Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 08:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
As usual, the flurry of comments saying tha girl is wrong. How different are we than the Arabs or those who oppress women?
LOL the comments are getting more ridiculous.

Perhaps you'd like to go to Saudi Arabia and experience how different we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
We are worlds different. No equivalency at all.

And I didn't read any comments the girl was wrong but plenty that said next time consider this or that. (a bit of chest beating and bravado but this is the internet) Most have been proud of her or sympathetic.

She is just a kid and hasn't learned yet. Now she knows.
Exactly.

Nothing wrong with being strong and able to defend yourself. The mom is allowed to be angry, but she shouldn't be surprised that her daughter's actions also had consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM

838 posts, read 555,633 times
Innocent until proven guilty.

Boy was obviously assaulted. Daughter admitted to assaulting him. Suspended.

Now the school needs to do their due diligence in proving his guilt by interviewing other student who witnessed it happening; assuming the boy is pleading the 5th. If, after an inquiry, they find he was the initial aggressor, they should suspend him too and, IMHO, be required to take a sexual harassment class on mom and dad's dime.

Did her martial arts training instinct take over? Perhaps.
Did he grab her butt and start retreating before she turned around? Maybe. And it may have only been when she told him to F off did he turn around to face her again.

He shouldn't have done what he did. No question.
She shouldn't have inflicted vigilante justice but instead report his bad act to the teacher first; not second. Especially if he was, at the time of the one-two punch, no longer a threat. But if she felt that he was still trying to go after her for another grab, her actions can be justified.

Then again, I am 40 something years old and typing this with a fully formed brain. When I was a teenager, my brain wasn't very rational and made me say and do things I wouldn't do today as an adult.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeen View Post
I am SO angry! It's really great I found a parenting forum because I need it. Why is it kids that defend themselves no matter how justifiable get in trouble?? My daughter who is 16 was walking to one of her classes when a boy started heckling her, when she told him to scram (what she said was worse, my daughter isn't afraid to stand up for herself) he grabbed her rear!

Now lots of other girls would be in shock or so surprised they just take it and tell a teacher but not my daughter. She immediately turned around, punched him in the face two times. Now my daughter is 5'10, takes martial arts and even lifts weights as well as other physically demanding things so she can hit pretty hard!

Well before even my daughter could tell what happened the boy (who is part of the football team no less) went straight to the principal so I get a call at work and immediately go up there. And my daughter is there and so is the boy with his mother and he is CRYING and bleeding from his nose! She got him good but was acting like the victim. The principal told me my daughter was suspended for five days and the whole "violence is never acceptable" speech despite HIM grabbing my daughter!

Even the boys mother was giving me real dirty looks. My daughter explained her case and it was obviously self-defense but that didn't seem to matter. Not that I want my daughter to use violence but in that case it was certainly justified.

I took my daughter home and said she was in the right and she wouldn't be in trouble at home.

But again, while I don't advocate violence I am proud of her, proud of her for not just taking it and turning this football player into a cry baby

I still find it absurd my daughter was suspended. I hate this zero tolerance or zero brain approach schools have.
You SHOULD be proud of her! You've raised a strong woman as your daughter. Not only (obviously) physically strong, but ethically strong as well.. She knows what he did wasn't right, and corrected it!

If you ever see that boys mom again, I'd make it perfectly clear that 'if your son decides to ever touch my daughter the way he touched her that day, not only will SHE react just as she did before, but I will put sexual assault charges against him after she's done with him!'

Your point will (once again!) be made, and little Johnny will, I'm sure, reconsider those actions he did to your daughter as I'm sure he's not going to live down having a GIRL beat him up...
Please high-five your daughter for me - I think what she did was awesome in that some other girl won't ever have to worry about Johnny doing to them as he did to her... that is, if he has 1/2 a brain...

Old 06-10-2016, 10:33 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
"It is the second person that starts the fight."

NEVER. If the first person behaved there would be no problem.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:34 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Dangerous Precedent: (yet another predictably unpopular opinion by coschristi)

Soooo tired of seeing pop culture influence endangering women.

Example:

FICTION - Every hot, new movie has multiple scenes of some size 2, 20-something female "agent" putting her "fast & furious" moves on the bad guy & saves the day.

DANGEROUS PRECEDENT - 2 kids, in a controlled enviorment surrounded by other students, school admins & parents just a phone call away. Female pulls her "fast & furious moves", looks like a hero, male with roving hands & bloody nose looks like a zero.

REAL LIFE - Female leaves work at 10pm, while walking to her car encounters full grown male predator who has plans that go waaay beyond his hands. Instead of staying calm & using her brains to stay alive, female pulls her "fast & furious moves".

Females body found in dumpster following morning.

Now, I'm not saying "f&f moves" never saved anyone. There are plenty of cases in which fighting back saved a womans life, as well as plenty where intuitive manipulation of events did also.

I'm just betting that the knee-jerk "Oh yeah? Watch THIS!" reaction is what gets us killed.
I am sorry that it's this way. The story that Jill can do anything that Jack can is just that, it's a story.

I'm a big girl too (5'10"). I ran 5k's, 10k's & swam on swim team. I was the arm-wrestling champ in the 6th grade.

Imagine my humiliation when one day, 6 months pregnant, I had to go to work in the morning with 2 black eyes. My last words before I got those black eyes were "I'll do what I want, MF!"

I'm no longer in harms way because I used my brains. This wasn't the first time & it happened plenty when I wasn't pregnant too.

I have teenage daughters & I cringe when I hear them boast about "I beat all the boys today at rock-climbing workouts!"

Great, I'm happy you are healthy & strong, but don't fool yourself.

This. Is. So. Dangerous.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Anti-bullying zero tolerance policies actual promote bullying because they teach kids NOT to defend themselves and to tattle so someone else can fix the problem. They also are restricting freedom of speech (but that is another topic).

It is creating a generation of, for lack of a better term, immature babies who are unable to take care of conflict who are taught to run to "authority" to "fix it."

Old 06-10-2016, 10:49 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Anti-bullying zero tolerance policies actual promote bullying because they teach kids NOT to defend themselves and to tattle so someone else can fix the problem. They also are restricting freedom of speech (but that is another topic).

It is creating a generation of, for lack of a better term, immature babies who are unable to take care of conflict who are taught to run to "authority" to "fix it."
Cannot agree with you more... those same 'immature babies' will then, because they've been brainwashed in our public schools (for lack of a better term) to run to the 'authority' to 'fix it' meaning - they lose there job and they will sit on the couch watching Jerry Springer while eating bon-bons on their 60" flat screen tv and texting on their Obama phone because they are 'entitled'....

The lack of personal responsibility is killing me... it's killing all of us, yet we allow it...

Old 06-10-2016, 11:16 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
She should have went straight to the principal, obviously the principal took action, but by taking matters into her own hands now she is the one in trouble. Assault / battery charges could still be filed against her.
This!

Old 06-10-2016, 12:23 PM

473 posts, read 548,449 times
The girl was wrong.

She should not have punched him twice in the face.

One kick in the nut would've suffice.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:37 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Dangerous Precedent: (yet another predictably unpopular opinion by coschristi)

Soooo tired of seeing pop culture influence endangering women.

Example:

FICTION - Every hot, new movie has multiple scenes of some size 2, 20-something female "agent" putting her "fast & furious" moves on the bad guy & saves the day.

DANGEROUS PRECEDENT - 2 kids, in a controlled enviorment surrounded by other students, school admins & parents just a phone call away. Female pulls her "fast & furious moves", looks like a hero, male with roving hands & bloody nose looks like a zero.

REAL LIFE - Female leaves work at 10pm, while walking to her car encounters full grown male predator who has plans that go waaay beyond his hands. Instead of staying calm & using her brains to stay alive, female pulls her "fast & furious moves".

Females body found in dumpster following morning.

Now, I'm not saying "f&f moves" never saved anyone. There are plenty of cases in which fighting back saved a womans life, as well as plenty where intuitive manipulation of events did also.

I'm just betting that the knee-jerk "Oh yeah? Watch THIS!" reaction is what gets us killed.
I am sorry that it's this way. The story that Jill can do anything that Jack can is just that, it's a story.

I'm a big girl too (5'10"). I ran 5k's, 10k's & swam on swim team. I was the arm-wrestling champ in the 6th grade.

Imagine my humiliation when one day, 6 months pregnant, I had to go to work in the morning with 2 black eyes. My last words before I got those black eyes were "I'll do what I want, MF!"

I'm no longer in harms way because I used my brains. This wasn't the first time & it happened plenty when I wasn't pregnant too.

I have teenage daughters & I cringe when I hear them boast about "I beat all the boys today at rock-climbing workouts!"

Great, I'm happy you are healthy & strong, but don't fool yourself.

This. Is. So. Dangerous.
Wait, what? Women shouldn't defend themselves against sexual assault or do better at sports than men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting