Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:30 PM

103 posts, read 76,628 times

Advertisements

This is so weird. Why is this even a question?

You return to the store with the item, and either pay for it, or return it. Explain what happened, which I'm sure will be understood. And explain to the child, who is old enough to understand,in simplified terms, how money and purchase work. Take the child along. Not as punishment, but for an object lesson.

I don't care if it's a pack of gum, or a tiara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 03:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
To those who don't feel it is important to return the item, what if instead of a necklace from a store your toddler came back from a play date with a necklace of whatever minimal value from the home of the playmate? Would you make an effort to return that item even if it only cost a few dollars?

Old 10-04-2017, 05:05 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I'd return a necklace to the store. By the time I commented, the conversation had switched to a pack of gum. I said I would not go out of my way to return something so small and inexpensive if the child was too young to understand. If I remembered the next time I went, maybe. .

I assume I'd see my friend again, so I'd call and let them know if my toddler took something. Then I'd bring it back next time. If it was a special item, I'd drive back. If the kid stole a granola bar out of the pantry, which is more along the lines of a pack of gum, I'd mention it to my friend the next time I talked to her but I would not make a special effort to call immediately and I probably would not save it to return it.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
If you have a sense of morals, bring it back to the store and give it back to them.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:48 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh ok so accidentally speeding is cool then? But keeping an item your kid accidentally took or intending to bring it back then forgetting isn't? Not even a little? Completely different? What about running a red light? Much riskier than speeding even a little bit.

You people are hilarious. Get over yourselves.
So why all the stretching to make a point? Running a red light is never accidental, why even bring it up? Keeping an item intentionally, not cool. Speeding intentionally, not cool. Accidentally going a little over the speed, forgetting to bring the item back if you intended to, yeah, there is leeway there. BUT the question was what would you do as a parent if this happened to you, and several posters said they simply would not bother because it's not a big deal, not important enough to them. That is not the same as having the intentions to do the right thing and then forgetting. There is a difference between 'I forgot' and 'I don't care'
Yeah, 'you people' are hilarious with your justifications.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,535 times
I would return to the store and pay for it. There is no such thing as "just a little stealing". Laughing about it or excusing it does set a wrong example. The baby doesn't realize. The adult does. So be the adult.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:38 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
I actually stole a glass of beer from a group of 10 racist skinheads in a bar, in Sweden when I was 16...I just remember that now!!

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 10-05-2017 at 12:58 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
To those who don't feel it is important to return the item, what if instead of a necklace from a store your toddler came back from a play date with a necklace of whatever minimal value from the home of the playmate? Would you make an effort to return that item even if it only cost a few dollars?
Yes! I'd feel weird not to. It's not a punishment thing, we're talking toddlers. But yes, I'd return the property to it's rightful owner, we'd hopefully have a laugh over it and that would be that.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'd return a necklace to the store. By the time I commented, the conversation had switched to a pack of gum. I said I would not go out of my way to return something so small and inexpensive if the child was too young to understand. If I remembered the next time I went, maybe. .

I assume I'd see my friend again, so I'd call and let them know if my toddler took something. Then I'd bring it back next time. If it was a special item, I'd drive back. If the kid stole a granola bar out of the pantry, which is more along the lines of a pack of gum, I'd mention it to my friend the next time I talked to her but I would not make a special effort to call immediately and I probably would not save it to return it.
Why would you mention it to your friend but not pay for or bring it back to the store?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes! I'd feel weird not to. It's not a punishment thing, we're talking toddlers. But yes, I'd return the property to it's rightful owner, we'd hopefully have a laugh over it and that would be that.
But would you do the same if the item was taken from a store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting