Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 04:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Perhaps the OP attended an Ivy League school and is annoyed that others are trying to claim their way into their prestige by identifying other high-quality but non-included schools with the Ivy League.

FWIW, I attended one of the schools on the Ivy list. Its name is the only one on the list that could be easily confused for being a state school. But it's not. The state schools in that particular state have the name of the state first, then "State University" after it. Our pet peeve was constantly having our school confused with the State University.
UPenn - yup, even people from around here get them mixed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 05:27 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not really. The 8 Ivy League colleges are all in the top-15 nationally. They are all highly selective. Their undergraduate programs cover an enormous amount of material compared to some 3rd tier state school. The students have a much higher intellectual capacity. They're all screening for top-1% students.
None of the Ivy League are in the top 15 except Penn State at #7. Oh wait. Wrong Penn.

We are talking about an athletic conference, right?

Sorry, just can't resist.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Hilarious!!! What benefit might be realized from this mundane knowledge?

Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
...employers came to campus literally all the time...
They came at 3AM Christmas morning???

Old 01-16-2017, 06:09 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,065 times
And just to throw everyone off a bit. Penn State is not a state university, but a "state related" university. In penna there are 14 state universities and 4 state related universities.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
I really do not see why this needs to be 'mandatory', though it is a nice thing to know, fact wise.

Each of the eight are of course among the best colleges and universities in the country, are all in the Northeast and all except one of the eight have in common is this: they date back to the early days of our nation. With the exception of Cornell, each was established in Colonial times, having been founded before 1776.

They were among the earliest and best colleges from an early time in our nation's history, with Harvard being the oldest (1636), followed by Yale (1701/1716), Brown (1764), Columbia (1754), UPenn (1740), Dartmouth (1769), Princeton (1746 as College of New Jersey) and finally Cornell (1865).

Only a few colleges founded before 1776 are not part of the League, such as College of Charleston (1770, public funding) and the College of William and Mary (1693 by royal charter, public since 1906), which are sometimes confused as being part of the Ivy Leagues.
I think this is one major reason why the Ivies are so prestigious. It's not just that they're known as excellent schools, with wealthy connected alumni, but they're very old and like you said, all but one predate the Revolution. They're a very Northeastern/East Coast thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
And just to throw everyone off a bit. Penn State is not a state university, but a "state related" university. In penna there are 14 state universities and 4 state related universities.
It feels like PA has a million colleges and universities. Every year it seems I hear someone from my area that I know going to yet another PA school I've never heard of. Most are definitely private.

Penn State is huge even in NJ. It might just be second to our own Rutgers in local popularity for a public university. But honestly to me it feels like a cult. I'm not saying this necessarily in a bad way, it's just that Penn State people seem to be really crazy for Penn State. Like next level school pride.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Perhaps the OP attended an Ivy League school and is annoyed that others are trying to claim their way into their prestige by identifying other high-quality but non-included schools with the Ivy League.

FWIW, I attended one of the schools on the Ivy list. Its name is the only one on the list that could be easily confused for being a state school. But it's not. The state schools in that particular state have the name of the state first, then "State University" after it. Our pet peeve was constantly having our school confused with the State University.
Didn't you have T-Shirts that say "Not Penn State"?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Reason? It was a constant source of confusion when I was a high school student. People thought that Stanford was an Ivy-league school.
Harvard. The Stanford of the East.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/30/e...t-harvard.html

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 01-16-2017 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Penn State, UPenn....At least it's not the State Pen...

But seriously, who really cares? There are many, many excellent schools, and students should choose the school that is the best fit for their ability, drive, interests, affordability, etc.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That isn't uncommon.

Different schools look at different criteria.

She was probably a better fit for Cornell.

One of my friends is in admissions for NYU. They will take a student from an underachieving high school with a B average and good SATs over a student with the same GPA and SATs from an excellent school system. Theory is that if you can excell in the ghetto, you will thrive at NYU.
NYU is not "in a ghetto". It's in NYC's West Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting