Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times

Advertisements

Theft of a cheap item is still theft. Do you need to go back immediately and return rhe item? No but you should call the manager and tell Him/Her what happened and pay that amount of money to the store on your next visit.. Remember what goes round comes round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am shining off crowns of perfect moral leadership. Line up. But bring the gum your kid tossed into the bag without paying.
You know something? Your snark is tiresome. If you can be at peace with a looser definition of stealing, go for it. But don't denigrate those of us who know the difference between right and wrong starts with the simple things, like a pack of gum.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You know something? Your snark is tiresome. If you can be at peace with a looser definition of stealing, go for it. But don't denigrate those of us who know the difference between right and wrong starts with the simple things, like a pack of gum.
Do you see that there would be a difference in accidental taking, and purposeful taking? A child who is old enough to know better (age 4+) and who will benefit from the lesson should be taken back to the store.

Accidental taking - or taking by a child too young to know any better (2 and below) maybe could be handled differently.

Sometimes, this is a teachable moment, and sometimes it's oops the gum slipped down into the bottom of the cart and I didn't see it at check out.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you see that there would be a difference in accidental taking, and purposeful taking? A child who is old enough to know better (age 4+) and who will benefit from the lesson should be taken back to the store.

Accidental taking - or taking by a child too young to know any better (2 and below) maybe could be handled differently.

Sometimes, this is a teachable moment, and sometimes it's oops the gum slipped down into the bottom of the cart and I didn't see it at check out.
Do you see that whether the taking is accidental or not what is in question is the response of the parents? If it's a teachable moment or not has nothing to do with whether or not the parent reimburses the store for mdse taken. Are we to only do the right thing when other people (our children) are witnesses?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
How about the parent actually watches the kid to make sure they're not taking things off the shelf? This time it might have been a box of candy, maybe next time a box of rat poison.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Nobody seems to care about the parent themselves and whether or not THEY are doing the right thing. Is it only the right thing for US to do if someone is watching?

Old 10-03-2017, 05:53 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,198 times
One time, may have happened before, my son was about 4 and he said, as we were about to get back into the car, after a dinner out: ........"hey, mommy, daddy.....you forgot your money." He had a few bills in his little fist. He was so proud, thought he was helping.

The TIP, no less. We took it back in; ahh, kids. At least we paid attention after that. Or tried. Made us feel like we were training our kids to take the tip; was pretty embarrassing.

Last edited by mollygee; 10-03-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 06:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Hard not to be snarky when people are essentially accusing you of being an immoral thief. What about going 5 mph over the speed limit. I am sure if you take back a pack of gum then you never go over the speed limit, or not use your turn signal, etc.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
IDK, I've always taught my kids that the only thing worse than doing the wrong thing, is not trying to make it right.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:53 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Hard not to be snarky when people are essentially accusing you of being an immoral thief. What about going 5 mph over the speed limit. I am sure if you take back a pack of gum then you never go over the speed limit, or not use your turn signal, etc.
What you do or don’t do when only you know is what determines your character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting