Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
I've had this issue. I actually had a neighbor when my kids were little send out an email to a group of stay at home moms to sign up for a day of the week to watch her child in the summertime. No one responded.
That's funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I've always been a WAHM (work-at-home Mom) and a couple of other moms have done this to me way back when my kids were young. I have no problem with my son's friend coming over and staying the afternoon occasionally once they reached a certain age, but one mom then wanted to leave her baby there too. Um... nope!

I actually caught one neighbor woman from upstairs in the apartment complex 'ding-dong dash'-ing but leaving her 3-4 year old daughter on my step instead of just playing a prank. I hardly knew the woman and she called, "You are so awesome to watch her while I go to this job interview!" from her car in the parking lot. I called back "What? No! I'm calling the cops" and she came running back glaring at me.

That goes a bit beyond the scope of this discusssion though.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,939 times
I guess it's because maybe they assume that you don't do anything and are free? Not saying that's true but that could be what they are thinking!

That's super rude though! I would never drop kids off at someones house and just assume that they are free to watch them. Then to not even offer to pay you for your time... just so rude :/

Old 11-30-2017, 02:05 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I am a SAHM. I've had a few people ask me if they can drop their child off at my home while they work during the day. For free childcare. They seem surprised when I say no. They say that since I stay home all day, they thought it would be no problem for me to take their child. I have to explain that with 3 young kids, it's hard for me to babysit. And I don't stay home all day. I run errands, take kids to doctor/dentist/orthodontist/dance class, etc. I'm pretty busy.

I have a list of drop-in day care centers in our area, which I use myself whenever I get into a bind. I give them this info but they seem bummed about having to pay for daycare.

So I'm curious why people assume that SAHMs will provide free childcare? I know a "few" who babysit for extra money, but don't know any who babysit for free. Also, I stopped babysitting when I was in college.
Never experienced that and did the SAHM deal throughout my kid's childhood. That's so tacky! My kid was an only child, yet we were busy most days. Sometimes it was fun to have another kid along, kept my kid entertained, but I don't recall anyone ever assuming I could take their kid because I had nothing better to do.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ok...so it happens a fair amount of times to you and your friends that strangers approach you for free daycare.

Sounds more like someone wants to stir up SAH vs working moms. Yawn. So old. Hopefully we're beyond that.

Oh gosh, I missed "while they work". SAH vs Working Moms. Mommy Wars. So Old. One day the OP, and other moms, will wake up and their kid(s) will be in their 20s and this whole debate will be so far behind them they won't believe they ever flipped out over such things. Trust me.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
I will grant that this never happened to me. It sounds ****ty.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I am a SAHM. I've had a few people ask me if they can drop their child off at my home while they work during the day. For free childcare. They seem surprised when I say no. They say that since I stay home all day, they thought it would be no problem for me to take their child. I have to explain that with 3 young kids, it's hard for me to babysit. And I don't stay home all day. I run errands, take kids to doctor/dentist/orthodontist/dance class, etc. I'm pretty busy.

I have a list of drop-in day care centers in our area, which I use myself whenever I get into a bind. I give them this info but they seem bummed about having to pay for daycare.

So I'm curious why people assume that SAHMs will provide free childcare? I know a "few" who babysit for extra money, but don't know any who babysit for free. Also, I stopped babysitting when I was in college.
Because they undervalue the work you do. I work from home most days and people automatically assume since I'm home I can just drop everything to help out - either with babysitting, taking someone grocery shopping, etc.

I agree with you on not babysitting if you don't have the time or energy to do so.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
What the OP is experiencing is very surprising.
I don't think its surprising in the least. I've had the same thing happen to me because I happen to work from home. People don't think or don't care how their requests put out others.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:45 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I will help out anybody in an emergency, once. Shortly after we moved here, I was warned that the woman next door would try to take advantage of me. The first time she asked me to watch her toddler I said yes. The second time, I said no. The same with the 3rd time. She stopped asking.

But that was one woman, over 30 + years. It's certainly never been endemic anywhere I've lived.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I’ve never heard of this happening honestly. My neighbors and I will take turns taking days off with the kids for school breaks and holidays so we can avoid childcare costs and there are stay at home moms in the group but we keep their kids too so they just wind up getting a day off. What you’re describing is insanely rude and I wouldn’t do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting