Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM

430 posts, read 1,175,114 times

Advertisements

I think all Mom's do things our own way and we are each at least we feel this way experts at being MOM'S. I think we all at one point or another mess up and the best advice is to listen and decide what you think works for you and your child. I don't agree with giving babies cow's milk before one year. If you have WIC in your state they don't. I used a sippy cup earlier but put formula in it or water. I think moving into baby foods should be a slow process to make sure that there are no allergies. I don't think putting cereal in a bottle is a good thing. What I do disagree with is that I really have trouble with potty training under one year. A friend did this and what she was doing training herself. A child will show signs both cognitally and physically when ready to be trained. I really don't push potty traing with my kids. When I did it became a nightmare. I think all kids are different but my boys took forever, I just think between 2-3 they are usually 100% percent trained both ways. I think they need words and be able to oull clothes up and down and they have to have the ability to know when they have to go. When I say 3 I mean trained at night as well and when going away. I also don't think pull up make any sense. If you are going to train it should feel different to the child when they wet. A oull up is just like a diaper. I think they are nice when you are away from home or at night but they are just like a diaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My daughter had severe reflux and from the time she was about 3mo we had her on a combination of cereal and formula. She did much better after that.
That's why I said "except for specific medical conditions".

Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM

836 posts, read 3,383,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
wolfeyes I was not judging you in the least; I am only curious what part of the country you live; I have never heard that before. Thus my question.
If you must know..I live in North Carolina. That would be the SouthEastern part of the Country.

As for Cow's milk..
So what should you do? As Issenman acknowledges, each family’s situation is unique. Some factors to consider:

• While all babies are occasionally fussy, gassy or have rashes, some babies show strong sensitivities to dairy products when their breastfeeding moms consume them. For these babies, parents may find it helpful to delay the introduction of cows’ milk, cheese or yogurt, for at least a year. Even if your baby hasn’t reacted previously, watch for signs of upset stomach, bloating or gassiness, a change in bowel movements (constipation or diarrhea) or rashes on the cheeks or bottom.

• What solid foods is your child eating? If your nine-month-old is eating little or no solids, switching to plain cow’s milk may not be a good idea as he may need the extra nutrients in breastmilk or formula. On the other hand, if your child is eating a wide variety of solids (including cheese or yogurt with no adverse reactions), then cow’s milk might be fine.

• How picky is he about the taste? You might want to start by mixing the cow’s milk half and half with the baby’s formula or expressed breastmilk until he gets used to the change.

And don’t forget that, at this age, babies should be given whole cow’s milk, not skim or even two percent — they still need that extra fat.

Like so many aspects of parenting, there are no hard and fast rules about when to introduce cow’s milk — and even the experts don’t agree on this one. You need to do what works for YOUR baby.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,201 times
Even Dr. Spock (the originator of pushing cow's milk) had a change of thought as far back as 1998 denouncing the need for cow's milk.

As seen from this link: No milk, no meat for kids - Dr. Spock's advice examined - Benjamin Spock - interview with Dr. Marion Nestle - Interview | Healthfacts | Find Articles at BNET.com

The latest edition of Dr. Benjamin Spocks Baby and Child Care was released last month, and it contained a surprising turnaround. Dr. Spock, who died at the age of 94 just before the new version of his book was published, advised no cows milk or any other dairy products for children. Mothers milk, not cows milk, is natures perfect food for babies under one year, according to Dr. Spock. And once a child is over the age of two years, he advised a vegetarian diet eliminating meat and poultry and cutting down on fish. We now know that there are harmful effects of a meaty diet, Dr. Spock wrote with his co-author Stephen J. Parker, M.D. Children can get plenty of protein and iron from vegetables, beans, and other plant foods that avoid the fat and cholesterol that are in animal products.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Putting cereal in the bottles is not a good idea (except for specific medical conditions). Most importantly because it is a choking hazard. In some infants, their sucking and swallowing is not well-coordinated yet, leading to the possibility that they could aspirate cereal into the lungs. But also, because cereal is heavy but has empty calories (less nutrition) than either breastmilk or formula, so it fills the baby up so they get less of the good stuff, which can actually cause them to gain weight more slowly. Cereal should be given when it supplements, not replaces, breastmilk or formula. That's why it should be given on a spoon, after the baby has nursed or had a bottle. Also, any solids should ideally be given after 6 months, but before 4 months they have a much greater risk of contributing to allergies.

Send a Message in a Bottle, but Not Cereal (http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/home_12985_ENU_HTML.htm - broken link)

Cereal in a Bottle?

When and how do I start solid foods? - DrGreene.com (http://www.drgreene.com/21_561.html - broken link)

Frequently Asked Questions - Assuring Pediatric Nutrition in the Community (http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds/faq/general/infant.htm - broken link)
Thanks! Yes, this is the same thing our doctor told us (a grandmother was insisting on cereal at 2 weeks, so we asked first and got our answer).

Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,580,782 times
Victor doesnt sleep well w/ me. He can't get comfortable...gets hot etc.

I did try the Ferber method and it worked like a charm. He's getting himself to sleep easily now...after only three nights.

He cried each time I left the room the first night...for no longer than 15 minutes at a time. After the 2nd time I entered the room, he settled down to sad little whine. Then he went to sleep. The last two nights, he has fallen asleep relatively quickly and has only woken up once, crying. I decided to let him cry for about 10 minutes to see if he'd get himself back to sleep.

After 4 minutes, he was quiet. He has beenso much happier and napping during the day for longer stretches too! Yay!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:15 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,714 times
Hey, that is great news Alicenavada! Glad you found something that worked well for you. It is SUCH a relief when baby starts sleeping more soundly at night, congratulations!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Thanks! Yes, this is the same thing our doctor told us (a grandmother was insisting on cereal at 2 weeks, so we asked first and got our answer).
It is amazing how things have changed since we were children!! My mom was saying the same thing when my kids were born!

And of course she told me to get my son to a head doctor because he had NO interest in the potty.....at two.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:26 PM

836 posts, read 3,383,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It is amazing how things have changed since we were children!! My mom was saying the same thing when my kids were born!

And of course she told me to get my son to a head doctor because he had NO interest in the potty.....at two.
This might be off topic but sometimes its good to listen to grandparents.........Try having a child whom can sit up at 6months old.. and thinking.. "eh nothings wrong with her" as her little head keeps getting bigger and bigger.. My sisters baby had "water on the brain".. so ya know sometimes it is good for grandmothers to say something to ya when you don't see with your own eyes.... if it wasn't for our Mom noticing or saying anything my sister her baby could be dead. She had surgery (they had to go in and pop a cist on her brain). She is okay now but could still have future problems. She can do all the normal things others can do except run. She is still going through therapy though. Thank god for grandma's I say!!!

alicenavada~ that's great news that you found a solution to help you and your little one sleep better.

Last edited by wolfeyes; 06-03-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Definitely there are times to listen to grandparents 100 % my mom was completely over-reacting. Surprisingly the average age for boys to be potty trained is close to 4. At two; I wasn't worried about it. He was developmentally and physically fine. Other things she was great at hitting the nail on the head. This one just hit me the wrong way...but that is what mom's do right!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting