Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

I really think a student should have some skin in the game when it comes to costs. If parents *can* help, I think that is great. And I think it helps make it more likely your child will go to college. But...sending kids to college (full ride) is far beyond most parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:53 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Absolutely not. Your parents' first responsibility in setting aside money for the future is their own retirement. If they choose to put money aside for college after that, it's very generous, but it doesn't make them better parents than those who do not.
I disagree completely. Parents' first responsibility is to their children. Retirement is a luxury that must take a back seat to the needs of the children.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,300,581 times
We have put money into 529 plans for the kids but by the time they graduate high school, they'll be lucky if it covers a year of study at an in-state public school. We have also put money into general savings accounts for the kids that they will "take over" upon reaching the age of 18. We've told them early and often that if they want to go to college, they need to excel in school so as to qualify for every scholarship they can possibly get and that the 529 will likely not cover more than a year of school unless they opt to go to community college and live at home while in school (which I've said they are welcome to do with the caveat that they move out on their own upon graduation).

I'm not a bad parent. I'm a parent that doesn't see college as being necessary for success. Yes, I went to college, and yes, my parents paid for most of it (the rest was paid for via scholarhips, loans in my name, and doing paid work study all four years with that money being applied directly to my tuition), but that was 25 years ago. Times have changed, and 4-year degrees aren't as necessary as they once were. But let's face it - upon graduation I became a word processor - I didn't need a degree for that.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I disagree completely. Parents' first responsibility is to their children. Retirement is a luxury that must take a back seat to the needs of the children.
Many financial advisors say the opposite.

The parents' responsibility to their children is to provide shelter, clothing, food, etc. It is NOT to provide a college education.

When the discussion between COLLEGE FOR THE KIDS versus RETIREMENT FOR THE PARENTS, many financial advisors recommend focusing on retirement.

Here is just ONE article of many that discuss that very topic:

Which Comes First: Saving Money for Your Retirement? Or Your Kid's College? | Personal Finance | US News

Old 08-01-2016, 01:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,087 times
My parents raised seven kids on a Soldier's salary and didn't set aside a dime for anyone's education. We all joined the military and those of us who wanted to attend college did so on the G.I. Bill after our enlistment. If parents have the means and want to save money for their kids' college, more power to them. But many parents aren't in that position, and shouldn't be viewed negatively because of it.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
As far as I know the only cultures that support that view are the cultures where the elderly parents move in with their children and it is the total responsibility of the children to support and care for their parents as long as the parents are alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Many financial advisors say the opposite.

The parents' responsibility to their children is to provide shelter, clothing, food, etc. It is NOT to provide a college education.

When the discussion between COLLEGE FOR THE KIDS versus RETIREMENT FOR THE PARENTS, many financial advisors recommend focusing on retirement.

Here is just ONE article of many that discuss that very topic:

Which Comes First: Saving Money for Your Retirement? Or Your Kid's College? | Personal Finance | US News

Old 08-01-2016, 01:21 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Parents' first responsibility is to their children. Retirement is a luxury that must take a back seat to the needs of the children.
Retirement is not a luxury.
And a college education is not a parental responsibility.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:24 PM

To the person who anonymously messaged me that degrees are MORE important today - they are only important if you are going into an industry that requires higher learning, such as STEM.

But there are many of us out there who feel that 4-year colleges can (and should) be avoided. I'm encouraging my kids to consider ALL their options - tech schools, community colleges, as well as in-state schools. BUT, I'm not forcing my kids to go to college, and should they get into a school that costs big money, they will need to figure out a way to pay for it since their 529s may only cover a semester or two.

There are plenty of careers out there that don't require a 4-year degree. In many instances, a 2-year degree will suffice, if at all.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think the expectations that parents always pay for college is a more recent thing.

I graduated college 12 years ago. Everyone of my peers had student loans. I've kept in touch with 15-20 or so and we often discussed the progress of our student loans, and even had parties when one person finished paying them off. I know my sample size is small, but my opinion is that parents paying for college seems to be a more recent theme, otherwise we wouldn't have article after article on how student loan debt is crippling millennials across the country.

In my opinion, parents should focus more on retirement, than college. The best gift a parent can give their child is not saddling them with the burden of taking care of an aging parent when they should be focused on their own personal life, kids, marriage, etc.

I never expected my parents to pay for my college, and I certainly don't fault them for it.
I think the opposite. I graduated 20 years ago and most people I knew had college expenses paid by parents. People in my parents generation could, in general, more easily afford to both save for college, and retirement. It's more difficult now with many companies doing away with paid retirement.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:01 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
No way! Because if you don't plan for it then your kid is going to have to take care of you or you are going to be very poor living of SSI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting