Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:48 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I don't know why I'm bothering to argue against that since you are well set in your ways, BUT I'll tell the tale for the others:
I was an EMT and once had to assist an injured professional jockey. Very short, very compact, and probably the strongest, most muscular man I ever worked with. When I palpated his shoulders and arms his muscular structure felt like he was made of marble. Not a feminine trade all. A lot of recreational riders are women, and my daughters both had horses. The older could shake your hand and make YOU cry. Controlling a horse that outweighs you by over 1000 pounds is a mind game that takes great strength.

I don't ride but read "horseback riding is seen as a feminine sport" and literally laughed out loud...
Whaaaaaaaat?

Therapeutic horse riding is a wonderful thing. Fantastic idea. I've watched it in person once, years and years ago and it was really a beautiful thing. The size and power yet gentleness of the horses has an amazing effect. It seemed to be a truly bonding experience, and helped give the young people a sense of accomplishment, confidence, and most of all an OVERCOMING OF FEARS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 09:54 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
<>Therapeutic horse riding is a wonderful thing. Fantastic idea. I've watched it in person once, years and years ago and it was really a beautiful thing.<>
All my kids rode, but not for therapy. Hmmmm. Maybe it was and we just didn't realize it at the time, eh? Could be what we need to do is bring back horseback riding and eliminate football. We didn't have all these problems with kids, especially boys, when everybody was a farm boy and rode horses.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
All my kids rode, but not for therapy. Hmmmm. Maybe it was and we just didn't realize it at the time, eh? Could be what we need to do is bring back horseback riding and eliminate football. We didn't have all these problems with kids, especially boys, when everybody was a farm boy and rode horses.
Totally agree!

Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
I don't know why I'm bothering to argue against that since you are well set in your ways, BUT I'll tell the tale for the others:
I was an EMT and once had to assist an injured professional jockey. Very short, very compact, and probably the strongest, most muscular man I ever worked with. When I palpated his shoulders and arms his muscular structure felt like he was made of marble. Not a feminine trade all. A lot of recreational riders are women, and my daughters both had horses. The older could shake your hand and make YOU cry. Controlling a horse that outweighs you by over 1000 pounds is a mind game that takes great strength.
This! I was referring to recreational horseback riding. Professional horseback riding is different. But what do I know, I was never into horses. Although I did pet a friendly horse a few times, and found them to be pretty cool; similar to how a cat person might like a specific dog. And you're spot-on about horses outweighing a person by 1000 pounds. There's a reason police often use horses for crowd control, rather than specially-equipped cars.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son has always been sort of a worrier, but this year is worse. His fear of death has been prevalent. Nothing has happened to him personally-but he won’t watch anything remotely scary on tv, these school shootings we hear about have him nervous, global warming, house fires, pollution, tornados, - basically any type of catastrophe. His imagination/anxiety is in overdrive.

It just seems like every day he has a new fear. We’re goingbon a cruise for vacation and he is worried about the boat sinking.

He is in a church group Awanas that he looks forward to going to every Wednesday, but no other activities. He loves to read and play video games, especially Pokémon. He loves to laugh and joke around. His grades are good- gifted and talented program. He would greatly benefit from having an extracurricular activity for the social interaction.

How can I get him to relax about these big issues?
I see most of the responses have dealt with diverting his fears rather than facing them head on. If he was five that may be a good approach but at the age of ten it should be easier to fight fear with facts and science and math. Knowledge is key, Google is your friend. Taking your cruise for example, research how many passengers take cruises every year and you'll be able to show him that he has a better chance of being hit by lightning than sinking on a cruise ship. Show him that just as his behavior in a thunderstorm is altered for comfort and safety, companies in the cruise business alter their operations to keep passengers and crew safe and comfortable.

The things you report him fearing the most are all very, very remote possibilities and he's old enough to do the research with you to understand that doom and gloom scenarios are usually widely exaggerated and allowing them to control your life and his are counterproductive. Show him what things are being done every day to minimize those things he fears. The earth is 4.5 billion years old and there have been times the continents were awash but it will take a hundred million years before that happens again; he's not drowning in your backyard.

One thing is certain on earth and that is that we have a 100% death rate - there is no option but the odds of one of the things he seems to focus on being the cause is so remote to be a waste of time which could be more productively and happily spent. The task is to get him to not focus on those tiny chances but on everything else he does in life. The more he's exposed to, the better. For that reason I disagree completely with those who would have you shelter him from the news. He'll see it and hear it anyway so be prepared to discuss it with him and help him keep it in a non-threatening perspective.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
OP, I work with small children and it's often the ones who are showing more aptitude and scholastic abilities who are the more anxious ones. It's not that they're "smarter" than other kids who don't have those levels of anxiety- it's just that the more anxious kids process their surroundings in ways that often manifest into anxious thoughts and behaviors.

What works for my colleagues and I is giving these particular kids more challenges, whether it's with school work or with a project of some sort. We will also have these kids be our "helpers" and they seem to really enjoy that role, especially when they hear that their teacher can't finish a task without their help. You'd be surprised at how much a kid can calm down when they're focused on a task that gives them a level of control.

I'd say a visit to your pediatrician is in order; if anything else, you can get your son a basic check up and a recommendation for some sort of therapy, if that's a route your family wants to head toward. Good luck!
Agree with bolded statement. Had a friend who's kid was off the charts till about 5. he was born in 1986, US wasn't really in turmoil at that time. Dad had a great job, mom taugh aeorbics. No lack in the family. he was just born this way, till he got a little life experience that he didn't need to be anxious 24/7 Things were going to be OK. He'd be on a plane and scream every once in awhile they were all going to die. Parents were so used to it, they'd just laugh to try to put others at ease.

He grew up to be a very smart kid, anxiety calmed down. Now he's a very successful business owner, married with kids.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:15 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I was once that kid. Please take the child to a therapist. The first half of my life could have been very different had my mother done more than just yell at me to stop it. All that did was teach me to hide it. She honestly didn't know any better.

I was 40 before it occurred to me that other people's first thought upon awakening might not be "Will this be the day that I die?" and then coming up with rituals to prevent "it" from happening.

I did get therapy around that time, but while I was in therapy, the cure for me happened to be finding myself in a situation where I was possibly acturally facing the moment of my death. I didn't die that day, but I used up the rest of my lifetime supply of fear, and I have not feared death since. You don't want to have it get to that point, obviously. Or have him wait another 30 years.

One thing I found that was very important was paying attention to my intuition. If you squelch your natural intuition, it can manifest itself in harmful ways. I'm not talking about anything magical or spooky here, but the natural intuition that we all have to one degree or another.

The best to your son.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:19 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son has always been sort of a worrier, but this year is worse. His fear of death has been prevalent. Nothing has happened to him personally-but he won’t watch anything remotely scary on tv, these school shootings we hear about have him nervous, global warming, house fires, pollution, tornados, - basically any type of catastrophe. His imagination/anxiety is in overdrive.

It just seems like every day he has a new fear. We’re goingbon a cruise for vacation and he is worried about the boat sinking.

He is in a church group Awanas that he looks forward to going to every Wednesday, but no other activities. He loves to read and play video games, especially Pokémon. He loves to laugh and joke around. His grades are good- gifted and talented program. He would greatly benefit from having an extracurricular activity for the social interaction.

How can I get him to relax about these big issues?
I think this is a phase that will pass. Not that he will change, but he will learn how to manage these big feelings better as he matures. Try to protect him from the news as much as possible. This article might offer some insight since you mentioned he is in the G&T program

Overexcitability and the Gifted - SENG

Old 02-17-2018, 10:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Get a therapist for him. Anxiety all but ruined my childhood. My parents were either blind, or I hid it very well. If I'd had professional help at a younger age, my quality of life could have been greatly improved. You can't just get someone with anxiety to quit worrying. It doesn't work like that.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:25 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Therapist.
He needs help defining rational fear from irrational fear & how to cope with irrational.

Keep the TV news off--it's enough to make anyone a nervous wreck.

Help him find his gifts..things he is good at. Accomplishment makes everyone feel less helpless & more confident. Help him find a mix of lifetime sports & hobbies that he enjoys.

If you have access to horseback riding, definitely do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting