Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

It is much more important for kids to know about colleges they are likely to go to, whether because they are in their home state or region, have a major that fits their interests, and/or is financially and academically attainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 02:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
In general the "Ivy League" descriptor is used to denote a very prestigious school (i.e. "Both her kids went to an Ivy League school! Wow!" to say that "her" kids are very smart/accomplished/whatever) so I guess some people have taken to using the label to describe *any* school of prestige i.e. Stanford or Duke, which technically isn't correct.

Does it matter though? Absolutely not. It's certainly not something I'd make a point to "teach" my kids. Ivy League schools are good schools, no doubt, but the IL does not have a monopoly on good schools. Focusing on a school that is a good financial/academic/cultural fit, has a strong program for the subject the kid is interested in, etc. is much more important than getting caught up in labels. When I was going through the college search process with my kids, we didn't even consider any of the Ivy League schools or their equivalents because we knew they were way more than what we could afford.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:11 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
(This thread is really intended for those on the west coast. It's probably old knowledge for most of you on the east coast.)

I think it should be mandatory to teach students which colleges are in the Ivy league. This is often confused.

For example, UC-Berkeley is not Ivy league. It's a state college in California. Nor is Caltech or MIT.

There are only 8 Ivy league colleges:
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University

If the college you're talking about is not on the list above, it's not Ivy league.

Why?

And, some of the best colleges in the country are not on that list. Ivies take so many children of alums, including children of celebrities and celebrities themselves - child actors, for example.

There are equally good schools that are not "Ivy League".

"College Confidential" may disagree, but they are wrong. These are not the only "prestigious" colleges in the country.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:12 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Perhaps the OP attended an Ivy League school and is annoyed that others are trying to claim their way into their prestige by identifying other high-quality but non-included schools with the Ivy League.

FWIW, I attended one of the schools on the Ivy list. Its name is the only one on the list that could be easily confused for being a state school. But it's not. The state schools in that particular state have the name of the state first, then "State University" after it. Our pet peeve was constantly having our school confused with the State University.
You went to Penn State?
Yeah, I know several people who went to Penn, it does drive you guys crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Who gives a crap.... At least half of the population won't go to ANY college or university
2/3.

Yeah I can totally see me making a lesson plan about what colleges and universities are Ivies.

OBJECTIVE:
The students will be able to (SWBAT) name the colleges and universities commonly known as the Ivy League with 100% accuracy.
They will be able to list at least two attributes of each with 80% accuracy.

Standard 2.1.3a.4.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-15-2017 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,071 times
I'll say this - I went to an Ivy and it did certainly open doors for me because the name was impressive on my CV, employers came to campus literally all the time (I almost never had to venture off campus to meet a potential employer, internship, etc.), I actually felt less pressure once I got in because didn't feel like I had to make all As, the networking was phenomenal, etc. So first job out of college or grad school, it can make a difference, just like other well-respected, high-ranking schools can. Now 15 years later, no one really cares too much where I went to school or my grades because they're more interested in my work history. Which makes sense, of course.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:04 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
All I know is when I went to prestigious San Diego State University, we were higher rated than any of the east coast "so called ivy league" schools!

Yep. We were the #1 rated college party campus in the country!!! The very first building by the parking lot was the student union / bar with live bands at lunch.

And look where I am today.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
The term Ivy League was created for sports not education.

Why do you care who knows who is in or not?

Can you name the SEC schools? The ACC schools?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:21 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
Who cares what schools are Ivy League and which aren't? That label does not ensure a better education bang for the buck nor does it ensure better employment and pay and quality of life later.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:26 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You went to Penn State?

2/3.

Yeah I can totally see me making a lesson plan about what colleges and universities are Ivies.

OBJECTIVE:
[i]The students will be able to (SWBAT) name the colleges and universities commonly known as the Ivy League with 100% accuracy.
Regular people in the West Coast don't know Penn and Penn state and it annoys me so much too!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
[quote=Nn2036;46838311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You went to Penn State?

2/3.

OBJECTIVE:
[i]The students will be able to (SWBAT) name the colleges and universities commonly known as the Ivy League with 100% accuracy.

Regular people in the West Coast don't know Penn and Penn state and it annoys me so much too!
Why does that matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting