Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:10 PM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggznsauce View Post
Right! And not just OP. The parents were totally okay with having the older kids live at home rent and worry free. Of course that's because they're good responsible kids...they have jobs, money, and are willing to help out at the family business. Notice how these all benefit the parents just as much as the children. They claim the culture values children so why not value and love your obviously upset and depressed youngest son. It's 2021 and in Canada; help is and has been available for years...I don't see what was stopping them from getting him help especially after the issues at school?

Here's the deal. The older kids were/are easy and basically take care of themselves. No brain power to deal with them and plenty of perks going back to the parents. This other kid is different and the parents refuse to adapt their parenting (or lack of) for the odd one out. So he suffers for not being a carbon copy of his siblings yet isn't given any support for what makes him different.

This isn't unusual for the youngest of many families but especially true for immigrants and those of a culturally specific background.
OP said he would refuse help as he doesn't think anything is wrong with himself. You can't force an adult to get help. He's not a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 12:01 AM

819 posts, read 583,366 times
I have a friend who is in her 70s, has been divorced for many years (on good terms with ex) and one of her sons, who is in his 40s, lives with her. She rents a two-bedroom apartment and never talks about him so he probably doesn't work. It doesn't sound ideal but maybe they are both just doing the best they can.

Some adult "kids" just don't launch and this is not a unique problem. I'd suggest doing more research and perhaps finding a support group for mom and dad, if they want it. If they truly want him out, they will need to find the strength from somewhere and get guidance on how best to proceed.

Whatever happens, good luck.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 26,074 times
Just writing again to give an update. Thanks for all the replies.

In summary (after what eventually turned into several public breakdowns and violent acts to where the authorities had to be called on him), it turned out that he had a serious case schizophrenia the whole time, and because it was untreated, it had just gotten worse and worse for him. His cellphone was even full of highly delusional notes to 'demons' and more. In short, it was a total nightmare for everyone, all of it, but finally, after mandatory hospitalizations and mandatory medication, today he is stable, normal, sweet, and basically an angel of a brother just like how I remember him as a kid. Now that his mind is so much more clear, he's 100% willingly recovering with medication and is fully cooperative. He doesn't recall a single negative episode or incident from the past, it's like his mind was in a complete fog.

I honestly thought I had lost him for good by the time I was typing up this original thread and just thought he had become a terrible person. I didn't for a second believe it could truly be all because of a mental health problem, and so reading some of these replies was quite shocking at the time. But in the end, it was the truth. Thank you, everyone.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Wow, thanks for the update. I’m happy you have your brother back and I hope everything continues to go well.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:49 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINAKOS View Post
Just writing again to give an update. Thanks for all the replies.

In summary (after what eventually turned into several public breakdowns and violent acts to where the authorities had to be called on him), it turned out that he had a serious case schizophrenia the whole time, and because it was untreated, it had just gotten worse and worse for him. His cellphone was even full of highly delusional notes to 'demons' and more. In short, it was a total nightmare for everyone, all of it, but finally, after mandatory hospitalizations and mandatory medication, today he is stable, normal, sweet, and basically an angel of a brother just like how I remember him as a kid. Now that his mind is so much more clear, he's 100% willingly recovering with medication and is fully cooperative. He doesn't recall a single negative episode or incident from the past, it's like his mind was in a complete fog.

I honestly thought I had lost him for good by the time I was typing up this original thread and just thought he had become a terrible person. I didn't for a second believe it could truly be all because of a mental health problem, and so reading some of these replies was quite shocking at the time. But in the end, it was the truth. Thank you, everyone.

Thanks so much for coming back to update. I'm glad your brother is diagnosed and functioning with medications. Hopefully he will stay on the medications but it's very possible he will feel better, decide he doesn't need them any more. I've seen that happen. Have a game plan on who you need to call in order to get him admitted to get back on meds.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:07 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks so much for coming back to update. I'm glad your brother is diagnosed and functioning with medications. Hopefully he will stay on the medications but it's very possible he will feel better, decide he doesn't need them any more. I've seen that happen. Have a game plan on who you need to call in order to get him admitted to get back on meds.
wise words.

I concur.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:10 AM

17 posts, read 26,074 times
Thanks so much, you guys!

Old 12-20-2021, 09:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Wow, thanks for the update. I’m happy you have your brother back and I hope everything continues to go well.
I second this - so glad he got the help he needed and that your family is OK.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:48 PM

325 posts, read 207,808 times
Very Good News for your family.

There are some excellent second generation antipsychotics that can be very effective as long as they are taken and will allow an individual to resume a normal life...yes, a normal life. College, full-time demanding job, travel, dating, etc.

Anosognosia is an additional condition that frequently accompanies Bipolar, Schizoaffective and Schizophrenia in 40-50% of cases and is the number one reason people don't seek treatment or they do not stay on their medication long enough for it to reduce and eliminate symptoms. Sometimes medication can take as long as 6-7 months to get it under control.

If at all possible... try and obtain a legal backup plan in the event the medication stops working or because the individual goes off the oral medication. There is an excellent monthly shot that helps reduce the risk of someone stopping oral medication.

Once again... Good Luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting