Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 11:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Let's put it this way, if I get a ticket I always pay. By driving too fast I don't steal money out of the city pocket. I get it, breaking the law by speeding, and you trying to justify that with stealing...since that is also breaking the law...

Murder :breaking law, very bad. You took a life from an innocent person. Always turn yourself in.

Stealing: breaking law, you stole something didn't belong to you. No good. If it was unintentionally, do the right thing so you sleep good at night knowing you gave back what didn't belong to you.

Driving 50 in a 40 zone, : breaking law. Unless you hit somebody, no harm done to anybody...except your wallet...maybe.
Oh so it's okay to break the law long as it's not "hurting" anyone? I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh so it's okay to break the law long as it's not "hurting" anyone? I see.
For me, the law has no moral or ethical weight. Rosa Parks was breaking the law. Mahatma Gandhi was breaking the law. The fact that stealing is wrong AND illegal is the case, but being illegal is not what makes it wrong.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Speeding is such a bad choice for an example.
speedometers are not precise
unless you constantly watch your speedometer (dangerous) you're not likely to realize the moment you've gone over
in traffic speeding is allowed and even encouraged, to go with the flow of traffic and not impede it

Unless you mean people who purposely speed when there is no need to, just because they can, there really isn't a comparison. I believe you would probably find that people who wouldn't take a pack of gum intentionally are the same people who don't needlessly speed intentionally.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
2 year old kids understand a LOT more than they are given credit for.

I would take the child back to the store and have the child hand the item to the cashier. I would apologize for the child if the child is not vocal enough. I have done this with my grandson. Funny, the younger granddaughter never did steal. Wonder if she learned from the lesson that we taught her brother... He was 4 she was 2. Food for thought.

Children are observers of life. You ever notice a child just watching things? They start to do this at a VERY early age. They may not speak well or what have you but they are observing all.

It's not about my "high and mighty" moral compass. It is about life lessons. Even at that young of an age, they do learn them. They may not 'remember' it but it does sink into their knowledge base. Just as a child figures out how to get the attention/things that they want at a very early age.

Just my 2cents

Old 10-04-2017, 12:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
unless you constantly watch your speedometer (dangerous) you're not likely to realize the moment you've gone over
in traffic speeding is allowed and even encouraged, to go with the flow of traffic and not impede it

Unless you mean people who purposely speed when there is no need to, just because they can, there really isn't a comparison. I believe you would probably find that people who wouldn't take a pack of gum intentionally are the same people who don't needlessly speed intentionally.
When there is no other argument to justify stealing or accidentally stealing, you take what you have I guess. lol

Old 10-04-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Oh ok so accidentally speeding is cool then? But keeping an item your kid accidentally took or intending to bring it back then forgetting isn't? Not even a little? Completely different? What about running a red light? Much riskier than speeding even a little bit.

You people are hilarious. Get over yourselves.

I've said here a couple times, I probably personally would bring back something even really minor and cheap. That's how I am as a person. But I honestly don't seee it as a big deal if someone weren't to once or twice, for whatever reason. There are bigger things to worry about. Like I've already said, I'm just less judgmental and I won't pretend I'm some perfect person.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I know you already think I was a bad parent, but maybe you can give me a smattering of knowing what I'm talking about, when I say he was too young to know what he was doing at the time. Or maybe not.

Like I said, he was walking at 8 1/2 months old, and so technically, a toddler. I don't remember exactly how old he was when this happened, but he wasn't 2 yet, because his brother wasn't born yet.

He was too little to know what he did, so there was no lesson to teach.
The OP is about a 2 yo.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When there is no other argument to justify stealing or accidentally stealing, you take what you have I guess. lol
I've said I wouldn't and would bring it back. Pay attention. I'm just a less judgy person of others who are being totally honest than you are.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I've said I wouldn't and would bring it back. Pay attention. I'm just a less judgy person of others who are being totally honest than you are.
You keep saying you are not "judgy" but you do the same thing.

Personally, I have lots of flaws. But one thing I don't do is take things that aren't mine. Or if my child take something, I always always always bring it back regardless of cost.
I just don't think it's right, ever.
If this make me and others hilarious in your eyes than I'm proud to be so.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 10-04-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 01:11 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The OP is about a 2 yo.

Good God in heaven...

Why be purposely obtuse? What is to gain from it? The conversation has taken some dips and some turns, and the original question was "What would you do if your toddler put something in the stroller while shopping and didn't realize it until getting home."

My kid WAS a toddler at the time. I recounted a similar experience. I've said it more than once that my kid was too young for a teachable moment, but others here disagree with me. Take it up with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting