Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Definitely there are times to listen to grandparents 100 % my mom was completely over-reacting. Surprisingly the average age for boys to be potty trained is close to 4. At two; I wasn't worried about it. He was developmentally and physically fine. Other things she was great at hitting the nail on the head. This one just hit me the wrong way...but that is what mom's do right!!!

OMG I am going to be just like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Our parents tell us a lot of outdated information. Of course they mean well, but there is a lot of new information out there since we were babies. I remember in my baby care class when I was pregnant that they must have told us a dozen times that our parents would tell us that we all slept on our stomachs when we were babies, but that now we know we should put our babies to sleep on their backs. They even had pamphlets with cartoon style graphics showing a new mom having that conversation with grandma. It was a huge theme in the class - your parents mean well but have outdated information, just because your mom did it with you doesn't mean it's the best thing, etc. Happily, my in-laws (if not my parents) are very receptive to hearing what the new information says. It's amazing to think how much more will change by the time I am a grandma...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 26,724 times
umm i have two boys my youngest is four months anyways it takes babies awhile to get used to sleeping when they are supposed too...derek my youngest he gets up at least once maybe twice a nite..

i wish you luck

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,999 times
Actually I would NEVER let my babies sleep on their backs.. If they was to spit~up they could swallow it back down and choke on it.. I always had mine sleep on their sides.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Actually I would NEVER let my babies sleep on their backs.. If they was to spit~up they could swallow it back down and choke on it.. I always had mine sleep on their sides.
When your kids were babies, that is what they recommended. My mom was told the same thing when my sisters were babies (they are 14 and 16 now). The current recommendations have changed. That's exactly what I am talking about.

FYI, if you are interested (or someone else is):

from PEDIATRICS Vol. 107 No. 3 March 2001, pp. 537-539

The literature on infant sleeping position provides evidence that the side position is unstable and thus increases the risk of rolling to the prone position, which may put the infant at increased risk for SIDS. In 1997, the position statement of the SIDS Global Strategy Task Force13 indicated that health care professionals having contact with newborn infants in hospital settings should establish, before discharge, the same safe sleeping practices they desire the family to use after discharge. They also state that studies document that SIDS rates are twice as high in infants routinely placed on the side for sleeping compared with supine.

In 1994, Mitchell and Scragg6 identified the side position as being a risk factor for SIDS. When compared with back sleeping, the side position had an odds ratio of 2.57 (1.15-6.78). Later, in 1996, Skadberg and Markestad14 noted that during the first weeks of life there is still a reluctance to accept a supine rather than a side position in many countries. They observe that the side position, as they showed in a previous study, is the least stable body position and that young infants are at risk to change their position to prone.

In 1998, an increased risk for side-sleeping infants compared with those in supine position, odds ratio 4.03 (1.36-11.96), was reported by L'Hoir et al.15 Also in 1998, Scragg and Mitchell8 reviewed studies from the years 1987 to 1995 that compared placing infants to sleep in their backs and sides. They concluded that after correcting for sleeping in the prone position, sleeping on the side as a cause for SIDS second only in importance to maternal smoking.

As we noted above and as noted by others,16 one of the main arguments against sleeping in the supine position seems to center on the nurse's fear of vomiting and aspiration. The fear of aspiration does not have support in the literature and, in fact, the converse is true. Henderson-Smart et al17 in a review article on reducing the risk of SIDS, note that recent data indicate that the supine position is not associated with an increase in significant morbidity outcomes and that it provides greater protection from SIDS than the side position.

This observation is corroborated by Adams et al16 who also did not notice an increase in morbidities of infants who were placed in the supine position. Carroll and Siska18 note that no scientific evidence shows that the supine position poses a risk for vomiting and aspiration in healthy infants. Dwyer et al,19 in studying potential adverse characteristics of sleeping in the supine position, concluded that sleeping in the supine position was associated with only 1 adverse characteristic---an increase in noisy breathing. Thus, the fear of increased morbidity, especially aspiration associated with the supine position, does not seem to be supported in the literature.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
This is probably off topic, but I am wondering, is it the side sleeping itself that puts a baby at risk for SIDS, or the fact that they are more prone to roll over onto their tummies when they are placed on their side? The reason I ask is when my son was an infant I always placed him to sleep on his back and he always turned his head to the left side. He ended up developing a pretty severe case of plagiocephaly (flat, misshapen head) from always sleeping in the same position and had to wear a DOC band (helmet) for 4 months to correct it. After that experience, I always said that when I have another child I am going to buy a sleep positioner and rotate baby from back to each side to avoid pressure to the same area of the head and plagiocephaly happening again. So my question is, is side sleeping safe if you use a sleep positioner so baby can't role onto their tummy? Or is it dangerous either way? Obviously I would rather put my baby at risk for plagiocephaly than SIDS if side sleeping is dangerous even when using a sleep positioner. Sorry if this is off topic, but I thought of it while reading ADVentive's post about sleep positions.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It is amazing how things have changed since we were children!! My mom was saying the same thing when my kids were born!

And of course she told me to get my son to a head doctor because he had NO interest in the potty.....at two.

Said grandmother is coming to visit this weekend for a couple weeks, so this should be interesting. She was telling me on the phone to put prune juice and who-knows-what in their bottles last week.

We're a bit (no, a lot!) worn after 5 weeks with our newborn twins, so we had to call in reinforcements. All the twin parents I know say it's nearly impossible to go it alone the first 2-3 months. On the positive side, they slept 4.5 hours the first stretch last night, so things are getting better. And their vision is getting better and their cute eyes are wide open and exploring everything now. It's fun to see them develop!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times
My kids always rolled over on their own. I laid them on their backs but once they were rolling over on their own, even the 'sleep positioners' didnt help. Incidentally, my doctor told me that was fine, not to fret.

My mom and dad have had a hard time adjusting to the car seat laws. It took my husband freaking out on my dad for him to finally see the seriousness of it. We forgot to leave the car-seats w/ my dad and stepmom and theybrought the kids to meet us anyway, though we had tried to call them repeatedly to tell them not to. My husband was livid. Especially since my dad tried to tell him it was his fault since he had forgotten to leave the seats. My husband's response was along the lines of 'well, the law comes before my forgetfulness anytime!' Things are fine now, by the way. heh heh.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
My kids always rolled over on their own. I laid them on their backs but once they were rolling over on their own, even the 'sleep positioners' didnt help. Incidentally, my doctor told me that was fine, not to fret.
Yah, I'm pretty sure once they can roll on their own the risk goes way down and you don't have to worry really. They say to still place them on their backs, but not to worry if they roll on their own.

Quote:
My mom and dad have had a hard time adjusting to the car seat laws. It took my husband freaking out on my dad for him to finally see the seriousness of it. We forgot to leave the car-seats w/ my dad and stepmom and theybrought the kids to meet us anyway, though we had tried to call them repeatedly to tell them not to. My husband was livid. Especially since my dad tried to tell him it was his fault since he had forgotten to leave the seats. My husband's response was along the lines of 'well, the law comes before my forgetfulness anytime!' Things are fine now, by the way. heh heh.
Yikes! That would really freak me out! My grandparents have stories about putting the baby on the floor in the back seat to ride and stuff, and I just can't even fathom it! We certainly do things a little different now, eh?!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
This is probably off topic, but I am wondering, is it the side sleeping itself that puts a baby at risk for SIDS, or the fact that they are more prone to roll over onto their tummies when they are placed on their side? The reason I ask is when my son was an infant I always placed him to sleep on his back and he always turned his head to the left side. He ended up developing a pretty severe case of plagiocephaly (flat, misshapen head) from always sleeping in the same position and had to wear a DOC band (helmet) for 4 months to correct it. After that experience, I always said that when I have another child I am going to buy a sleep positioner and rotate baby from back to each side to avoid pressure to the same area of the head and plagiocephaly happening again. So my question is, is side sleeping safe if you use a sleep positioner so baby can't role onto their tummy? Or is it dangerous either way? Obviously I would rather put my baby at risk for plagiocephaly than SIDS if side sleeping is dangerous even when using a sleep positioner. Sorry if this is off topic, but I thought of it while reading ADVentive's post about sleep positions.
Most places I look seem to be saying that the side position itself is okay, but the problem with it is the likelihood that they will roll onto their tummy. I don't really know, but I did find a site discouraging the use of sleep positioners saying that they can be a suffocation risk.
KID - Product Hazards - Dangerous Sleep Positioners Recalls (http://www.kidsindanger.org/prodhazards/recalls/sleeppostion.asp - broken link)

I also found this on minimizing flat heads.
First Candle -- Working to stop SIDS and Stillbirth (http://www.sidsalliance.org/new_exp_parents/new_exp_min.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting