Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 01:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
"You're right ... but my point is, does a 17 year old really need to be told he has to share?"

Many of them, yes they do! At this age they can be pretty self-absorbed and thoughtless. Don't overthink it and take it so personally, he's not thinking "I don't care if she doesn't get any", it's just a simple, "I'm hungry, that turkey was good, think I'll have some more!" Just remind him you all want to be able to have some. And it may take quite a few reminders for it to sink in.

Even if he has a job, I think making a 17yo go back and buy more turkey with his own money seems kind of mean spirited. It's not like it was ice cream or cookies, turkey is hardly a treat food. Does his other parent pay child support that would presumably cover at least part of his share of food?
We don't need his mom's money ... she doesn't have any anyway, but that's not the point.

Well he works next door to the grocery store also. Otherwise I gotta drive 20 mins there so it make sense foe him to get it. I'll pay him back, IDC. The $$ isn't the issue. You gotta share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 01:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ok but the question was, should he know better? is it common sense to share? I thought it was.

And his grades are not too good, he is failing a few classes but that's irrelevant.

I simply want to know if that should be common sense @ that age or not.

I think we've all pretty much implied that one shouldn't count on common sense when it comes to teenagers.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think we've all pretty much implied that one shouldn't count on common sense when it comes to teenagers.
Ok good to know. At what age do they start to get common sense?

Serious question ... im sorry. Ive never parented before

Old 05-04-2021, 01:59 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
We don't need his mom's money ... she doesn't have any anyway, but that's not the point.

Well he works next door to the grocery store also. Otherwise I gotta drive 20 mins there so it make sense foe him to get it. I'll pay him back, IDC. The $$ isn't the issue. You gotta share.
You sound a little stressed. Maybe the three of you could work something out where your stepson or your husband stops at the grocery store once a week to pick up anything you all are low on, and that would lessen the pressure of you having to get everything with one big shopping once a week. IDK why all the shopping is on you when you work 7 days a week.

I know I always forget something at the store and have to go back more often than I’d like.

Also I don’t think you really can “parent†him at this point.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg8181 View Post
ok good to know. At what age do they start to get common sense?

Serious question ... Im sorry. Ive never parented before

35?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You sound a little stressed. Maybe the three of you could work something out where your stepson or your husband stops at the grocery store once a week to pick up anything you all are low on, and that would lessen the pressure of you having to get everything with one big shopping once a week. IDK why all the shopping is on you when you work 7 days a week.

I know I always forget something at the store and have to go back more often than I’d like.

Also I don’t think you really can “parent†him at this point.
My husband works 7 days a week also. Difference is I work @ home so he isn't able to do it. I'm not really able to do it either but someone has to. Stepson doesn't drive yet. We live in a high COL area - we work 7 days a week by choice, we can afford to not to but we like the extra $$ - 5 days @ our main jobs and then weekends @ our side hustle ... which I suppose we could skip if we had to. It just has been that since the pandemic, I was moved to WFH so by default I am going.

Ya that could work. He doesn't drive yet so he can only grab so much but yeah that would be a good solution I guess.

I'm stressed yes b/c now I am not sure what i'll have for lunch and not sure if there's enough now ... I might have to send him or take another trip back.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Ok good to know. At what age do they start to get common sense?

Serious question ... im sorry. Ive never parented before
It's a learning thing. IF he's never had siblings, he may have never had to share before. Whoever parented him before you and your husband probably just knew what he liked, and groceries were bought accordingly. "Johnny likes turkey and poptarts and chicken nuggets. I will pick those up at the store".

That's kind of why I'm saying don't shame him about it. He likely never thought about it...cause that's how teenagers just are. Just let him know in a good natured way what you expect in the future.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
35?
LOL. Thank you. I'll look out for that in 17 years

Old 05-04-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My husband works 7 days a week also. Difference is I work @ home so he isn't able to do it. I'm not really able to do it either but someone has to. Stepson doesn't drive yet. We live in a high COL area - we work 7 days a week by choice, we can afford to not to but we like the extra $$ - 5 days @ our main jobs and then weekends @ our side hustle ... which I suppose we could skip if we had to. It just has been that since the pandemic, I was moved to WFH so by default I am going.

Ya that could work. He doesn't drive yet so he can only grab so much but yeah that would be a good solution I guess.

I'm stressed yes b/c now I am not sure what i'll have for lunch and not sure if there's enough now ... I might have to send him or take another trip back.

You know...also, some of the grocery stores have pick up service and/or delivery service. I just started using delivery (I get it free for a month) from Walmart. That would save you time.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
It's a learning thing. IF he's never had siblings, he may have never had to share before. Whoever parented him before you and your husband probably just knew what he liked, and groceries were bought accordingly. "Johnny likes turkey and poptarts and chicken nuggets. I will pick those up at the store".

That's kind of why I'm saying don't shame him about it. He likely never thought about it...cause that's how teenagers just are. Just let him know in a good natured way what you expect in the future.
Thank you. I know it wasn't malicious or to like purposely do it to make me have none but it's still annoying when you have your week planned meal-wise and then that gets disrupted and you have to go back the store that isn't that close or improvise.

it's really not a big deal, I know that. I was just annoyed b/c I literally got the turkey yesterday PM and now it's gone.

Arrrgh. Thanks. He had siblings in his mom's house. Here he does not so maybe he thinks he can do things differently here. Still, instead of siblings, swap it out for parents. Still gotta share regardless.

You have been helpful. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting