Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 PM

9 posts, read 9,903 times

Advertisements

Will def check out these books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 10:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudParkie View Post
I'm a teenage parent, or, was, however you want to put it. I'm 23 now and became a dad at 18, my daughter Ava is 5 now. Unfortunately her mom is not in her life, she just wanted no part of parenthood. It was a complete miracle I was able to raise a kid and get through college( actually my parents did help out).

It's just, I'm stressing out now because as she gets older it's just going to get harder and I second guess every decision with her. When she begs to stay up I don't know how to respond. If she refuses to eat veggies I have no idea what to do. I don't want to be a strict parent, yet I know I can't be a parent that lets the 5 year old have free reign who'll turn into a disastrous teenager. I have little to no idea what I'm doing and the future freaks me out.
OP, there are parenting classes available in your community that can help tremendously! I knew a mom of teenagers who was at wit's end, but after she took a series of classes, her rebellious teens settled right down! She learned how to draw boundaries, and other important skills. Google "parenting classes" and see what comes up.

P.S. Be firm when she begs you about staying up late. Otherwise, you'll set a precedent as a pushover. You don't want to go there!

Old 10-31-2016, 10:47 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
She knows all the little tricks to getting what she wants( I.E. wanting water when it's bedtime in order to stay up later or puppy dog sad eyes when she doesn't want to eat veggies). Sometimes I give in but other times I don't
That's the issue. You are not being consistent. Start being consistent.

When my son was 4, he started throwing terrible temper tantrums, but only at his dad's (we were divorced by that time).

With me, he'd occassionally take a jab at it, but I just turned him off. Whatever it was he was tantrumming over, it was an immediate, automatic, unchangeable no. So he really didn't try it with me much.

One day he tried a tantrum in the car and I told him "Well, now its a definite no to what you wanted, where before it was a maybe. Why do you keep trying this? You KNOW it doesn't work with me."

He immediately stopped crying (all beet red in the face he was, too, LOL!) and said: "Why not? It works with my DAD."

I told his dad all about this conversation and he STILL never got over the whole giving-in-to-tantrums thing. He just plain didn't believe me, was the issue.

Fortunately (as I was intent on raising a decent human being) he got over it even with his dad. Not because of anything his dad did but because he just took to the training. As long as *I* was consistent with him, and honest, and all that goes along with being an up-front parent, he learned to do Right even when he knew he could use Might (the power of the tantrum!), even when I was not around.

Really that is the ultimate goal of every parent - for your child to do Right even when you are not around.

To help them learn to do that you must (among other things) be consistent and fair.

Consistent means you have set rules for things like bedtime and what happens if you don't eat your vegetables.

Fair means the consequences are not unrelated to the behavior or over the top.

Sending a child to bed without dinner is always unfair and unreasonable.

Telling them no desert or some other special food item that they particularly love if they won't eat the veggies is reasonable, but insisting that they eat EVERY type of vegetable at all times is unfair.

So if they really really really hate broccoli, asparagus, and beets, but they will eat peas, green beans, carrots, and lima beans - it would be unfair to only offer them the first three when the last 4 will do just as well on a regular basis.

The issue with veggies is to find something (other than corn) that they will eat, not to force them to eat all kinds of vegetables whether cooked or raw or deep fried or what have you. Then offer those choices to them regularly, with only occasional forays into "new" items, and even rarer offerings of something they say they hate. Thus they should rarely be missing the special treat.

Another way to approach the veggie issue is to let your daughter select the next day's meal, within reason of course. So have her pick her favorite foods in all categories - protein, vegetable, drink, and dessert. Make a list of these items. So "chocolate cake" would not be an entre, LOL!

So alternate who gets to set the menu each evening. You could take M, W and F, and she could do T, Th, and Sa. You could alternate Sundays or make it a "free" day and let her always pick Sunday no matter what.

So if she eats her veggies on the days you set the menu, she gets her choice of menu the next day.

But if she doesn't eat her veggies (and you're being reasonable about it, not trying to force her to eat something you KNOW she hates), then YOU get to set the menu the next day - and no desert for her tonight.

If it all works out, you might be eating hot dogs, mac 'n cheese, and fish sticks three days out of the week, but at least she will be (usually) eating her veggies at least on those days that she sets the menu.

And btw - sweet corn doesn't count as a "vegetable". Make corn a "special treat" if she likes it. But it has almost no nutritional value, unfortunately. I speak as a lover of sweet corn. It's really a grain anyway. I love it above all other things vegetable-like (with the possible exception of watermelon) but I also acknowledge its failure to add anything substantive to my diet, LOL!

Do go easy on the desert thing. When I was a kid, dessert was often canned peaches or other fruit rather than cake and pie and the like. If she really likes bananas, or apples, or something like that, make that her desert more often than not. Save the ice cream and pie and cake for holidays and birthdays. Muffins might make a good desert once in awhile, too.

Bedtimes are usually not that hard. A consistent rule for bedtime at 8 PM is fair for a 5 year-old. Maybe 9 PM on a school night for a teenager. And yes, it has been decades since I was a teenager, so maybe that seems a bit early by today's standards.

But regardless, nothing past 10 AM and that only if they're keeping their grades up to the best of their abilities. Some kids are C students even when they work hard at it so rather than being a jerk about grades per se, be a jerk about getting their homework done and turned in on time, and cooperating in class. As time passes you should be able to judge what is and is not possible for your child academically. Respond to what IS and not what you would like to be.

I don't buy the excuse of staying up late to watch some stupid TV show. That's what there are VCRs, DVD recorders, TVO, and streaming for. Record it and get up early to watch it before school, or stream it earlier in the evening, but bedtime is bedtime and is not to be disrupted for any TV show.

Except maybe the end of the world. I would let my kid stay up late to watch that I guess. Well, actually I would try to distract them from the end of the world by letting them stay up and watch just about anything else, LOL!

Setting bedtime at 6PM would be unfair for just about any age though (unless for some reason your family gets up at 3 AM in the morning to start your day).

Most parenting is just common sense, really. Go to some parenting classes or join a single parent's group, you just need some examples and someone to vent to and find some emotional support for yourself so you can turn around and give that same support right back to your daughter.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:04 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Trolls love shaking up the parenting forum haha.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
My decisions seem to depend on how I feel that day. If I'm tired or had a long day, I don't feel like arguing so then she gets her way, if I'm not tired, then I try and get her to do what I ask
The more you give in to her, the harder it will become to ever get her to do what you want. You're teaching her that if she plays her cards right and catches you at the right time, she gets to run the show. You're relinquishing your adult role, and she gets to be the boss instead of you.

This is how monsters are created. If you think it's bad at 5, wait until she's 15 if you continue like this!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Quote:
My decisions seem to depend on how I feel that day. If I'm tired or had a long day, I don't feel like arguing so then she gets her way, if I'm not tired, then I try and get her to do what I ask
I hope you are listening to what others have said .. about being consistent. Once you establish the rules and are consistent about it, she will learn what they are and believe me it will all be a LOT easier for you and her - so that if you are tired, because there is a routine that is understood already, you won't have to argue at all. She will fall into line without an argument .. because that is what will be expected and she will know it. You will both be MUCH happier and your life will be much simpler and less stressful.

You said your parents helped you when your daughter was younger. Do you think your mother and father were good parents to you - and if so, were they like what has been suggested here? If so, have you talked to them about all this?

Old 11-01-2016, 04:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,546 times
Wink Help around the corner

Single mom here....
Dad.. The best me time, is sunday morning. I go to church. I go to one wgere its super dark during worship.. So its like .. Just me and God time. While i know my 2 babies are well loved, being taught values and love. I also get to meet up with other single moms and dads with kids. . give it a try love..

Old 11-01-2016, 06:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I commend you for being a single father and trying to do what is best for your daughter. :-) My son did the same thing and his daughter is almost 8 and she is a wonderful child.

You've been given excellent advice already; the only thing I would add to it is don't try to be your daughter's friend, you are her father and she needs you to act like her father. Don't be afraid she will think you are mean. Have certain rules and stick to them barring any emergency of course.

Always remember she is a 5 year old, not a mini-adult. Blessings on both of you.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:41 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
I do have a consistency issue. Sometimes she gets to stay up late, other times she doesn't. Sometimes she gets to not eat her vegetables but other times she has to.
We all doubt ourselves when raising kids, so don't think you are the only one.

I have raised 4, who turned out OK, so for what what it's worth, I'd advise you to keep a consistent predictable schedule, because children find comfort in structure. Do not make mealtime a battle. If she doesn't make a good effort at dinner, no dessert or snacks. If she's hungry, she'll eat. If she isn't, she won't. Believe me, my granddaughter lived the first 5 years of her life on 2 bites of Mac & cheese and a chicken nugget.

You must establish the pecking order early on, otherwise you will be in big trouble later. At the same time, pick your battles. We were strict on things like manners and respectfulness, but loosey goosey on the kid's personal expression.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
You sound like you're doing fine. Be strict but not regimental with her.

She is acting the VERY same way she would with two parents, so don't sweat being single. Kids are good at trying to get their own way.

The best piece of advice I was given when my kids were young was:
Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Good for you for sticking with her when you were a teen and she was a baby. She might not show her appreciation when she becomes a teenager, (they hate everyone lol) but she will forever love you as she gets older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting