Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 12:20 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
It was the toddler that was stealing a necklace. Next time the parents should watch the kid better.

More like $500 in California! But when you got away with speeding did you turn yourself in to the police?
Let's put it this way, if I get a ticket I always pay. By driving too fast I don't steal money out of the city pocket. I get it, breaking the law by speeding, and you trying to justify that with stealing...since that is also breaking the law...

Murder :breaking law, very bad. You took a life from an innocent person. Always turn yourself in.

Stealing: breaking law, you stole something didn't belong to you. No good. If it was unintentionally, do the right thing so you sleep good at night knowing you gave back what didn't belong to you.

Driving 50 in a 40 zone, : breaking law. Unless you hit somebody, no harm done to anybody...except your wallet...maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 12:29 AM

When I was 3, I ate a grape in the store without paying. My mom didn't see it in time. Well, she told the cashier what happened. It's a good practice to teach your kids early. And I really don't understand how anybody can feel different.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverEden View Post
I agree with you! It happens...you can't always go back.
You can ALWAYS make it right. You call and put it on a credit card, you send a check, you square it next time you are at the store. What an honest person does not do is justify inaction.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:42 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think where you have it wrong is you don't get to choose what is moral and what isn't, or what values other people should have. So to you not returning a pack of gum is immoral, even if taken on accident and taking it back would be a huge pain. But if I shadowed your life I would be willing to bet that you do many things that I would consider immoral. But unlike you, I bet I would find a spot of grace for you and not judge so harshly.

I'm pretty done with this conversation. I have said my peace, gotten my rep points for being honest and am walking out of this Sunday school classroom.
Our justice system has decided stealing is wrong and made it illegal, so, yes, others have made the decision for you. You don't get a choice.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When I was 3, I ate a grape in the store without paying. My mom didn't see it in time. Well, she told the cashier what happened. It's a good practice to teach your kids early. And I really don't understand how anybody can feel different.
What did the cashier say? One grape wouldn't even add a penny to your total, I wouldn't think. Did she call over the manager to add a cent to your bill? Or did she say, "oh, don't worry about it," thus giving you the impression that it's fine to eat a grape?

Old 10-04-2017, 05:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Our justice system has decided stealing is wrong and made it illegal, so, yes, others have made the decision for you. You don't get a choice.
Has it? I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted because their baby swiped a pack of gum. I'm not sure that the justice system gets involved in tiny matters like this.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:03 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Unsurprisingly, you have a reaction like this. I am drawing parallels to other technically illegal things people do, quite frequently really, to point out the hypocrisy of some posters here. That's completely relevant when some have displayed the attitudes they have.
Yes, speeding IS illegal, but it is not the topic here. You keep trying to justify keeping the pack of gum, or necklace, or whatever a toddler might take, when it would be so simple to pay for it next time you're in the store. Why not just do the most moral thing? And yes, paying for the item is more moral than intentionally not paying for it.

You want to keep talking about speeding. Ok. If I notice that I am inadvertently speeding, I immediately slow down. I don't try to justify why I was speeding by saying, "Well some people steal packs of gum." I just try to correct my speed.

On what planet is keeping an item your child took the best option??? What would compel someone to do that? Laziness? A secret joy in getting something for free? Cheapness? Seriously, WHY are you advocating keeping it when it is so easy to just pay for it?

Old 10-04-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
What did the cashier say? One grape wouldn't even add a penny to your total, I wouldn't think. Did she call over the manager to add a cent to your bill? Or did she say, "oh, don't worry about it," thus giving you the impression that it's fine to eat a grape?
I don't know what she said but that isn't the principle of the matter. The point was to teach me that it's NEVER ok to take something that isn't yours. If it was an accident you make it right. I don't go to your house and pocket things just because they are inexpensive.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
It was the toddler that was stealing a necklace. Next time the parents should watch the kid better.

More like $500 in California! But when you got away with speeding did you turn yourself in to the police?
Stealing and speeding are not equivalent.

The equivalent of turning yourself in for speeding would be to turn your child in for shoplifting. No one is suggesting that parents do that. What they are suggesting is that it is moral, to return the item or pay for it, potentially with the toddler depending on their maturity level.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:34 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The problem with this argument is that you are assigning morality a numerical value. That is a mistake as it means there is a sliding scale of what is right and what is wrong. Given that children, especially toddlers, don't understand money, that makes it more likely you are sending the message that it is ok to take things that don't belong to you sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting