Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:16 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I'm positive that most people believe life is too short for this kind of "do-gooding" and aren't posting to avoid the sanctimonious perfect people here.

And "it doesn't bode well"...what? My children are very law abiding, well behaved, lovely children who would never break a rule or law knowingly. All this and when they were little, a few times something small got swiped by them and I didn't take it back. So....

I agree with you! It happens...you can't always go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Years ago, my sister went to the grocery store and somehow got some items that belonged to the person who left just before her. She drove all the way back to the store and returned the items, she said there was no way she could sleep at night if she didn't.

Ethics and honesty like that are rare any more.
Don, does it seem possible your mom did that as a lesson to you? All good parents model moral behavior for their children, and she was modeling a strong stance of not taking things that don't belong to her maybe?

Do you really think she "couldn't sleep" if a few grocery items were given to her in error by the store employee? Because. Um.

I just now remembered going to Walmart with my kids, and getting numerous items, but when I unpacked my cart there was a package of seam binding (about $2) beneath my purse that I hadn't paid for. My oldest son (about 8 years old) said oh no we didn't pay for this. So I walked back into the store with the kids and paid for it, to make an example of honest behavior for them.

I wouldn't have done it if they weren't with me - I'd have left it in the car and returned it next time I was there.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Don, does it seem possible your mom did that as a lesson to you? All good parents model moral behavior for their children, and she was modeling a strong stance of not taking things that don't belong to her maybe?

Do you really think she "couldn't sleep" if a few grocery items were given to her in error by the store employee? Because. Um.
He was talking about his sister.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Blueherons - I'm curious. You've really never gotten home with a load of groceries, and can't find an item, even though the item is on your receipt? That happens to me with some regularity if I don't bag my own items. If you go back to the store right then they usually have it at the register where you checked out if it doesn't need to be refrigerated.
I've never had that happen to me either. I always do a quick double check of the register area before walking away, just to make sure I haven't left anything behind.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I'm positive that most people believe life is too short for this kind of "do-gooding"
Life is too short not to be a good person.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:08 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
This once kind of happened to us. I had my youngest in her carseat placed inside the shopping cart when she was an infant and my older two were walking with me and helping me place items in.

My oldest threw a bunch of small boxes of powdered drink mix ($1 value each) into the cart and one landed in the baby carseat and then somehow slipped between the seat and infant insert. I didn't see it there until we got home and I got my daughter out of the carseat.

I called the store and explained. The girl I spoke to checked with her manager, then thanked me for my honesty but told me not to worry about it, which was really nice. I'm sure if it had been worth more than $1 they would have asked for return or payment.

It hasn't happened since- although I'm a lot more careful.

I think the nice thing to do is to check with the store in these cases, even just by phone call.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:26 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I remember my younger sister taking a necklace from an Ames store when she was 3.

My mom found it when she put my sister in the car. She marched my sister back in the store, and made her give it back to the manager and apologize for taking it without paying for it.

I recall taking a piece of candy from a store when I was around 4 and getting a spanking and made to take it back and apologize.

My parents didn't fool around when it came to stealing

My daughter put a small stuffed toy in her coat pocket at a store when she was about 3. I still don't know how she did it because she was in the cart but she must have waited until I turned my head for a second. At any rate, I found the toy when it fell out of her pocket as I put her in the car.

I took her and the toy back in and made her apologize for taking it. She didn't take anything from stores after that and still remembers the experience pretty vividly.

It was only a $2.99 toy but it's the principle of integrity that counted. I would have made her go back in and return it even if she had taken a 50 cent pack of gum.
Yes!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,368 times
It's two different things when a child is old enough to understand what they are doing (stealing) and when a child is so young that they put something in the cart either by accident or not knowing that it would be stealing if it was taken without paying!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Blueherons - I'm curious. You've really never gotten home with a load of groceries, and can't find an item, even though the item is on your receipt? That happens to me with some regularity if I don't bag my own items. If you go back to the store right then they usually have it at the register where you checked out if it doesn't need to be refrigerated.
I've never gotten home with groceries and cannot find an item.

Quote:
LOL I actually don't believe people who say they would drive all the way back to the store to return a pack of gum. I think the moral indignation is really funny...
I believe the word you are looking for is ethics. Most of us would return something that didn't belong to us or pay for it.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:41 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't see the distinction in this case.

It's pretty dangerous to start deciding on your own what constitutes a crime and what doesn't. Or deciding for other people what is or isn't valuable.
People do it all the time when it comes to criminally violating speed limit laws. 5 mph over = a pack of gum. 50 mph over the limit = the diamond necklace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting