going to the border right now and trying
to make it all happen fast with a hardened heart...if I liked my family and
didn't mind living here for a while then absolutely I would go for it. Because
in all likelihood I'll have to do some back and forth driving between here and
Canada... But thats not really the case! I can't stand these people...and I'll
be missing out on another consecutive summer to boot. Ya know what...I can miss
out on another summer, but I can't live with these people for another day! maybe
there is a way I can move to Canada, work in canada, and live in Canada all
within a period of weeks! but if not, I'll have to do it the slow way...hmm
maybe craigslist will be my friend on this...maybe someone from canada on there
will sympathize with my position and let me crash at their place for a while.
But in likelihood my priority will be to find a place to chill out for a while
before working on immigration stuff...because I am lazy like that!
Sounds to me like your plan isn't really going accord to plan.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-28-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 11:51 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
there are a lot of potential freedoms with this plan. For example I can take a nap pretty much whenever
i had a "rebellious son" who said pretty much the same thing, he said I will never step foot in an office building, i don't ever want to leave the house to go to work, I want to take a nap whenever I feel like it, and I want to play computer games whenever I feel like it, and I don't ever want to work more than 10 hours a week, and I want to wear my pajamas all day if i feel like it.

we said that's great but you have to get your own place to live, pay your own rent, pay for your own computer and he said fine and proceeded to get a degree in computer science, and has worked ever since as a software developer, yes he works at home, works in his pajamas, sleeps whenever he feels like it, and plays computer games a lot. He recently decided to increase his hours to 30 hours a week. He makes over $70,000 a year.

When his brothers bought their own cars, someone asked him doesn't he want a car? (He has never owned a car and is close to 30). He said simply, "The car I want to drive has not been invented yet" and he briefly described it and we are all a little in awe of this guy, he does have vision. We are also a little in awe of him because he is rolling in the dough and could care less.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-28-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 12:06 PM

299 posts, read 635,307 times
I don't think there is any definitive answer that is right for all families or for each individual child. I do believe, however, that no matter how old they are, a child can be taught the value of hard work and just how far a dollar will go. We started with our kids by insisting that whatever money they got for holidays or birthdays, half went into their savings account. If they wanted something special that was out of line with what we considered to be average spending for us, we usually talked to them about it, asking them why they wanted it, did all the other kids have it, etc. and would allow them to earn extra money by doing chores that weren't routine for them. It almost never failed that after having to work hard for the money they needed, that item that was so important, suddenly became less important when they had to pay for it out of their pocket.

My daughter asked me once why I didn't just buy the things I said I liked when we were in Target one afternoon. I explained, of course, the difference between liking and needing something. If I thought there was something I really wanted, I told her I'd put it in the cart and often by the time I got to the register, it didn't seem like I really wanted or needed whatever it may have been. I told her this was how I stopped making impulsive purchases.

Our kids didn't work until they were in college because of their commitments in school and sports. Grades were more important and so was their participation in extracurricular activities that they truly excelled at doing. They were fortunate that we could afford for them to not have to work but they certainly contributed more than their fair share around the house, taking care of the pool, yard work, driving their grandparents to and from doctors' appts. in addition to routine chores. Many of their friends automatically received a new car when they turned 16. They got the use of a car that we kept rather than trading in when they started to drive. However, gas $$$ was their responsibility when they used it for their own pleasure. We had told them a long time ago that if they got full scholarships to college, we'd buy them a new car after sophomore yr. of college. That was a promise I was happy to keep and it allowed them to come home more frequently on the weekends to visit.

They all are working now in their chosen fields, two have bought homes, our married son and single daughter, our youngest son is living at home, saving for a deposit on a home and contributing to expenses monthly. What works for one family definitely doesn't work for all. We had our share of bumps along the way but we're more than happy with how they're doing now. I was especially proud of our oldest's sensibility when he and his wife qualified for a mortgage of $700k and they found exactly what they wanted for just under $400k, rather than possibly overextending themselves and making it difficult to stay home when they had children, they put about $20k in the kitchen, new flooring, routine maintenance and reappraised at $500k just a few months ago, a little over 3 years after they bought the home. As parents, if we're honest with ourselves, we know when our kids are learning the right lessons and truly appreciating them or if the time comes to rein them in and take more control as they are maturing.

The most important thing we can do as parents is not to judge other parents and their decisions as we never know what goes on in someone else's home. If it works for your family and your children are happy, then that's all that really matters, not what everyone else thinks.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
It almost never failed that after having to work hard for the money they needed, that item that was so important, suddenly became less important when they had to pay for it out of their pocket. .
great point, i totally agree

Old 05-28-2015, 03:02 PM

363 posts, read 482,289 times
Kind of sad really. I remember as soon as I was old enough, I went looking for a job. My parents didn't have to tell me squat. My daughter turns 14 this year. I would like for her to start working somewhere so hopefully she will get out and go find one. I was her age when I found my first summer job and it always makes me proud that I had those experiences. Jobs are so good for a kid's character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting