Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I think your wife is not normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Your wife needs help and if she won’t go, you need to talk to a family therapist on how to deal with your wife’s toxic attitude. This is deeper than just the coincidencental dates of birth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Your wife should probably get some counseling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
No, it's not normal.
(snip).
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Get help for your wife before it is too late. She is poisoning your entire family.
I agree with these posters, and everyone else who says "This is NOT normal behavior".

Also, as others have asked "Why in the world are you allowing your wife to determine how often your family can see your child? Unless there is something that you aren't telling us (like your wife limits contact because your parents are alcoholics or drug addicts or something like that) YOU need to step up and say "Honey, our child is my child, too and I want them to see my parents more often."

Emergency, immediate couples counseling before it gets worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 07:50 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Erm, OP. Does your wife have these extreme, immature and narcississtic reactions to EVERYthing or just this?

Does she have girlfriends?

Somehow I feel I already know what the answers shall be

Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Not normal. Immature.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think it is normal to feel a little bit like the wind was taken out of your sails when a close family member has an important event very close to yours. I have never felt that way but I have heard it a lot.

But the behavior of your wife and the extent she is taking it...that is way over board.

It isn't like you and your brother secretly planned to get your wives knocked up at the same time to take away her attention.
Or DID you?

LOL!

Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
This can't be normal can it? Has anyone seen a situation like this?

I just found out today that my brother and his wife are pregnant with their second kid...they just hit the 12 week mark and the baby will be due early December. They have another kid who is 3. My wife and I have a son that is 15 months and are also expecting a second baby around early December.

My wife hates my brother's wife and thinks my parents favor her/them much more over us....that's probably because my niece gets to see my parents all the time and with my kid, my wife puts moratoriums on when my parents can visit our son..like every 2 weeks or so. To add insult to injury, my wife also dislikes my niece because she came from my sister in law.

Needless to say my wife is not only pissed they are having a second kid at all, but also that he/she will be born around the same time as our second one. She had a cute idea to announce to my family on father's day, but now she just wants me to text them or call them...not even tell them in person ! (They live 15 minutes away). She thinks now that our second kid will be irrelevant beause my brother's second kid will be the hot topic of the year from my parents' perspective.

So I ask - this isn't normal is it? Has anyone else had any family drama where kids from the same general family are born around the week? I try to tell her "just focus on our two kids", but I have the feeling I'm going to be the target of her envy and disappointment for a long time...as if I can control when other people decide to have babies.
Well, as an aside, WATCH out, that your own two don't learn her manipulation drama techniques for attention. I say, be ridiculous back: Wife, we will talk when S.I.L. commits murder. Wife, I will sit in brother's room and prevent them from having another baby so close to ours. Wife, I will go without you, since you have issues with niece.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Well, as an aside, WATCH out, that your own two don't learn her manipulation drama techniques for attention. I say, be ridiculous back: Wife, we will talk when S.I.L. commits murder. Wife, I will sit in brother's room and prevent them from having another baby so close to ours. Wife, I will go without you, since you have issues with niece.
Yeah that she dislikes the CHILD just because she dislikes the sister in law takes it to whole other level of disturbing.

OP are you a henpecked sort of fella?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
This can't be normal can it? Has anyone seen a situation like this?

I just found out today that my brother and his wife are pregnant with their second kid...they just hit the 12 week mark and the baby will be due early December. They have another kid who is 3. My wife and I have a son that is 15 months and are also expecting a second baby around early December.

My wife hates my brother's wife and thinks my parents favor her/them much more over us....that's probably because my niece gets to see my parents all the time and with my kid, my wife puts moratoriums on when my parents can visit our son..like every 2 weeks or so. To add insult to injury, my wife also dislikes my niece because she came from my sister in law.

Needless to say my wife is not only pissed they are having a second kid at all, but also that he/she will be born around the same time as our second one. She had a cute idea to announce to my family on father's day, but now she just wants me to text them or call them...not even tell them in person ! (They live 15 minutes away). She thinks now that our second kid will be irrelevant beause my brother's second kid will be the hot topic of the year from my parents' perspective.

So I ask - this isn't normal is it? Has anyone else had any family drama where kids from the same general family are born around the week? I try to tell her "just focus on our two kids", but I have the feeling I'm going to be the target of her envy and disappointment for a long time...as if I can control when other people decide to have babies.

I really feel for you, Bud. I lived with a woman who found every excuse to be unhappy, and it was a living Hell. From what you describe, your wife is very controlling and a drama queen.

If you do not start standing up and putting your foot down, it is only going to get worse as the years go by. Been there, done that.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Wait a minute.

OP, when your parents come over, do they spend their time talking about your brother's child or making developmental-milestone comparisons to yours? Maybe your wife is angry because she sees this happening.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
One of my sons has a cousin who is two weeks older than he is.

With another pregnancy, DH's sister and a sister in law were pregnant at the same time I was, though the due dates were not as close. All those cousins enjoy being with each other still, and they are in their 30s and 40s.

I know of two women, good friends, who found out they were both pregnant when they showed up at an obstetrician's office at the same time to start prenatal care. They also delivered almost simultaneously. The OB barely had time to finish one delivery before doing the other. They shared a room in the hospital, back before private rooms for all became the norm for postpartum care. It was almost like a plot for a sitcom.

I agree that OP and his wife could benefit from some counseling before their kids get older and caught up in the toxicity.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
This indeed does not seem like a rational behavior but I should point out that you have a 15 month old AND your wife is pregnant again. Her state of mind could be rather fragile right now.

There could be something else behind such hatred of another family member but whatever you decide to do I’d advise you to be very cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting