Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:59 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times

Advertisements

Assaulting your own child is a punishable offence in Austria and might very well land you in prison if you get caught. Personally, I consider parents that assault their kids unfit for raising one.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Good parents should spank their children, just like men should beat their wife, his co-workers, some random dude on the parking lot and his grandparents.

I find it shocking that even today some think that corporal punishment is an acceptable way of "bringing up" their children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Allow"? Is spanking illegal in Scandinavia? Could a parent get arrested for spanking their child?
Of course it is. Has been illegal since 1984.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM

14,320 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Assaulting your own child is a punishable offence in Austria and might very well land you in prison if you get caught. Personally, I consider parents that assault their kids unfit for raising one.
How is "assault" defined? If a parent gives a child one swat on his diapered bottom with a flat hand, is that "assault"?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
How is "assault" defined? If a parent gives a child one swat on his diapered bottom with a flat hand, is that "assault"?
But why even bother, you know? I detest spanking and find it to be lazy parenting, but if one believes it is a proper way to teach tiny children, what the heck is that^ kind of spanking going to teach a kid? That sounds half-hearted lazy parenting...

Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
But why even bother, you know? I detest spanking and find it to be lazy parenting, but if one believes it is a proper way to teach tiny children, what the heck is that^ kind of spanking going to teach a kid? That sounds half-hearted lazy parenting...
That he/she is not allowed to push the limits and to throw the tantrums ( just an example.)

I wonder sometimes - do people that post their stern opinions here on how to raise children ever had children of their own?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
All children ARE DIFFERENT.
Some plainly refuse any reasoning, some just want to push their boundaries, some are so quiet that you have to pill them off like chewing gum.
Some don't require any spanking, some do.
Reasoning and spanking are not the only alternative. Natural consequences are very often all that is needed along with age appropriate supervision. The reaching for the stove example that people often use is absurd. Don't let a child too young to understand burning near the darned stove! Natural consequences, distraction for the very young, understanding what their misbehavior is telling us about their motives all work together to provide an environment where kids WANT to behave. Yes, all kids are different. But they all share little human motivations.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Think of this. If you flat hand smacked an adult on the street, would that be considered assault? Um. Yup!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
There is not one study - not one - that says spanking has ANY benefit. In fact, they all say just the opposite.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:38 AM

14,320 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Think of this. If you flat hand smacked an adult on the street, would that be considered assault? Um. Yup!
Anything I do to another adult's body against his or her will is assault. But if I place my small child, who happens to be kicking and protesting, into a car seat and strap him in, that is not assault. The two situations are not parallel.

And yes, I have heard people say that you should never force a small child to do anything. If they resist going into the car seat, you just calmly wait with them, not showing any anger or impatience of course, until they decide of their own free will that they want to comply. Because, you know, if you are the right kind of parent then your children will always really WANT to behave.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:44 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That he/she is not allowed to push the limits and to throw the tantrums ( just an example.)

I wonder sometimes - do people that post their stern opinions here on how to raise children ever had children of their own?
Me? Yes, I have 4 children. Delightful, intelligent, curious, kind, well-behaved, compassionate children, for the most part. We do not spank them.

As for pushing the limits and throwing tantrums, I just can't imagine
Quote:
...one swat on his diapered bottom with a flat hand...
can be all that effective...

And it's certainly not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting