Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 08:06 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't know what she said but that isn't the principle of the matter. The point was to teach me that it's NEVER ok to take something that isn't yours. If it was an accident you make it right. I don't go to your house and pocket things just because they are inexpensive.
The grape-tasting thing is odd to me. While I don't do it, I see people doing it all the time. There's almost always a produce employee in the section at the grocery store and they never say a word to the tasters. I don't think it's wrong to taste a grape to see if you like that variety before you buy it. In fact, if you ask the produce people which type of grape is sweeter, they'll tell you to taste them. I guess I am assigning morality a numerical value. We all do that. Is it just as wrong to stomp on a cockroach as it would be to stomp on a 4-lb Yorkie?

Of course, I also used to let my kids eat from a box of crackers or whatever in the store and then pay at the end when I checked out. No one ever said anything to me about it. I suppose it's conceivable that the store could catch on fire and then we'd leave having consumed 9 crackers that we didn't pay for... luckily, it never happened!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,912,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Has it? I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted because their baby swiped a pack of gum. I'm not sure that the justice system gets involved in tiny matters like this.

A baby and a pack of gum is not the issue being addressed. The OP stated that other people cannot decide for him what is or is not "moral." That view is incorrect as society has made the collective decision on many fronts regarding what behavior is allowed.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Mine too. So what? That's why they come with parents. And hopefully parents come with morals.

So what?

Geez...there was no lesson to teach. He was a baby who didn't know what he was doing. He was a walking baby...but still, a baby.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:37 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I think some markets are fine with a person tasting a grape to see if they like that variety - for some of the new candy flavored grapes, I've even seen a bowl set up and labeled as a tester. And of course, they will give you a taste of something at the deli if you want to try it before you order it, or have samples out like Costco (but they always have one of those crunchy coated sushi rolls that I don't like instead of something good! lol!)

On the other hand, I remember when grocery stores used to have loose, individually wrapped candies - and they ended up putting out a locked box with a slot in the top with a sign saying it was a nickel for an individual piece of candy. Obviously some people felt that they were entitled to unlimited "tastes" every time they came in.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
The grape-tasting thing is odd to me. While I don't do it, I see people doing it all the time. There's almost always a produce employee in the section at the grocery store and they never say a word to the tasters. I don't think it's wrong to taste a grape to see if you like that variety before you buy it. In fact, if you ask the produce people which type of grape is sweeter, they'll tell you to taste them. I guess I am assigning morality a numerical value. We all do that. Is it just as wrong to stomp on a cockroach as it would be to stomp on a 4-lb Yorkie?
!
I know the grape thing is kind of weird. My mom is old school and Mrs moral herself. I doubt she even kill an insect if she could avoid it.. I'm just saying, as a kid it taught me something valuable. Even though the grape thing might be dumb, I figured at the time, if tasting 1 grape without asking, than surly taking anything other than a grape would be an ever bigger no no.
When it comes to taking store merchandise/money that is no different than if I would reach in your bag and steal a dollar. If it is by accident, try to make it right. It's that simple.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think some markets are fine with a person tasting a grape to see if they like that variety - for some of the new candy flavored grapes, I've even seen a bowl set up and labeled as a tester. And of course, they will give you a taste of something at the deli if you want to try it before you order it, or have samples out like Costco (but they always have one of those crunchy coated sushi rolls that I don't like instead of something good! lol!)

On the other hand, I remember when grocery stores used to have loose, individually wrapped candies - and they ended up putting out a locked box with a slot in the top with a sign saying it was a nickel for an individual piece of candy. Obviously some people felt that they were entitled to unlimited "tastes" every time they came in.
I think grapes are considered "fair game" to taste - you can look into the bags of grapes and usually see where several have been "tasted". But don't try that with a pomegranate. ;D

I recently learned that you can make your own bag of grapes by taking just a portion of one of the pre-bagged (but not sealed) grapes that are offered. But no. You can get a plastic produce bag and pull a portion of the grapes in the prepacked sack out and buy them.

Who knew. ;D

Old 10-04-2017, 08:45 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Right, because people don't know their limits. I see kids sometimes in the store and the parents gave them an apple to eat, or a banana. Ok, so these things are sold by weight. How are you suppose to determine the price now?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
[/b]

Right, because people don't know their limits. I see kids sometimes in the store and the parents gave them an apple to eat, or a banana. Ok, so these things are sold by weight. How are you suppose to determine the price now?
Just put another banana on the scale.

I often eat while I'm in the grocery store. Prepared sandwiches from the deli aisle, danish wedding cookies . . . yum.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:21 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
So what?

Geez...there was no lesson to teach. He was a baby who didn't know what he was doing. He was a walking baby...but still, a baby.
Two year old vary wildly in developmental ability. Even so most people are already teaching their toddler "we don't take things that don't belong to us". Whether it is giving back toys that take from other kids, or not grabbing off of moms plate, or giving back the necklace they stole from a store, those are all lessons that most 2 yos can grasp. Do you really think a 2yo shouldnt be taught the difference between "mine" and "not mine"?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:

Of course, I also used to let my kids eat from a box of crackers or whatever in the store and then pay at the end when I checked out. No one ever said anything to me about it. I suppose it's conceivable that the store could catch on fire and then we'd leave having consumed 9 crackers that we didn't pay for... luckily, it never happened!

You really don't see the difference between stealing something and opening a box of crackers, eating some and then paying for the entire box?

And yes, parents who teach their kids to eat things sold by weight before buying them are doing the same thing. As for whether or not the stores yell at you, that isn't really the point.

And yes, stomping an animal just to stomp it is the same thing, regardless of the animal. Would you let your kid stomp the hissing cockroaches on display at the zoo? Probably not. The reason some people stomp the ones at home, is because we know they spread disease. Hopefully we are not teaching kids that killing things just to kill them is not good, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting