Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:48 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times

Advertisements

Let me put this as simply and succinctly as I can: What business is it of yours?

Why not put your energy towards the outrage of how our injured servicemen and women are (not) being treated? What about the truly homeless or poor? Those without clean water or food?

Oh, wait, that would be me trying to mind your business. Never mind. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Let me put this as simply and succinctly as I can: What business is it of yours?

Why not put your energy towards the outrage of how our injured servicemen and women are (not) being treated? What about the truly homeless or poor? Those without clean water or food?

Give me a break, two separate subjects.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
=
I just think that a man that age is getting some kind of ego stroke by having kids, I don't think he's thinking about what's best for them, more so what he wants and what man him happy not what is best for the children, I don't know if I'm making myself clear here, or not so I'll say it again, having kids or planning on having kids needs to be thought out and what's best for the kids should be in the forefront of that decision, I just couldn't imagine having young kids and them having to see me die at such a young age, Yeah, I get that people die all the time, but let's not do a less than ideal situation and make the odds of young kids losing their father happen soon than needed.
If you're so interested fundamentally in the "welfare of the child", why not "rail against" the very many younger males who impregnate women and then leave them (and their children) to fend for themselves?

It seems to me that that's a heck of a lot bigger demographic.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
If you're so interested fundamentally in the "welfare of the child", why not "rail against" the very many younger males who impregnate women and then leave them (and their children) to fend for themselves?

It seems to me that that's a heck of a lot bigger demographic.

Apparently you're not familiar with my work on CD..LOL, I've railed about that subject til I blew out my finger knuckles from chronic over-use.

I'm "bitching and moaning" about this subject because I saw it on my MSN homepage, and it happens more than people realize, not nearly as much as idiots going around and knocking up women and leaving alone to raise the kids and go on government assistance, if I had may way we'd string those idiots up by the shorthairs.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:11 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Gah, a little math is in order. If they're 45 and coaching little league they had the kid in their 30s. I'm 44, it the kid was conceived today, I'd be 45. So we're talking mid 50s when driving to hockey at 6am, soccer, band practices, little league, etc etc etc, and 60s when paying for college and moving in and out of dorms, then late 60s when you're helping them get established with a career etc. I keep in pretty darn good shape and I plan on continuing that, but I see the toll it takes on my older brother and others I know in their late 40s and 50s trying to keep up with pre teen and teen boys. They're exhausted and it wears on them.

Is it doable? Yeah, to the determent of both the kid and yourself. I just don't think it is very responsible. Certainly not fair to the child, IMO.
IMO, you are clueless. Sorry to be so blunt, but (as a school/community volunteer) I'm around probably hundreds of parents this age (I live in an affluent community where parents tend to be older). We are the age of your brother with pre-teen/teen boys and have no trouble keeping up.... Why is it so hard for them? Sounds like they are ill-prepared for some reason. Your observations do not match mine. All our friends/family had kids in their late 30s/40s/50s after advanced degrees, starting businesses, world travel, etc... We come from a community of high achieving people/parents, who are greatly involved in their children's lives/activities, and everyone seems to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. As previous poster said, "happy as clams."

It's funny you bring up hockey, because last week my 55 y.o. hubby drove a kid to an out of state hockey tournament- are 6 AM games somehow supposed to be hard for us old parents? I'll let him know. In the fall, he coached lacrosse and soccer (as he's done for many years). He also coaches baseball and basketball. My kids are in multiple school/community bands so we are constantly carting them around (with large, heavy instruments/amps). Again, not too hard, but lots of fun. We ALL jog together, long-distance cycle, competitive ski - no one is too old and left behind.

We have the flexibility to take off at any time for extended trips, sports, a middle of the day school performance - we miss nothing and appreciate every moment. The kids are great students, volunteer for some great causes - all happy, well-adjusted, and thoroughly loved.

Paying for college/their career is not even an issue - why would we need to work into our 60s (although maybe we would want to work as we love our careers)? Remember everyone doesn't have a similar life experience as you/your brother. We can stop working at any time. We are financially set to get them into the best schools (which they are enrolled in now) and colleges, so they will get the best education for future careers. Or, they may choose to work in our business.

All the above was possible because we had kids later in life (hubby 40+) after we established ourselves financially, built our careers, got some wanderlust out of our systems, and became a bit more wise and stable... And you consider this all a "detriment" and "irresponsible?" Our kids are incredibly fortunate to have the lives they have.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 12-07-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
All the above was possible because we had kids later in life (hubby 40+) after we established ourselves financially, got some wanderlust out of our systems, and became a bit more wise and stable, and you consider this all a "detriment" and "irresponsible."

40 plus is one thing, 68, not so much, I cant see why you keep bring this up, wer'e talking oranges and apples here.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:15 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post

I agree that celebrity stuff is fluff. But I also agree with moxiegal: celebrities want to make it our business. Rest assured Ron Wood's press team is sending/posting a steady flow of press releases, tweets, photo ops, etc about it to/on all formats of media. It's great marketing for Mr. Woods and the Stones (whom I LOVE).

Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'm "bitching and moaning" about this subject because I saw it on my MSN homepage, and it happens more than people realize,
"More than people realize"? Any stats- at all?

ETA: Still waiting on the twins being born via fertility treatments number...

Old 12-07-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
"More than people realize"? Any stats- at all?

ETA: Still waiting on the twins being born via fertility treatments number...
LOL, whatever, I'm talking anecdotally and never pretended to provide stats.

What is this, a HS homework assignment, go look it yourself if you care to.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
LOL, whatever, I'm talking anecdotally and never pretended to provide stats.

What is this, a HS homework assignment, go look it yourself if you care to.

No need, thanks.

The "whatever" in your response was all I needed to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting