Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

I would never let my parents nor my in-laws pay for their own tickets, unless I absolutely did not have the means to do so.

Also, the nanny thing is BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would never let my parents nor my in-laws pay for their own tickets, unless I absolutely did not have the means to do so.

Also, the nanny thing is BS.
Why not? Unless they are low income, why shouldn't they pay for their own tickets?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:17 PM

150 posts, read 143,956 times
I am embarrassed to read how cheap the OP is. An MS in EE with a good job and cannot fork out $3K for the in-laws to visit - mind you, they will be helping out at home with the child care! SMH

Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,091 times
OP's wife is in a more dire strait than most military moms do.

She is an immigrant. And it looks like she doesn't have any family support other than OP's mom. If OP does not manage the situation well, she may develop Postpartum Depression.

OP said that his colleague or friend faces the same scenario and can handle it well. But most likely the wife of his friend and colleague has family network support but his wife doesn't.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:21 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googol View Post
I am embarrassed to read how cheap the OP is. An MS in EE with a good job and cannot fork out $3K for the in-laws to visit - mind you, they will be helping out at home with the child care! SMH
The puzzle is in why they paid their own way out to visit for the first baby, but not for the second. OP, have they expressed any interest at all in seeing the baby? Is the second-born chopped liver, or something? Or was the first one a boy, and this one's a girl?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why not? Unless they are low income, why shouldn't they pay for their own tickets?
If the OP's parent-in-law are coming to help take care of the toddler and soon-to-be born baby, why should they pay for the airfare?

Though OP said he is a Korean, he is born in US and thinks in American way. His wife and his parent-in-law think in the other way.

In most East Asian societies, it would be extremely rude to ask the parent-in-law to pay for their travel expenses if they come to help the couple even if they can afford it.

The only way for OP to save money is to make up some excuses to just invite the mother-in-law come since father-in-law may not be able to offer much help.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I would have loved that.
I wonder how the Koreans prevent nosocomial infections during a 4 week stay. It would be awful if a mother or newborn contracted an illness while in the hospital.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The puzzle is in why they paid their own way out to visit for the first baby, but not for the second. OP, have they expressed any interest at all in seeing the baby? Is the second-born chopped liver, or something? Or was the first one a boy, and this one's a girl?
There is a subtle difference between the first and the second trips. During the first born, the wife did not need much help and could manage the baby herself.

But for this trip, obviously the purpose is to help the couple out since his wife alone cannot manage a baby and a toddler.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 10-12-2017 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP only recently got this travel job this year. Presumably the first time, he was assisting with childcare during the early newborn phase and there was only the one newborn. This time, he will be away from Monday to Thursday and there will be a newborn and one other child.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
OP's in-laws are willing to take off from their own jobs and spend a month in a foreign country, helping take care of his child, presumably without pay. It seems to me that springing for their plane tickets would be a gesture of gratitude for what will surely be a tiring month for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting