Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:19 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm surprised this is your stance on this^ when you had this to say about working moms:

People totally underestimate the importance of a single, invested, solid and stable caregiver in the first months and years of life.

If that is their choice, I'm cool with it. But paying for college is not nearly as important as giving your child that time and attention...

Sorry...but dealing with attachment (adoption, fostering, step kids), I feel strongly about that. And people who work with children (therapists, doctors, etc) have told me the same.
lol you spent all that time to search up and find a quote to try to ...what? Show you were surprised by my reply? I mean I could show the major holes in the comparison between spending a weekend with grandparents and spending most of your waking hours in a day care or with a sitter. But w/e. Its kind of funny. I am flattered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,374,503 times
My mom watched my kids usually from Sat to Sun twice a month when we lived near her. That was a great set up for us. Every weekend wouldn't work, but I'm sure it's nice for some.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This couple sends their toddler to stay with his parents every weekend so they can "recharge" their marriage.

Mom Hits Back at Critics of Her Child-Free Weekend Parenting Style - Us Weekly

A break is always nice, but I'm not sure my parents would have done it EVERY weekend. Anyone else try this?
LOL!! My mom would never have tolerated having a grandchild all day, much less all weekend!!

Nah, I think these 2 parents are not doing the best thing here. Never heard of anyone doing that.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Sounds like crappy parents to me. Kinda like the nanny that raises the kids not the parents.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL!! My mom would never have tolerated having a grandchild all day, much less all weekend!!

Nah, I think these 2 parents are not doing the best thing here. Never heard of anyone doing that.
I lived in a neighborhood that had many 1st gen asian children. The parents immigrated and made life here, had children and SO MANY of the grandparents came to the US and moved in to be a full+ time caregiver to the babies.

There are other cultural examples that come to mind where the grandparents play a big role in raising of children. Reading this story it just reminds me of those cultures.

Not so much my children. My kids haven't stayed alone with (or even met) my parents and once stayed alone with my FIL (so we could have a quick dinner out) and he put a diaper on backwards and switched the baby food and toddler food. Goodness!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Every weekend is too much. They both work, right? When do they spend time as a family, or with the kid?
^^^^ This. Nothing to add.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Sounds like crappy parents to me. Kinda like the nanny that raises the kids not the parents.
I have neighbors who are 2 professionals. They have 4 kids from preschool-6th grade. And they have an au pair. 2 of my kids are in the same class as their kids, but they are all in the same school. There are several lessons my kids and their kids are in through the week outside of school.

And I have only seen the parents ONCE...from afar...in the dark! And we are neighbors! The au pair takes the kids EVERYWHERE! Even special events and performances at the school. Morning, noon and night, she is working. She even walks the dog early in the morning and they don't. Some times I wonder if she killed them and put their bodies in the basement...

So that...that is truly crappy parenting.

If spending 2 days at grandma's house on the weekend works for the family...why the fuss? It is a family member, an important family member. Someone who likely loves and nurtures the child. I mean...i guess if I saw the parent's schedule was working full time through the week and then they dropped off the kid, I would question it. But I haven't seen prove of that at all.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
lol you spent all that time to search up and find a quote to try to ...what? Show you were surprised by my reply? I mean I could show the major holes in the comparison between spending a weekend with grandparents and spending most of your waking hours in a day care or with a sitter. But w/e. Its kind of funny. I am flattered.
I have a good memory. It wasn't hard.

I wonder why they don't do one night/week or every other weekend, or something. The whole weekend, every weekend is excessive any way you slice it. Less so, I guess, if neither of them works, and they spend all day and night all together M-F, but I doubt that's the case.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have neighbors who are 2 professionals. They have 4 kids from preschool-6th grade. And they have an au pair. 2 of my kids are in the same class as their kids, but they are all in the same school. There are several lessons my kids and their kids are in through the week outside of school.

And I have only seen the parents ONCE...from afar...in the dark! And we are neighbors! The au pair takes the kids EVERYWHERE! Even special events and performances at the school. Morning, noon and night, she is working. She even walks the dog early in the morning and they don't. Some times I wonder if she killed them and put their bodies in the basement...

So that...that is truly crappy parenting.
Really? You don't know them. You have no idea how they interact with their children. You don't know if the kids will grow up to be successful, productive members of society who will credit their parents for their success.....but you've decided they are "crappy" parents.

For all you know they are a bonded, loving, happy family and Mom and Dad enjoy walking the dog when the nosy neighbors are asleep.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-12-2016 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
I'm sure the grandmother is willing, but when do the parents have any family life? Assuming they work during the week, they're missing out on some of the best experiences parenthood offers, and that's forming your own routines, traditions, and memories. Sad, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting