Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 AM

351 posts, read 482,494 times

Advertisements

The Ivy League now is only a sports league. In the past, all the Ivies were considered top schools to go to. Now, that is not the case as there is a definite stratification between the schools. Harvard, Princeton and Yale are the elite. The next level is Columbia, then Penn & Dartmouth, followed by Brown & Cornell.

However scattered between these schools are other excellent schools like Stanford, Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Cal Tech and MIT.

As far as conferences go, knowing the Ivy League is pretty dumb as they are not even Division 1 Football. IMO, the Big 10 should be known first it is the oldest and the name confusing to the uninitiated. Then, in terms of academic excellence as well as sports you should memorize the Pac-12, then the southern conferences (ACC & SEC), followed by the Big 12 (who knows how long they'll be around).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
The Ivy League now is only a sports league. In the past, all the Ivies were considered top schools to go to. Now, that is not the case as there is a definite stratification between the schools. Harvard, Princeton and Yale are the elite. The next level is Columbia, then Penn & Dartmouth, followed by Brown & Cornell.

Not really. The 8 Ivy League colleges are all in the top-15 nationally. They are all highly selective. Their undergraduate programs cover an enormous amount of material compared to some 3rd tier state school. The students have a much higher intellectual capacity. They're all screening for top-1% students.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Regular people in the West Coast don't know Penn and Penn state and it annoys me so much too!
Actually, I got into a "discussion" with someone from Minnesota who posited that Donald Trump was just a regular guy because he sent his kids to a state university, the University of Pennsylvania! (Which even if Trump had sent his kids to Penn State, he would have paid out of state tuition, unless he figured out a way to call himself a PA resident.) But really, so what? Colleges have names, some go back into history like Penn (U of PA). There's no consistent naming system. Not every "University of (insert name of state)" is a land-grant institution, either. Big deal.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I've I deemed this important enough to waste brain cells on, I would teach it to my kids.

However, I don't.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post

It is just something that irks me.

Grand Central Station is a post office in New York. Grand Central Terminal is a train station in New York.

#FirstWorldProblems

Old 01-16-2017, 11:42 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
The Ivy League now is only a sports league.

As far as conferences go, knowing the Ivy League is pretty dumb as they are not even Division 1 Football.

The Ivy League is D-1 and in football they are 1-AA. But they don't give athletic scholarships which makes a lot of people think they are not D-1.

The 1-AA football designation separates them from 1-A football schools like Ohio State and Michigan that place a heavy emphasis on football.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Reason? It was a constant source of confusion when I was a high school student. People thought that Stanford was an Ivy-league school. Nope, sure not.

No, I didn't attend a Ivy league school or prestigious non-Ivy league school.

It is just something that irks me.
Well hell, if we are allowed to decided what is to be taught on a mandatory basis based on what we find irksome I have some threads of my own to make.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well hell, if we are allowed to decided what is to be taught on a mandatory basis based on what we find irksome I have some threads of my own to make.
I'd start with hygiene subjects like soap, deodorant and toilet paper use. And why it's important to take a shower after PE on a 90° day when you've been running your ass back and forth on the soccer field.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:09 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Really!

Of all the things in the world a child needs to know this is what bothers you? At what age do you think we should make this mandatory? Should it be mandatory for parents to teach the child or should it be mandatory that teachers do this?
I taught my kids this in preschool. It was a priority before letters and sounding words. Really.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:40 PM

752 posts, read 1,494,862 times
I really do not see why this needs to be 'mandatory', though it is a nice thing to know, fact wise.

Each of the eight are of course among the best colleges and universities in the country, are all in the Northeast and all except one of the eight have in common is this: they date back to the early days of our nation. With the exception of Cornell, each was established in Colonial times, having been founded before 1776.

They were among the earliest and best colleges from an early time in our nation's history, with Harvard being the oldest (1636), followed by Yale (1701/1716), Brown (1764), Columbia (1754), UPenn (1740), Dartmouth (1769), Princeton (1746 as College of New Jersey) and finally Cornell (1865).

Only a few colleges founded before 1776 are not part of the League, such as College of Charleston (1770, public funding) and the College of William and Mary (1693 by royal charter, public since 1906), which are sometimes confused as being part of the Ivy Leagues.

Last edited by Austin023; 01-16-2017 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: date correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting