Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 02:12 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My husband works 7 days a week also. Difference is I work @ home so he isn't able to do it. I'm not really able to do it either but someone has to. Stepson doesn't drive yet. We live in a high COL area - we work 7 days a week by choice, we can afford to not to but we like the extra $$ - 5 days @ our main jobs and then weekends @ our side hustle ... which I suppose we could skip if we had to. It just has been that since the pandemic, I was moved to WFH so by default I am going.

Ya that could work. He doesn't drive yet so he can only grab so much but yeah that would be a good solution I guess.

I'm stressed yes b/c now I am not sure what i'll have for lunch and not sure if there's enough now ... I might have to send him or take another trip back.
Grocery delivery—

I think you should look into it.

There are services for $100/year. I know WalMart now delivers groceries. I think Amazon does as well in certain markets.

If you are worried about your produce, I know WM for example will refund or replace any produce not to your satisfaction.

Something needs to give. You are stretched too thin. Your stepson needs to drive. When you aren’t so concerned about the basics, like grocery shopping, you have more time and emotional resources to put towards other issues, such as his grades and his not driving.

In the end, I don’t think this is really about the turkey. It’s about living too far from the store, working too much, not having enough time, a stepson who you don’t totally know how to communicate with, and all the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 02:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You know...also, some of the grocery stores have pick up service and/or delivery service. I just started using delivery (I get it free for a month) from Walmart. That would save you time.
Yes that's true but those services are soooo much more $$ than the grocery store advertises and then you gotta tip the person.

We don't struggle with $$. I'm just wondering is it worth it?

Old 05-04-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Grocery delivery—

I think you should look into it.

There are services for $100/year. I know WalMart now delivers groceries. I think Amazon does as well in certain markets.

If you are worried about your produce, I know WM for example will refund or replace any produce not to your satisfaction.

Something needs to give. You are stretched too thin. Your stepson needs to drive. When you aren’t so concerned about the basics, like grocery shopping, you have more time and emotional resources to put towards other issues, such as his grades and his not driving.

In the end, I don’t think this is really about the turkey. It’s about living too far from the store, working too much, not having enough time, a stepson who you don’t totally know how to communicate with, and all the rest.
Indeed. There are def other issues in play here. I was just annoyed b/c I have to deviate from my routine now ... either improvise lunch from something we have here, go back to the store or order something.

In my state you can't drive until 17. We're working on getting him scheduled for classes.

It's fine lol. Thank you guys.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:24 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
I work hard for my money and I go out and buy everything for the family that we are to make it stretch for the week.
Quote:
We don't struggle with $$.
Ok, so you work 7 days/week by choice but don't appreciate taking time out for necessities.

Is there nothing else in the house to eat for lunch?

Is 1 lb of deli turkey meant to provide daily lunches for 3 adults for an entire week?

There is a difference between common sense and courtesy; but both need to be taught, and people have different things that they prioritize. For example, in my house I think it's both common sense and courteous to take your shoes off at the door (and scientifically backed but that's beside the point). A lot of people feel otherwise, so your house, your rules.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Ok, so you work 7 days/week by choice but don't appreciate taking time out for necessities.

Is there nothing else in the house to eat for lunch?

Is 1 lb of deli turkey meant to provide daily lunches for 3 adults for an entire week?

There is a difference between common sense and courtesy; but both need to be taught, and people have different things that they prioritize. For example, in my house I think it's both common sense and courteous to take your shoes off at the door (and scientifically backed but that's beside the point). A lot of people feel otherwise, so your house, your rules.
There are other things to eat of course but now without the turkey we have to stretch it a little more. In other words, I was gonna eat turkey tomorrow ... now my meal for Thursday has to be eaten tomorrow. That sort of thing.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:39 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
There are worse things he could be doing and eating. I'm wondering if you have other issues with the stepson?

Old 05-04-2021, 02:44 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
There are other things to eat of course but now without the turkey we have to stretch it a little more. In other words, I was gonna eat turkey tomorrow ... now my meal for Thursday has to be eaten tomorrow. That sort of thing.
If you plan out your lunches specifically for each day, and there are other people in the house that are sharing the food, I suggest that you think up a few alternative lunches that you can keep on hand because just saying, "We all need to shaa-aare" may not do it.

Maybe you can keep a couple of cans of tuna in the pantry or something to fall back on. And extra snacks for your stepson too (beef jerky? protein bars?). You may eat exactly the same amount of food every day and plan the week accordingly but a growing teen can suddenly be starving and eat everything in sight for three or four days in a row. It's not about knowing or not knowing that the food has to be shared, it's that they genuinely NEED MORE FOOD RIGHT NOW. Ask me how I know. (I have a 16-year-old son .)

Old 05-04-2021, 02:46 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I found it IS different being a Stepparent.

I was as mad as the OP for the first year or so (I had no kids), I literally had to coach myself to think of him as if he were my teen. It helped oodles.

For gosh sakes, hold on to your sense of humor. Scolding the kidlet just made him surly at me (understandable), making jokes about his bad behavior cracked him up AND made him look at it from another side without being defensive. Of course, that's him, but you DO have to demonstrate HOW to handle conflict in a positive light.

"Hey did you not notice that your socks were a tad tight?"

"Yeah, I guess so" /shrug

"They are MINE. Good lordy, your father better speak to immediately about how to buy the right condom. You can't just go around squeezing your body parts into things that are too small. "
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Yes that's true but those services are soooo much more $$ than the grocery store advertises and then you gotta tip the person.

We don't struggle with $$. I'm just wondering is it worth it?
For me, yes, I think it's going to be worth it. I really dislike grocery shopping, and it HAS been nice to just open my front door, and there's the stuff. lol PLUS, they have no-minimum ordering, so...say you want turkey NOW. Order it, schedule the delivery, and BOOM. No muss, no fuss.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There are worse things he could be doing and eating. I'm wondering if you have other issues with the stepson?
Not really. I just inherited a teen overnight one night 2 years ago so I'm a bit lost as to how to parent one ... especially a boy.

I'm trying to think if I ever did this when I was a teen ... wanted to say yes I did and thought I did but I asked my mother and she actually said I was like a model teenager lol. My sister on the other hand ... oy lol.

But yeah ... things are pretty ok. I'm just not used to this so I find myself sometimes maybe getting annoyed @ things that are really just 'normal' for teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting