Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why would someone leave their most precious possession with someone they barely know? For all she knew you could have been running a drug empire or knew bad people (not that this is true of the OP). I don't understand this idea of leaving children willy nilly with other people they don't know well.
I'd rather put my child in a licensed daycare, they have cameras everywhere and do background checks on their workers. (Although that's no guarantee of anything). Sure, not everyone has the money for daycare, but I get the feeling some of the parents who want free care, could actually afford to pay.

I'd never leave my child with some mom in the community that I'd never met before, even if I knew other people who knew her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Hey there CD people. Next time you make dinner (tonight I presume), go ahead and make me some grilled salmon with mashed potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise sauce and a chocolate cake. And do that every night (since you eat every night). Oh, and go ahead and do that for every meal rather than just dinner.

Thanks, don't worry about dropping it off. I can come and pick it up...unless the weather is bad, then go ahead and drop it off.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:00 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I haven't been asked repeatedly.
Oh. I was going off of this and thought it had happened more than once (i.e. repeatedly):

Quote:
I've had a few people ask me if they can drop their child off at my home while they work during the day. For free childcare.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 AM

More than once, yes. Repeatedly to me, implies it happens quite often. It doesn't.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why would someone leave their most precious possession with someone they barely know? For all she knew you could have been running a drug empire or knew bad people (not that this is true of the OP). I don't understand this idea of leaving children willy nilly with other people they don't know well.
It certainly shocked me! I never heard or saw any other questionable activity from them and the girl seemed happy and healthy whenever I saw them. We had exchanged "Hellos" a few times and our husbands a few comments about video games, but I'd still consider us strangers.

Can't imagine why she thought that appropriate. I even wondered if she would've taken off in the car without even making sure I was home first. Scary.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
It certainly shocked me! I never heard or saw any other questionable activity from them and the girl seemed happy and healthy whenever I saw them. We had exchanged "Hellos" a few times and our husbands a few comments about video games, but I'd still consider us strangers.

Can't imagine why she thought that appropriate. I even wondered if she would've taken off in the car without even making sure I was home first. Scary.
And then, if something bad happened to her child because you weren't at home, she might have tried to hold you responsible for it, by claiming that you agreed to babysit (although you didn't). That's something to watch out for with these types of parents. If they will leave their child with a stranger, they will do anything.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
OP, I like how you offer a list of local daycare centers. Might I suggest next time if this happens, reply with, "No thanks, I'm not looking for extra income right now." That'll let them know up front that you aren't a free service.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:20 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
OP, I like how you offer a list of local daycare centers. Might I suggest next time if this happens, reply with, "No thanks, I'm not looking for extra income right now." That'll let them know up front that you aren't a free service.
Or maybe "Sure, put him in the garage. There's a fridge full of beer in there so he'll have a good time."

Old 11-30-2017, 02:22 PM

581 posts, read 456,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
That's an awesome response!

I have a friend who experienced something similar. She used to work as a nanny and her employer's friends thought they had free reign to dump their kids on her for "playdates." It was happening way more than having the occasional friend over here and there, so she told the mother she'd have to raise her hourly rate. That nipped things in the bud very quickly.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:37 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
When I became a full time stay at home mom I did have people ask me to watch their kids regularly for pay. I said no to any regular gigs but did babysit on occasion. While most were totally understanding of me not wanting to be a full time nanny, a couple seemed confused as to why I'd say no as I was home anyway. They didn't seem to understand that I already had my hands very full.

When my dd started school she made a best friend. Initially I thought the friend's mom was trying to befriend me too but it soon became clear that she was looking for free childcare. Not regularly but occasionally. She would say things like, it takes a village" but the help only went one way. I had to put my foot down. She did it to a lot of people. Some people are just takers.

At one point I agreed to watch a friend's kids after school for pay as she was in a serious bind but she was terrible at communicating when she needed help and would often call at the last minute. One day she called me after school had already let out to ask if I could pick her kids up but since I didn't know ahead of time, I was at home because my kid was sick that day. Even though it was not my problem, I drove to pick them up. I'd also never know what time she was picking them up from my house as her schedule was erratic and she wasn't good at communicating. I was so happy when that gig ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting