Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 10:34 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,842 times

Advertisements

If it was an error on my part, then I'd be happy to pay for it.

If the store messed up, then it's their fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Hmmmm. A 2 year old picking up and keeping an item that has little value (don't know what this jewelry was worth) is not intentional. Unintentional actions aren't crimes - crimes involve intent. This would fall into "unintentional taking" on the part of the adult managing that child.

This is the same as if your husband is on an airplane in the middle seat and the woman in the aisle seat stands up to accommodate his getting out to use the bathroom, and they awkwardly rub fronts together for several moments before he is able to exit the aisle.

Unintentional action. That's the key here.
Hmmmm, it's not about the unintentional actions of the child, it's about the response of the adult who finds the item the child took. So if we play this game what's the appropriate response of the guy who gets rubbed, is it to mumble an awkward an apology or is it to leer at the woman and try to ask for her phone number, lol?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
What if you get home from an overseas family trip and find that your child grabbed a penny-whistle when you weren't looking? Are you going to book another pair of transatlantic flights and search for the street vendor so you can return one cent worth of merchandise, or are you a horrible thieving crook?
You call the company and you offer to pay by credit card, pretty sure most people would make that same call if they got home and found they had been overcharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
While I agree with your examples, that those are obvious acts of dishonesty, I think it's a little more involved than that. Every business "writes off" certain expenses. We don't know what the article was that the child took home. MaryleeII had some good points. I think if this child did same again, I'd respond more seriously than the first.
Every business that writes it off passes it on to the consumer. People who intentionally shoplift often use the very same reasoning to justify their taking things.
This isn't about the child at all, it's about the child's mother who is saying that it doesn't matter. One website says shoplifting (whether intentional or not) costs $35 million daily, so obviously those small losses do matter

Old 10-02-2017, 10:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I worry about toddlers who can't learn that things have to be paid for. I worry that they won't grow up well because there is something wrong with their ability to learn. Maybe they grow up to be parents who think it is adorable that their child is stealing?

Perhaps the concept of theft might be too much for a two year old, but by that age, my kid certainly understood that we had to pay for what we took. It is not a difficult concept for a two year old to learn, even of he learns it is a rule and not the moral reasoning behind it.

We had that lesson every time we went shopping: yes, you can have that banana but you can't eat now it because they have to weigh it before they know how much to charge us. You can eat it as soon a s we pay for it. Or, OK, you can eat this cookie now but it is your job to carry the wrapper and give it to the clerk so we can pay for it.

Or: what do you think? Should we buy this or not? If we aren't going to buy it, we put it back.

I also am a bit worried about a parent pushing a toddler around in the stroller, getting to the parking lot, removing the kid form the stroller and placing the child in a car seat, disassembling the stroller and placing it in the car and all the while not noticing that the child is carrying around a shop lifted necklace (not to mention, how many stores have necklaces down at toddler eye level). Either that is very extremely non-observant or else is it deliberately allowing the child to steal, thinking to get away with it.
OK, so you've acknowledged we're dealing with a toddler here, 2-3 years old at most. As many have said, these kids don't really understand about stealing. Someone upthread talked about telling her mom to write a check when mom said they couldn't afford something; one of my daughters told me to go to the ATM once when I said I didn't have any money! Kids just don't get it, until they're much older than you might think.

I don't think the bold is all that unusual. Strollers have little pockets in them, mom or whoever could have been distracted when folding stroller and not seen the necklace in a fold of said stroller. I do not find it unbelievable that a necklace at say a Walmart, Target, Kohl's, etc was displayed in reach of a toddler in a stroller.

If the necklace was of value, yes, I'd return it with child in tow. Maybe not right away, after all, I seriously doubt this was a valuable piece of jewelry, but certainly in the next day or so, even if I had to make a special trip. And I'd have the kid with me, and say something like "I found this when we got home and we did not pay for it. I'm returning it." The kid gets an object lesson.

BTW, I have rarely bought something and not found it in my bag(s). What I have found, when I looked at the receipt, is that the item in question did not get rung up. Why? Who knows? Things happen.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
If it was an error on my part, then I'd be happy to pay for it.

If the store messed up, then it's their fault.
I don't think it works that way. You are obligated to pay for what you receive from the store, even if they make an error.

(And this also goes for if you know for a fact an item has rung up at much less $$ than is the real price for that item).

You don't just sit quietly and let a minimum wage worker give away the shop to you.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
My first inclination would be to return it because the item wasn't paid for.

However, a situation did happen last year. Somehow a pair of hair clips ended up in our bag when we got home. Not sure if a kid grabbed it and it wasn't rung up or it was inadvertently grabbed by the clerk while putting stuff into the bag. In either event, I checked the receipt and sure enough, we hadn't paid for it. It was valued at 2.00. the problem was that returning the item to the outlet store was a pain in the rear and we just go so caught up with our weekend lives that to this day, the hair clip is still sitting in the bag waiting to be returned. So, I dunno...neither of my kids used the item, yet it is still in our house. Oh well, the intention was good.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My first inclination would be to return it because the item wasn't paid for.

However, a situation did happen last year. Somehow a pair of hair clips ended up in our bag when we got home. Not sure if a kid grabbed it and it wasn't rung up or it was inadvertently grabbed by the clerk while putting stuff into the bag. In either event, I checked the receipt and sure enough, we hadn't paid for it. It was valued at 2.00. the problem was that returning the item to the outlet store was a pain in the rear and we just go so caught up with our weekend lives that to this day, the hair clip is still sitting in the bag waiting to be returned. So, I dunno...neither of my kids used the item, yet it is still in our house. Oh well, the intention was good.
You need to donate that thing to Goodwill. It's bugging you - every time you see that sack you think ugh I should return that.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't see the distinction in this case.

Would the store normally let you walk out the door without paying for a pack of gum?
No.
So their intention is to sell it for money.

It's pretty dangerous to start deciding on your own what constitutes a crime and what doesn't. Or deciding for other people what is or isn't valuable.
I know what you are saying, but this is a bit dogmatic. And you probably violate this maxim yourself every time you drive. Do you rigidly adhere to the speed limit and never go even 2 mph above it? If not, then you do in fact "decide for yourself what is a crime and what isn't".

To give an extreme example, if the store is 160 miles away, both parents work full-time, and it was a $3.00 item, I would scarcely fault parents for not returning the item.

But it does mean that the parents need to pay attention more closely the next time, and explicitly forbid the child from taking anything without asking.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My mom was telling me a story what my 2yr. old niece had done while out shopping with her mom and Grandparents. They thought it was funny. I didn't and told my mom if my sister-in-law don't send the money to cover the cost of the necklace, it's stealing and not setting a good example for the kid. My mom acted like it was no big deal. I was mad.
Not your business. I agree with you that it was wrong, but you don't get to police others' behavior.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:23 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
LOL I actually don't believe people who say they would drive all the way back to the store to return a pack of gum. I think the moral indignation is really funny...

So do I.

I remember one time, AFTER I got all the groceries into the car, and AFTER I got the toddler in his car seat, I saw where he'd been sitting on a brand new bungee cord. Somehow he'd grabbed it, and somehow ended up sitting on it.

We ended up acquiring a brand new bungee cord. WHOO HOO! YIPPEE! WHAT A SCORE! No. I didn't take the toddler back out of the car seat, put him BACK in the grocery cart, and go BACK into the grocery store to give it back. I just didn't have it in me.

Shopping with babies is hard enough. Someone could've stuck a fork in me. I was done.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,642,353 times
I probably would not turn around and take the item back to the store if I had already reached my house, but I would return it the next time I was there. I would just put it back on the shelf. If the item was worth more than a pack of gum, I would let manager know what had happened when I returned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting