Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Same knot. It's taught as a rescue knot where I grew up in Ohio. We pronounce it the same way you do, but it's most commonly spelled bowline. My favorite way to tie it is one-handed around my waist.
It is a boating knot and is just the new england accent of the contraction of bow (the front of the boat) and line (what you call a rope on a boat).

Its just like an "otter" trawl is really from NE accent saying "outer" (as in outer door) trawl.

BTW to the "bolon" person, my father also taught me a bowline and I can still tie one faster than anyone I know. He never hit me while doing it.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times
I prefer to use a 6' section of 1x2 furring strip. It reaches further than a belt.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,521 times
Spanking a child is one thing, whipping them with a belt is downright abuse. (IMO)

Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Spanking a child is one thing, whipping them with a belt is downright abuse. (IMO)
IMO...it is all dependent on how much backswing and force is put into that belt. Let's face it....it is possible to swat with a belt. I have seen it done and the belt is more for "fear factor" than anything. I was mortified and had flashbacks of my childhood when I was at a friend's house and her hubby pulled off his belt. I had to turn my face and excuse myself (due to relief & humor) when I saw the "tap" he inflicted on his son. LOL It hardly qualified as abuse and in fact, he inflicted no pain at all. Again, it was the fear factor that made the difference.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
I think a belt should be reserved if a child does something SERIOUS and repeatedly.

Can someone make a thread with a poll - Options should be: Were you"
spanked as a child and turned out alright
spanked as a child and still rebelled
not spanked but verbally reprimanded and alright
not spanked but verbally reprimanded and still rebelled
other

I'd be curious as to the answers.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think a belt should be reserved if a child does something SERIOUS and repeatedly.

Can someone make a thread with a poll - Options should be: Were you"
spanked as a child and turned out alright
spanked as a child and still rebelled
not spanked but verbally reprimanded and alright
not spanked but verbally reprimanded and still rebelled
other

I'd be curious as to the answers.
Yes... but in my case it would be...Spanked, but turned out all right, still occasionally rebelled. Verbally reprimanded but still occasionally rebelled. If given the choice of just getting a lickin' and having it be the end of that, I'd have taken the spanking. It was so much easier than being verbally abused and told I was worthless and not going to ever amount to anything.

Were they wrong for spanking me? No.... In verbally abusing me? Yes, because nothing they said was true. The spanking didn't hurt bad enough to make me angry...I screwed up and had it coming. The verbal assaults, they made me angry and caused me to lose respect for my parents, and if your parents don't have your respect, they lose all power.

It shaped the kind of parent I am though. You see, my kids got swats when they were young, but they NEVER got told they were stupid, worthless and were never going to amount to anything. We have a choice as to how we are going to parent our kids. If we found something to be terribly wrong with our parents' disciplinary methods, we can do it differently with our own children. In other words, we can turn negatives into positives. Also, the swats my children got were only handed out for potentially life-threatening actions. I also didn't raise my voice to my children unless they were REALLY in trouble.

I hate that....when people constantly speak to their kids rudely and/or disrespectfully....or yell constantly. They wonder why their kids don't take them seriously when they yell. It's because it's not unusual. Why be afraid if you're raising your voice.....you do it all the time! How can a child tell if they're in trouble when parents always talk to them like that?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes... but in my case it would be...Spanked, but turned out all right, still occasionally rebelled. Verbally reprimanded but still occasionally rebelled. If given the choice of just getting a lickin' and having it be the end of that, I'd have taken the spanking. It was so much easier than being verbally abused and told I was worthless and not going to ever amount to anything.

Were they wrong for spanking me? No.... In verbally abusing me? Yes, because nothing they said was true. The spanking didn't hurt bad enough to make me angry...I screwed up and had it coming. The verbal assaults, they made me angry and caused me to lose respect for my parents, and if your parents don't have your respect, they lose all power.

It shaped the kind of parent I am though. You see, my kids got swats when they were young, but they NEVER got told they were stupid, worthless and were never going to amount to anything. We have a choice as to how we are going to parent our kids. If we found something to be terribly wrong with our parents' disciplinary methods, we can do it differently with our own children. In other words, we can turn negatives into positives. Also, the swats my children got were only handed out for potentially life-threatening actions. I also didn't raise my voice to my children unless they were REALLY in trouble.

I hate that....when people constantly speak to their kids rudely and/or disrespectfully....or yell constantly. They wonder why their kids don't take them seriously when they yell. It's because it's not unusual. Why be afraid if you're raising your voice.....you do it all the time! How can a child tell if they're in trouble when parents always talk to them like that?
Ah you're right, there should be another option. Whenever I talk about this subject with others I think the best solution is a wack and explanation on why you got that. Never a beating and never verbal abuse.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Ah you're right, there should be another option. Whenever I talk about this subject with others I think the best solution is a wack and explanation on why you got that. Never a beating and never verbal abuse.
I always let my kids know what they would get spanked for. "Do not do that or I will spank you." If they did it anyway, they got spanked. "If you take your brother's toy again, you will apologize and sit in time out for 10 minutes." If they took their brother's toy again, they apologized and sat in time out for 10 min. I did not strike and explain later. If they ran off or headed out of the yard when they were little, they were dragged back into the yard, explained to about WHY they were going to get a spanking, spanked and then explained to AGAIN, after they were done crying, why mommy spanked them.

It's all about actions and consequences. The repurcussions for certain behaviors, but always letting them know that I loved them very, very much and that it just KILLED me to have to spank them...and it DID! It broke my heart to have to spank my kids.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times
Post News, Belt-whipping results in 4-year sentence.

COOKEVILLE, TN. -- A man who whipped his young stepdaughter with a belt will serve four years in jail for the offense.

And that four years won't start until he's finished serving a six year sentence on another crime.

Herald Citizen - Belt whipping results in 4 year sentence

Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,585 times
I hope this sets a precedent. No one needs to hurt a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting