Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times

Advertisements

I stated my opinions on this on the other thread, but thought I would share here as well. I'm not against spanking, but I also believe that it is a last resort punishment. My wife and I could count on one hand the number of times we have spanked and every time was for something that we felt was over the top behavior. 99% of issues can be solved without spanking, but for us those 1% times needed something to really get a point across and it's worked.

Everyone is going to have their own beliefs and methods of discipline, but I would caution anyone who would deal in an absolute. Every child and every environment are different. Some kids can be disciplined with a stern look, others need a firm hand. I don't believe that abuse can be defined per se, but I know it when I see it.

It's also very important to tailor your discipline to your childs age. As my son who is currently 5 has gotten older, time outs are simply laughed off. Being sent to his room isn't such a horrible deal either. What really gets him is having toys/priviledges taken away. I actually did give him a smack the other day, which was the first in a long time. The kids woke up very early and my son is not a morning person and should have still been in bed. It was after a little back and forth involving him hitting his sister, refusing to go back to his room and then hitting me when I forced the issue. A quick smack on the rear snapped him back to reality. He went back to bed, woke up a new kid, apologized for what he did and we moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting