Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:04 PM

895 posts, read 4,250,047 times

Advertisements

Not one of my four kids slept through the night until at least twelve months old. I tried all the methods out there but my kids just stubbornly held on until they were ready around that 1 year mark. I think it also helped when they were eating a lot of solid foods too.

Have you also considered trying to condense naps into one. My little one gets up at 7AM, takes a nap from 11:30AM to 2PM and then is down for the night at 7PM. Switching from one to two naps can be tough on you both but it really helped mine to sleep more at night. I also make sure she has a full belly when she goes to bed.

I think it's hard to do the tough love with the "baby"--on the one hand, you've done it before and it's old hat but on the other hand -- they're only this young for a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,743 times
i did not breast feed my son...but when my son was that age i used to give him a cereal bottle for his bedtime bottle...after i started doing that he slept through the night from that moment on

Old 06-01-2008, 04:53 PM

430 posts, read 1,175,114 times
I wondering if your son is just ready to take one nap now. It just may not be that tired when going to bed. I would be careful about the sleeping with you in bed thing. I worked for many years in a infant room at a daycare. For infants things become a routine or habit. If you start that everynight you may have another issue down the road to break. Does he eat ceral before bedtime?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
A 8 month old not sleeping through the night ... what are the odd? Seriously.

None of mine slept through the night they were at least a year old, if your other two did prior to this child, consider it a blessing.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Did anyone else have this problem? My new son is my third and he is the easiest baby otherwise. He takes two good naps a day and I lay him down after feeding him around 9pm but he WILL NOT sleep all night. He wakes up several times and the only way he'll go back to sleep is if I nurse him. I am not getting enough sleep and neither is he...but I dont want to be a crutch for him...I'd like him to be able to get himself to sleep.

Does anyone else have advice?
We had the same problem....our youngest (now 10 mos.) didn't sleep through the night until 8 mos. It turns out we weren't giving him enough to eat during the day, so he was up in the middle of the night hungry for a bottle. We started giving him more food to eat during the day, and now sleeps soundly through the night.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:03 PM

836 posts, read 3,383,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Did anyone else have this problem? My new son is my third and he is the easiest baby otherwise. He takes two good naps a day and I lay him down after feeding him around 9pm but he WILL NOT sleep all night. He wakes up several times and the only way he'll go back to sleep is if I nurse him. I am not getting enough sleep and neither is he...but I dont want to be a crutch for him...I'd like him to be able to get himself to sleep.

Does anyone else have advice?

If your still nursing I would stop and put him on regular milk in a sippy cup (8months old he should be ready for a sippy cup).. your milk may not be giving him enough nurishment. I agree with MrKrabs.. feeding your lil one more through out the day might also help..
He maybe getting a tummy ache from eating so late. This could prevent him from sleeping by making him restless..Maybe you should try and feed him earlier let him play a lil while then put him to bed,.. see how that goes. Sometimes playing before bed can be a good thing (makes them sleepy and tired) and then a nice warm bath.. Teething can also cause them not to sleep through out the night. Nothing a lil Tylenol won't take care of..

Old 06-02-2008, 01:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
This is all just depressing, as I sit here at work on 4 hours of sleep - we have twin boys, just a month old, who are lucky to go 3 full hours asleep. I'd be happy if I only had to get up once!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This is all just depressing, as I sit here at work on 4 hours of sleep - we have twin boys, just a month old, who are lucky to go 3 full hours asleep. I'd be happy if I only had to get up once!
It may not seem like it now, but before you know it, they'll be sleeping all night.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
If your still nursing I would stop and put him on regular milk in a sippy cup (8months old he should be ready for a sippy cup).. your milk may not be giving him enough nurishment.
Sorry, but this is terrible advice. Not only are you encouraging starting cow's milk, but you are also encouraging stopping nursing? This baby is under a year old, and this is inappropriate advice for an 8 month old. Also, implying that cow's milk will give better nourishment than breastmilk is incorrect as well.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,714 times
Haven't read any responses, but here's what happened to us. My first daughter was waking once a night until about 7 months, then she started waking twice, then three times. It was extremely stressful because I was pumping right before bed, and if she woke soon after, she wouldn't get enough milk, setting her up to wake again and again. It got so I was lying awake tense, wondering when she was going to get up again. I got so sleep deprived I couldn't function. So we decided to wean her off the first feeding. We had to do CIO (cry it out). So the first time she woke, Dh would go in an offer her water, tell her it was time to sleep, not eat. Then he'd leave and we wait her out for about 10-15 minutes. If she was still crying, then I would go next, and we'd just take turns. On the first night it only took 2-3 three times before she gave up and went back to sleep. On the second night, only 1-2 times. The amazing thing was when she went back to sleep she actually slept through the feeding we were willing to give. Meaning we refused to feed her before 1am, and she was sleeping til 3. Basically she was giving up feedings on her own. I think a week and a half into it she slept until almost 7. That's when I decided we weren't going backwards. It was a total of 2 weeks before she was consistently sleeping through the night. I should also mention that around day 4 of this experiment she started eating much more solid food during the day. Before that ishe was eating almost nothing. So one thing led to another. She was 10.5 months when she became completely night-weaned.

My second daughter was much better and only woke once. But that one feeding time was never consistent, and it was also messing me up because I'd get up at 5am to go work out. If she woke at 4 or 4:30 I could never go back to sleep, and if she woke at 5 I'd be running late. So we did the same thing. Actually what happened was one night she didn't wake up at all, so I decided that was it. The next night she woke and Dh went in once, and that was it. She was probably much readier because she was already eating like a pig during the day. She was also about 10 months when she was nightweaned.

I heard that babies don't need to be nursed at night anymore starting around 9 months, the assumption being that they are eating enough during the day to sustain them. I sorta worked with that theory, but stayed flexible depending on our situation. Of course, if your baby has some health issues, like severe reflux or something like that, you may need the advice of your pedi. Hope this helps and that it wasn't too long!

ETA: I just read the other responses. I would NOT give cow's milk this early, esp. if your baby hasn't had any other dairy foods yet, like yogurt and cheese. If you want to give more nourishment, give him pumped breastmilk or formula if you don't have any breastmilk on hand. But at the point, food will work better for keeping them full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting