Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
LOL so funny. Sometimes this board...LOL

All people are doing here is gossiping.
Hardly. Gossip is personal, between people who know the party being discussed. Even if it's a poster being talked about on C-D, it doesn't fall to the level of gossip, because most people here are anonymous.

If anything, C-D is a hotbed of rumors, but the false ones are quickly called out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Moderator cut: delete

This seems like they wanted the idea of kids, and were ok with some of the custodial care, but not really the parenting part.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-13-2016 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: off topic.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
All I see is a great opportunity to know and bond with grandparents who won't be around their whole lives. There sure isn't anything here to criticize the parents about.
When are the parents bonding with their own daughter, is my question.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Do we know their time is limited with their daughter over the week? I haven't seen it said anywhere it was.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
I found it said that the mom works sporadically (including weekends) and that the dad only works afternoons teaching dance lessons and is home with his daughter in the mornings and evenings.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I found it said that the mom works sporadically (including weekends) and that the dad only works afternoons teaching dance lessons and is home with his daughter in the mornings and evenings.
Link please? That would make the situation somewhat moot IMO, but it seems as though that info would have come out in the original story.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:21 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This child's grandparents do not live with them, so that is moot. My mother-in-law lives with us and I agree it's helpful. She does the gardening and light housework and is there if we need a sitter or someone to drive a kid somewhere. The people in the article desire childfree weekends where they can sleep in till 10 and not be parents for two days.

What are these "many cultures around the world" where it's normal for children to live with their grandparents in separate houses all weekend? Not in the same house or in another cottage on the property, because that's not the case here.
Right!^^

I was beginning to wonder if someone was going to point out the GLARING difference between inter-generational living arrangements, and living a "child-free lifestyle" every single weekend...

Old 05-13-2016, 06:18 PM

649 posts, read 570,991 times
Every weekend is a lot and someday when this little girl is all grown up I suspect that these parents are going to regret all the time they missed with their child.

I have a toddler and I don't have any grandparents knocking down my door to watch my child but even if I did I wouldn't let her go every single weekend. One weekend a month would be absolutely divine or maybe even every other Saturday but I would miss her too much to have her gone every weekend.

Anyway, in the almost two years since my daughter has been alive she's only spent the night away from us three times and we've only been out alone maybe seven times total. This year we've only been out alone twice which isn't nearly enough. I don't know if these parents are lucky or selfish or maybe a little bit of both.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
EVERY weekend? Good grief. I have no idea how much time two working "celebrities" can spend with their kid during the week, but for the rest of us, that is precious time to be together as a family. ONE overnight visit a month would be heaven, or a weekend a few times a year. Wanting to be away from your child nearly 30% of the time is not reasonable, I feel.
Eh...rich people for generations have sent their kids off to boarding schools thousands of miles away from the time they are very young...how is this any different? Celebrities and the rich live in a completely different realm than the rest of us and don't play by the same rules...they don't even apply.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:27 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why do you have a question about someone you will never meet and know nothing about? I'm sure you can get all judgy about stuff in your own life

Same to everyone asking for proof, links, etc. showing how many minutes per day the parents spend with the child. Do you all live in Peyton Place ? Super bored? Extremely insecure about yourselves? There has to be something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting