Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
So much pearl-clutching over something inconsequential that most have never even dealt with. And for those who have, I bet a very small percentage actually jumped right back in the car to speed back to Walmart to return the one-dollar item.

This reminds me so much of people who are anti-ACA... until they realize that they will lose their own health coverage, whoops! Or the pro-life congressman who told his mistress to get an abortion. Or a woman I knew who was very contemptuous of people on welfare but had no problem accepting WIC because "well, my family is going through a tough time." Everyone has great intentions until they're actually in a situation where it counts, and when the toddler steals a 99-cent pack of Skittles and you get home and figure it out and it's past lunchtime and both kids are crying and the plumber is supposed to arrive in an hour... trust me, you're not hightailing it back to the store to bring back a soggy package of candy.
Well, at least you get it. I know you're not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I don't think anyone said that a person had to get in the car and take an item back immediately. But sure, why not create a strawman argument that is so easily attacked.

As for the whole moral/immoral thing, that was started by someone who stated they were a very moral person as part of their justification for not returning an item. Once it was out there, then yes, people disagreed with that statement.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times
Go back and pay for it. Every time. Then its up to the store if you get it for free or not.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Has ANYONE on this thread suggested that one is ethically or morally obligated to hustle like the store is about to collapse in financial ruin at any second?

Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think anyone said that a person had to get in the car and take an item back immediately. But sure, why not create a strawman argument that is so easily attacked.
Unless it was an expensive item, that they would check security tapes, I would not be speeding off back to the store. And you're right, I don't thing anyone else has suggested that anyone needs to do that. I mostly go to the same stores every week, so I would just return it next time I went. If its a store I never go to, I would just return it next time I was in the area.

If I need to return something, it goes on the front doorknob. That way it doesn't get misplaced or forgotten about. I am forced to think about the item each time I leave the house, amd think about if I will be going to that store or in the area.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:22 PM

581 posts, read 456,448 times
If we're talking something piddly like a pack of gum, then I'd just shrug it off and remind myself to check the stroller before I leave the store next time. If it was something pricier, I'd return it and pay for it the next time I was at the store. But I wouldn't waste gas and time running right back for something that was a dollar or two.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:25 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Over 200 posts?

Simple: return the item to the store, and apologize.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'd do nothing because it's the best way to avoid drama like this thread.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, I'm really just dismayed at people's reactions here.

Yet again, I don't care what YOU or anyone else would do, it's not my business... perhaps you and everyone else who's being so judgmental should have the same attitude, and no one should be calling anyone immoral or criminals.

I have said multiple times that I would probably bring any item back, or at least intend to. Unlike others, I have empathy and could understand the situations of others who may not bring certain items back. I can see both sides. I don't see it so black and white. My morals include "don't steal" but that doesn't mean I instantly think someone who would just keep a pack of gum or something is an immoral criminal.

Also... name calling started a while back and it sure as hell wasn't me. I'm not sorry for frankly responding to any sanctimonious anonymous internet poster willing to call anyone names in the first place for admitting they may just keep a cheap item their kid took, unbeknownst to them. People are horrible.
See defensive. No one said you are immoral or a criminal they said the actions of stealing are or allowing your child to steal. I never said "you, jerseysomething are a criminal". What I said is that keeping something you didn't pay for or allowing your child to do so is immoral. But because those are your choices you want to pretend someone said you are immoral.

And for the record it doesn't matter what you care to hear the OP asked people what they would do.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

As for the whole moral/immoral thing, that was started by someone who stated they were a very moral person as part of their justification for not returning an item. Once it was out there, then yes, people disagreed with that statement.
Small children have very small attention spans, so if a parent wants to set a good example, waiting a week won't have the same effect. What two year old is going to remember that they took a push pop a week ago? I guess that's why I assumed all of these diligent parents would go back right away, to show their child immediately that stealing is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting