Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMdotCOM2011 View Post
Not NEARLY enough time. Imagine the psychological damage left beyond the physical.It sure as hell will extend beyond
4 years! I would know; I was whipped with belts well into my teens. Still suffering psychologically due to this, even to the point of hating to hear belt buckles or handle belts. I wear pants that do not require belts. I could go on and on but I won't. THERE IS NO DISCIPLINE in hitting/harming kids physically or psychologically. Rather, this indicates a severe and utterly dismal LACK of discipline on the parts of such "parents". Further, there is not adequate punishment for so-called "parents" who mete out such "discipline" on their children. NO ONE can ever convince me otherwise. I LIVED IT! It is wrong on every level. TO HELL with this POS. And the same to the "mother" as well. She should serve time right along with him. Yea, I know, don't hold back. I can't abide abuse of helpless beings, children, elderly and animals.
Quote:
sooooo hitting our kids more will solve the lack of discipline problems of today ?? Don't buy it and never will. It's lack of discipline on PARENTS' parts that is the problem. If the parent is not self-disciplined, how can the child be?
Thank you so much for speaking up in this thread as your message is so clearly the right one in every respect.

Not surprising, of course, are the grossly misguided contrary viewpoints that appear. Though they are not surprising, they are intensely disturbing and serve as stark reminders of how far we have yet to go to protect children from abuse in our still primitive-in-many-ways culture. We need new laws, perhaps federal laws, to protect children from these savages.

Thank you again +1

Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Note the difference between the "kid exists to please adults" atmosphere of the past and the "adults exist to please kid" atmosphere of today.
I can't believe missed this. Kids EXIST TO PLEASE ADULTS? I am kinda horrified by this. Kids exist because parents make a certain kind of family. A family exists to promote loving, satisfying interpersonal relationships.

If we want someone to *please* us, maybe we should go back to slavery. I sure did not have my kids so they can please me. Yet somehow they are among the best behaved kids we know. Weird.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times
There are people in this thread who have a high IQ and others who don't. If anyone in this day and age thinks it's okay to hit a child with a belt then they are just plain stupid. What was very telling to me was the poster who said her brother shot some kid with his BB gun. He then got hit with a belt and became responsible with guns. Where do you think his initial agresssion came from? My brothers were not hit and they would never shoot someone else with a BB gun. Kids who come from households where they get hit/beat are more likely to get in fights, be wild teens, and aim at people with bb guns. Duh.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
We are saying that some kids stray WAAAAAY outside the lines.
There is no doubt that there are permissive parents out there.

Quote:
We're not talking about little things here!! Some children do not and WILL not learn self-discipline withOUT fearing authority and consequences. I don't know what in the world is so difficult to understand about that. Lucky, lucky, lucky.
The fact that you have no other tools in your toolbox does not mean that the tools don't exist at the store.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I, too, resent the statements that those of us who resorted to spanking, lack imagination, self-discipline, or vital and appropriate parenting skills. If you were LUCKY enough to have children who simply obeyed without question, you were just that......LUCKY!

Right we must have easy kids. Not I. I have an extremely strong willed child.

Read the books. Seriously.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Sorry....so not gonna buy any of this BS. You continue to live with your mother. Most of us have seen far too much over-dramatization in your posts to take those accusations seriously....at least I have. Treating your mother with a complete lack of respect and then crying over the fact that she doesn't give you enough hugs, or listen and talk to you (when you're constantly complaining that she butts her nose into your business) sets you up to be less than believable. I refuse to get caught up in your drama. Lord knows I've got enough of my own to deal with...REAL issues.
Never mind the fact that at the age of 22 anyone can Google "Free Mental Health Counseling" and go talk to a professional about all of this if it was so tremendously traumatizing. And why there is such a seeming need to share all of this over and over and over.

(As horrible upbringings go I've heard much, much worse. I've heard "OMG break your heart and weep with them" worse. I've known people with stunningly brutal, violent childhoods. And those people aren't usually seeking sympathy. It usually comes out in bits and pieces and often from other people who knew them as children. Not the survivors themselves.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-09-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I can't believe missed this. Kids EXIST TO PLEASE ADULTS? I am kinda horrified by this. Kids exist because parents make a certain kind of family. A family exists to promote loving, satisfying interpersonal relationships.

If we want someone to *please* us, maybe we should go back to slavery. I sure did not have my kids so they can please me. Yet somehow they are among the best behaved kids we know. Weird.
Thank you. If I were that person's neighbor, I would have Child Protective Services and the police on speed dial and be listening very closely.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Since WHEN is beating a child with a belt "DISCIPLINE"? THE ones NEEDING the discipline are the PARENTS who DO THIS! I was beaten with a belt into my teens. ALL it taught me was to be very careful not to get "caught" and that I could not trust men for long time (my dad was the one who belted us). It also gave me a severe aversion to belts and in particular, belt buckles. Yea GREAT discipline. Tell your kids "don't hit others" but hit your kids? How on earth can anyone justify that? Do what I say, not what I do, much?
Your post reminds me of when people say that if a toddler runs into traffic he should be spanked. I say if a toddler runs into traffic his parent should be slapped because if you're close to traffic and you aren't keeping your toddler safe and by your side, you're totally screwing up as a parent.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I refuse to get caught up in your drama.

I think it is comical that you keep posting to and about her drama... then this.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:41 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think it is comical that you keep posting to and about her drama... then this.
LOL...guess it's more like, "I'm so not buying your crap...I got work to do, like getting my studs and floor joists covered up!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting