Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I sure don't remember a blood test on my kid just the typical nasal swab, but tested positive for the flu (general) and had paperwork a couple of days later stating the type. This was not a state health agency. She tested positive (general) on the day of the visit and was prescribed Tamiflu, which was a godsend! I can't recall if it was A or B, didn't matter to me. For the record, since we're talking about flu vaccines, she had not received either the shot or the mist.
The enzyme or rapid tests really only tell if you have the flu, even the ones that differentiate between just subgroup(a or b) are not particularly reliable (something like 30% false negs if I remember correctly) to determine strain (I.e. H1n1 or not). To do that you need pcr and blood is always better than snot for that one.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The enzyme or rapid tests really only tell if you have the flu, even the ones that differentiate between just subgroup(a or b) are not particularly reliable (something like 30% false negs if I remember correctly) to determine strain (I.e. H1n1 or not). To do that you need pcr and blood is always better than snot for that one.
Those rapid tests do not attempt to tell the strain, just A or B, at least the one we used in our office.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:27 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm not an anti-vaxer, but I've polled a number of friends and parents in this area, and found that many who get the vaccine get the flu anyway, while the majority of those who don't get the vax never get the flu. So it seems quite ineffective. For that reason, my children, husband and I never get vaxed, and we've never had the flu. It's not a philosophical position, more of a "why bother?"
That has been our experience. Despite their claims that you can't get it from the vaccine, evidence all around me always indicated otherwise. This is really a money maker for big pharma.

Also, I know the difference between the flu virus and the norovirus. So many people get the flu vaccines thinking they will prevent the norovirus which they do not. The flu virus is cold-like like not stomach/intestinal.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That has been our experience. Despite their claims that you can't get it from the vaccine, evidence all around me always indicated otherwise. This is really a money maker for big pharma.

1) You got the flu shot in flu season, correct? When flu is all around you, correct? And yet the extrapolation is you got the flu from the shot? Do you see my point?

2) There is far more money to be made from a flu epidemic than the flu shot.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
1) You got the flu shot in flu season, correct? When flu is all around you, correct? And yet the extrapolation is you got the flu from the shot? Do you see my point?
I am not the poster being addressed, but that poster had quoted me. I did not say anyone gets the flu from the vaccine. I said people get the flu anyway; that is, they get the flu despite the vaccine. Just for the record.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Also, I know the difference between the flu virus and the norovirus. So many people get the flu vaccines thinking they will prevent the norovirus which they do not. The flu virus is cold-like like not stomach/intestinal.
Ok, big pharma is the devil...but are major hospitals stupid? Because major, world class hospitals give out flu vaccines at a loss to employees, their family and sometimes even the entire community. I happen to know big hospitals don't like to lose money, they are doing it to decrease hospital related deaths (which brings down their rankings). Are they that dumb to continue to take a financial loss to give out all these vaccines if they know they don't work and don't reduce flu and hospital related deaths?

Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM

While some people know the difference between a stomach bug (aka stomach flu) and the actual flu...few can tell the difference between a cold virus and the flu virus. I cant tell you how many times people said they had the flu when it was clearly a cold virus or a post viral bacterial infection.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:53 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

2) There is far more money to be made from a flu epidemic than the flu shot.
With the exception of a few anti-virals (such as Tamiflu) there is not much money to be made from an epidemic.

With a virus you are basically treating a symptom whereas a bacterial infection can be treated with antibiotics.

Even if you sell chicken soup & humidifiers it's not going to be the big ticket item that a vaccine is.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
With the exception of a few anti-virals (such as Tamiflu) there is not much money to be made from an epidemic.

With a virus you are basically treating a symptom whereas a bacterial infection can be treated with antibiotics.

Even if you sell chicken soup & humidifiers it's not going to be the big ticket item that a vaccine is.
Flu related complications fill up the hospital wards. Flu related deaths get the funeral homes business.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^There is a category called "ILI"-influenza like illnesses. Many viruses cause similar symptoms, e.g. body aches, cough, fever, fatigue. If a quick-test is negative and there is really some important reason to have an exact diagnosis, a blood test can be ordered and sometimes will come back negative as well.

It's good so many people on here know the difference between gastroenteritis and influenza. Many people do not, as evidenced by the many hits on a Google search. Here is one example:
Influenza or Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis)?

Unfortunately, some links perpetuate the myth, including (!) Mayo Clinic:
Viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu) - Mayo Clinic

I did an article on food safety once for a newsletter and found that many cases of "flu" around the winter holidays are really food poisoning.

Here's an article that talks about colds vs flu:
Is It a Cold or the Flu?

Many adults talk about flu hitting them like a truck; they can tell you exactly when they got symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting