Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Despite their claims that you can't get it from the vaccine, evidence all around me always indicated otherwise.
The injectable flu vaccine contains inactivated virus. You cannot get flu from it.

The nasal mist contains virus that has been altered so that it cannot survive except at the relatively lower temperature in the nose. You cannot get flu from it.

The non-specific effects of revving up the immune system can cause mild symptoms for a few days, such as low grade fever and muscle aches, but that is not "flu".

The vaccine takes about two weeks to work. Someone who truly gets flu soon after taking the vaccine was either already exposed and incubating the virus when he took the vaccine or is infected with a strain* not included in the vaccine. The vaccines contain three or four strains.

*As far as testing for flu is concerned, there is a difference between type and strain. In office tests can sometimes determine which type (A or B) is present. Testing for specific strain (a subgroup of type) is not usually done except at sites set up to do monitoring for the CDC. They send samples to CDC labs which can determine the strain.

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

"WHO and NREVSS collaborating laboratories, which include both public health and clinical laboratories located in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia, report to CDC the total number of respiratory specimens tested for influenza and the number positive for influenza by virus type. In addition, public health laboratories also report the influenza A subtype (H1 or H3) and influenza B lineage information of the viruses they test and the age or age group of the persons from whom the specimens were collected."

Old 09-08-2016, 02:35 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
My son had the mist a couple of times but he found it uncomfortable and is fine getting shots instead so that's what we do. I'm required to get one for work which they provide (I'm non-clinical but work in a hospital) but I go with him to the flu shot clinic they run at our HMO since I'd have to take him in anyway. No charge for me either way. And they make it super easy - no need to show up at a special time with a long line of people, they have someone there every day from 9 to 6 and you can pop in whenever you want. I've never had to wait for more than 5 minutes.

While people can get the flu after the vaccine, it reduces your odds enough that I still feel it's worth it, and apparently, it can at least reduce the severity to some extent if you do end up being one of the people who gets it. Worth it for both me and the kiddo IMO.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
My family usually gets the flu shot. A few years ago my daughter and I never got around to getting it. So we got the flu. It was awful until we got Tamiflu, which worked very well. My husband and son had gotten the shot, and did not catch the flu from us.

We will be getting the shots this year. I don't mind the mist being unavailable, my son did get the mist once and was more bothered by it than he usually is with the shots. We always, always, go straight to Baskin Robbins immediately after getting any shot, so my kids usually just grin and bear it to get their ice cream.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
My family usually gets the flu shot. A few years ago my daughter and I never got around to getting it. So we got the flu. It was awful until we got Tamiflu, which worked very well. My husband and son had gotten the shot, and did not catch the flu from us.

We will be getting the shots this year. I don't mind the mist being unavailable, my son did get the mist once and was more bothered by it than he usually is with the shots. We always, always, go straight to Baskin Robbins immediately after getting any shot, so my kids usually just grin and bear it to get their ice cream.
Thats how I felt. I hate things up my nose!

Old 09-09-2016, 12:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Reckon I'd hate the mist too, something sprayed up my nose sounds worse than a quick jab. Need to check when they start offering the jabs round here.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:40 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Those rapid tests do not attempt to tell the strain, just A or B, at least the one we used in our office.
It was rapid test, she had flu (general). It was only a day or two later that they gave me paper work stating the strain. I have no dog in this hunt, didn't matter to me at all what strain it was, but they did give me a print out saying what type it was. Just my experience.

Found this https://labtestsonline.org/understan.../flu/tab/test/ They obviously cultured my child's sample for whatever reason. Perhaps they were trying to figure out what strains were circulating locally? Nonetheless, they can differentiate strains taken in a rapid test (after culturing) and in my kid's case, for whatever reason, they did.

Last edited by TXNGL; 09-09-2016 at 02:05 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 01:43 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
While some people know the difference between a stomach bug (aka stomach flu) and the actual flu...few can tell the difference between a cold virus and the flu virus. I cant tell you how many times people said they had the flu when it was clearly a cold virus or a post viral bacterial infection.
That always surprises me. One can have a God awful cold and be miserable, but that's nothing comparable to influenza!

Old 09-09-2016, 07:52 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Doesn't work. Scientific research backs the fact that it does not work. It's a moneymaker for the pharma companies. Don't bother.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Au contraire, the scientific evidence last year said the vaccine was about 60% effective. Having had the flu several times, I'll take it.
Flu Vaccine Nearly 60 Percent Effective | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Au contraire, the scientific evidence last year said the vaccine was about 60% effective. Having had the flu several times, I'll take it.
Flu Vaccine Nearly 60 Percent Effective | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC
Every year it is different. It's a guessing game, unlike the other vaccines that are specific. And a 40% failure rate is hardly "successful."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting