Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 09:31 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I have found during my parenting career that my children's intelligence and curiosity were almost always in play on the rare occasions that I had to resort to spanking them.
Lol! Touché!

Not saying my kids haven't faced consequences for their actions, but those consequences weren't spankings.

That was a truly hilarious post, btw.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celesteren View Post
Interesting that no one responded who was spanked as a child. I was. It was the only way my dad could get me to behave. I was very strong willed. But he spanked - he did not beat - and I understood that the spanking was a consequence of my having crossed the line, not the way to solve a problem. Reasoning with me was pointless - I wanted my way, period. Sending me to my room was pointless - I didn't have a room to begin with and was an introvert, so being alone didn't bother me. He spanked me until he noticed that my freedom to leave the house was more of a deterrent than a spanking, then he began to ground me and never laid a finger on me again. It really all depends on the child.
Why do you assume that? (the bolded)

You weren't that strong-willed if a simple spanking was enough for you to give up wanting things "your way," and simply accept that spanking as a logical "consequence" for "crossing a line" Please. You described a compliant child.

A "strong-willed" child thinks "bring it, Pops." Then locks into a battle of wills, practically daring the old man to lose his cool, by not being phased by a simple "spanking." Like how being alone "didn't bother you." After that, the strong willed child tries to figure out ways to be sneakier and not get caught the next time want to "cross the line" or "want their way."

Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
So you have "delightful, intelligent, curious, kind, well-behaved" children?
That's great.
No spanking needed in this case.
But there are plenty of OTHER children out there - strong-willed, rambunctious, daring, outgoing, and sometimes - plain capricious, so every parent better know how to deal with their own children.
What's "not necessary" for certain type of children might be a necessity for the other.
Yes, it is great. But it's not easy. I have spent an extraordinary amount of time and energy striving to be a "good parent" so that my children will flourish.

Can you give some examples of when a spanking would be the best way to deal with a child?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
When did I say anything about abandoning a kid? I'm not sure why you quoted my post as it has nothing to do with what you wrote.
You were talking about leaving a kid at a park. No matter what the intent, someone could interpret it as abandonment and call the police.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:09 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Yes, it is great. But it's not easy. I have spent an extraordinary amount of time and energy striving to be a "good parent" so that my children will flourish.

Can you give some examples of when a spanking would be the best way to deal with a child?
Any time when children start following their "I want to" urges, and it puts them in danger.
At the age when they don't understand the concept of danger, so no reasoning can help - that's one example that comes to mind.
Another one - when children knowingly push the boundaries in spite of multiple attempts to explain to them that they shouldn't do something.

Last edited by erasure; 05-23-2017 at 11:30 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 11:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You were talking about leaving a kid at a park. No matter what the intent, someone could interpret it as abandonment and call the police.
Please stop making things up. I never once said anything about leaving a child alone at a park.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I recall being spanked once as a child. I'm not sure what I did, but I'm fairly certain I never did it again.

In dealing with my own daughter, I spanked her twice. She clearly remembers and we had a conversation about it recently.

Her: "It hurt."
Me: "It was supposed to. Yes, I meant it to hurt but I was not going to injure you. There's a difference. I didn't do it in anger."
Her: "Why did you spank me?"
Me: "Because you didn't listen the first five times I told you to not do something. I wanted to have your full attention and a few swats (or five - never just one) on the butt made sure I did. You learned quickly after that."

Spanking should be used *very* sparingly, and never as a result of a parent losing their temper or getting too frustrated to deal with a situation. And the kid should be aware that it's in Daddy's or Mommy's arsenal and will come out if needed. Once they reach the age where reason works, there's no need to get physical. The law only needs to get involved if it crosses the line between discipline and assault. Other than that, the govt should not have any say in how children are raised.
I agree with everything you write here, the problem however often arises in families that are overworked and over-stressed. When there is no money to pay the bills/for other necessities, the pressure is building and children might become the by-product of this pressure. With other words, that's when the line is often crossed between the needed restraint/punishment and overreaction of parents, turning into unnecessary spanking. ( I observed that too on numerous occasions.)
And from that point of view I can see why in America this kind of spanking would happen more often than in Europe.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Please stop making things up. I never once said anything about leaving a child alone at a park.
All right, I keep on hearing about some "natural consequences" here.
So what "natural consequences" for a three-year old might be?
What exactly are we talking about here?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Any time when children start following their "I want to" urges, and it puts them in danger.
At the age when they don't understand the concept of danger, so no reasoning can help - that's one example that comes to mind.
Another one - when children knowingly push the boundaries in spite of multiple attempts to explain to them that they shouldn't do something.
A spanking would be the very best way to deal with these situations?

Old 05-24-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
A spanking would be the very best way to deal with these situations?
A short answer is "yes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting