Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
These are babies that resulted in scientific intervention, not 'gifts from God'. For most families, they would be wondering why God cursed them with so many offspring.
I pretty much agree with most of what you said except this. Those of us who used scientific intervention do not look at our children as science experiments. My twins ARE gifts from God.

I agree that the circumstances that brought this octuplet pregnancy to fruition are suspect but those babies are innocent and precious. I just hope that family recognizes that and doesn't choose to pimp them out for a TV show or multi-million dollar photo spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,998 times
Something is just not right with this one.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Interesting "find" here

3. "Ed" and the last name of possibly "suleman" does not come up as living in Whittier. His address is in a neighboring "city". His age and the mothers age are pretty close together. Hmmm, are the parents of this machine not even married. I know, I know..... people get divorced and for very good reasons. But that means that all of these babies COULD be living in a home w/ NO FATHER FIGURE AT ALL!!!
The grandparents are divorced from each other, but live in the same house to help their slutty daughter raise her brood.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I pretty much agree with most of what you said except this. Those of us who used scientific intervention do not look at our children as science experiments. My twins ARE gifts from God.

Scientific intervention does NOT = "gifts from God." They're from your doctor.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM

797 posts, read 2,992,529 times
Quote:
I think you're referring to the same story I read about last night. However, that woman actually took the fertility meds unsupervised. Without strict monitoring, HOM pregnancies which are dangerous can occur.

ETA: Here's the article in full -UK Mother Loses Octuplets After Using Fertility Drugs Unsupervised

And yes, embryos can split after they are transferred. The chance of the occurring is <2-3%. I doubt this is what happened in this case though.

You're right - until all the facts are known, many of us (me included!) are working ourselves into a lather over issues that may not even be relevant to this case.

Whatever the reasons for and the whys, I really feel for all 14 of her children. The octuplets will have some very serious medical challenges ahead and all 14 will not get the individual attention they deserve - how can they when they are 1 of 14?

This is a very sad thing on many levels. I think ART will end up being more regulated/legislated which could be tragic for people who have good reasons to turn to ART (artificial reproductive technology). It's hard and expensive enough without nimrods spoiling it for everyone else.
Yes that is the story I was referring to, and thank you for pointing out embryos are transferred not implanted. ART is very technical and misunderstood by many.

My feeling is we all should be careful how we judge the situation with limited information. Mostly because if all these babies survive, (even if they do not "pimp" them out for money,) they will go down in history as a special delivery. What happens down the road if/when they learn of all the awful things being said about their mother, family, and how they were concieved? Please be more responsible with your opinions people, for the childrens sake.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I call that BULLSH IT. They came from my eggs and DH's sperm. They grew in my uterus and I gave birth to them. My doctor helped us with scientific/medical technology to extract the eggs and sperm. The fact that once they were transferred into my body and implanted has nothing to do with scientific intervention. No science or medicine can will that to happen. Once an RE performs the transfer, it IS up to nature (and God if you believe in Him). No science can "create" life - science can aid in getting the components together - that's all.

You're obviously someone who has not had to deal with infertility and are completely uninformed.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Where do you think the doctor and his talents came from?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
*Based on what I've read it really does sound like she was taking fertility drugs unsupervised - no bloodwork, no monitoring - and got herself pregnant.
My - how did she ever manage to do that???

Old 01-30-2009, 12:20 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

I suppose the big question for me is why???

I question the mental stability of a single mother with six kids taking fertility treatments.

I question the doctors' wisdom in this one as well.

The one thing I'm not willing to jump to conclusions about is all of the "welfare" comments.

If I read the story correctly she conceived via in vitro fertilization which is a) not cheap and b) not covered by any governement program (of which I am aware???).

Sooooo, I suppose there is a possibility the family is independently wealthy.
Those hospital bills are gonna be a bear though; perhaps that's why "grandpa" has to hustle back to work!
PLAIDMOM: Some insurances DO PAY for IVF and other fertility treatments. Massachusetts pays 100 percent I believe for fertility treatments----with insurance. If you do not have insurance, it's about 10-15k per ivf procedure..

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM

181 posts, read 906,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
My - how did she ever manage to do that???
I read on another forum that there are support groups where women actually give away unused fertility drugs to others once they either successfully give birth or give up trying to conceive to others who are in the process because the meds are so expensive. There are also easy to find online sources, including message boards that discuss protocols and dosages. Lastly there is the option of leaving the country for no questions asked access to infertility drugs, including injectables!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting