Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 01:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
So do I.

I remember one time, AFTER I got all the groceries into the car, and AFTER I got the toddler in his car seat, I saw where he'd been sitting on a brand new bungee cord. Somehow he'd grabbed it, and somehow ended up sitting on it.

We ended up acquiring a brand new bungee cord. WHOO HOO! YIPPEE! WHAT A SCORE! No. I didn't take the toddler back out of the car seat, put him BACK in the grocery cart, and go BACK into the grocery store to give it back. I just didn't have it in me.

Shopping with babies is hard enough. Someone could've stuck a fork in me. I was done.
Done as in never ever going to that store again? Not like you could have left that item in the car and then brought it in the next time you were going shopping. Nope, you HAD to just keep it even if you hadn't meant to buy it and didn't pay for it.

And it doesn't matter that it was an inexpensive item, it still wasn't yours. You didn't "acquire" it, you stole it because even if it made it out of the store accidentally, you still made the choice to keep it.

It's not like it was a food item that would have been more involved to return and couldn't just be left in the car until the next time you went back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:05 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
Odds are you are going to notice by the time you get to your car right? So bring it back. If for some reason you honestly were able to take your kid out of the stroller and put them into a car seat, load the stroller into the car and not notice the stolen item then I wouldn't make a special trip to go back and return it. At that point it's the fault of the store's loss prevention if it was anything of real value for not catching it. Of course I have a 2 year old and it's not a problem because I actually pay attention to every move she makes especially when we're in a busy public place like a store. She definitely grabs things but I watch everything she does and put things back

Old 10-02-2017, 03:11 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Done as in never ever going to that store again? Not like you could have left that item in the car and then brought it in the next time you were going shopping. Nope, you HAD to just keep it even if you hadn't meant to buy it and didn't pay for it.

And it doesn't matter that it was an inexpensive item, it still wasn't yours. You didn't "acquire" it, you stole it because even if it made it out of the store accidentally, you still made the choice to keep it.

It's not like it was a food item that would have been more involved to return and couldn't just be left in the car until the next time you went back.

Yep chica. I kept it. It wasn't a high priority for me, and stayed in the trunk of my car for ages. So yeah, I was the thief. Not much choice about it really....just didn't much care.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Odds are you are going to notice by the time you get to your car right? So bring it back. If for some reason you honestly were able to take your kid out of the stroller and put them into a car seat, load the stroller into the car and not notice the stolen item then I wouldn't make a special trip to go back and return it. At that point it's the fault of the store's loss prevention if it was anything of real value for not catching it. Of course I have a 2 year old and it's not a problem because I actually pay attention to every move she makes especially when we're in a busy public place like a store. She definitely grabs things but I watch everything she does and put things back
You know, I was just at Hobby Lobby (gasp!) today and I noticed a lot of strings of beads at stroller level. I could see a kid taking one, then putting it down and ending up sitting on it, see it getting folded into the stroller. I do not find that part of the scenario far-fetched.

Don't break your neck falling off your high horse.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post

My child wasn't in a stroller. He was in the grocery cart, sitting and facing me. And yeah, I honestly didn't see the bungee cord until I had loaded the groceries into the car, and then put my son in his car seat. And then, lo and behold, there was a bungee cord.

Oh...and thanks for the implication that I'm a bad mother who didn't watch her kids. LOL You go girl. LOL

Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,736 times
To the OP, I'd driven back and return it if it was possible. But I have gone back and paid for items checkers have missed before, even when it is small. I'm a Christian and can't abide stealing from the owner of the business if I learn of it. I have to do the right thing or it would eat at me

Old 10-02-2017, 03:52 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You folks who wouldn't return the item, you have missed a teachable moment. This was a good opportunity to start to teach the child to not take things that don't belong to him.

Oops, where did this come from? You can't take things from the store without paying for them. We have to take it back.

Then you have the chiild hand back the item at the service desk and apologize. A 2 year old is old enough to do this. It can be done pleasantly. It's not punishment for the child, it is teaching the child something.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:56 PM

My son was walking at 8 1/2 months. Hell, he was walking before he was verbal practically.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
My son was walking at 8 1/2 months. Hell, he was walking before he was verbal practically.
Mine too. So what? That's why they come with parents. And hopefully parents come with morals.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I know what you are saying, but this is a bit dogmatic. And you probably violate this maxim yourself every time you drive. Do you rigidly adhere to the speed limit and never go even 2 mph above it? If not, then you do in fact "decide for yourself what is a crime and what isn't".

To give an extreme example, if the store is 160 miles away, both parents work full-time, and it was a $3.00 item, I would scarcely fault parents for not returning the item.

But it does mean that the parents need to pay attention more closely the next time, and explicitly forbid the child from taking anything without asking.
That's an excuse.

Call the store, pay with a credit card.

Those who choose not to pay for stolen items are making a choice. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting