Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Memo to parents with kids. If you take your kids to restaurants, its your responsibility to ensure that they don't disturb other people who are trying to enjoy their meal!

If you can't do that because you lack basic parenting skills or you don't care that your kids behavior is disturbing others then stick to McDonalds or Burger King or do take out!

you should have left after you had talked to parents, and/or management. first time you get bothered by presence of someone else's kids you should say something to parents. remember: politeness is the key.

if my children were to bother someone at a restaurant, public place etc, i welcome their comments and will do my best to keep my kids quiet. if you speak up but become rude about it then i will probably order for my kids ice cream with double fudge, chocolate, and a cherry on top, and let my kids' sugar buzz take care of you.
other than that, i agree with you.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
I have a 3 year old and he's not allowed out of his seat until we leave, but that doesn't mean he isn't kicking the chair, laughing out loud, singing, etc. That kind of stuff is somewhat to be expected in a family restaurant. When you go to the fancy place, you have a right to complain.

Before I had my son, I really didn't like being around little kids, but I'd be sure not to sit next to them..I'd wait for a different table or ask to be moved if a particularly rowdy family came in.

People who let their kids run around still get dirty looks from me, as my son is not allowed to get up, so I expect the same courtesy from them.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:18 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
They're kids... K-I-D-S

Amazing. Just more proof how uptight and non-family friendly LI is becoming.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM

280 posts, read 247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
They're kids... K-I-D-S

Amazing. Just more proof how uptight and non-family friendly LI is becoming.
This isn't true at all. There's a time and a place for everything, including rowdy kids. If you go to McDonalds where they have a play plen, you better expect rowdy kids. I wouldn't expect screaming kids at an Outback though.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Ah, I get it. You people are anti-social, yet want to mingle with the "Normals". "I want to go out and be left alone".
I suggest you all seek regular counseling. In time, you will become socialized and less of a burden on the general public.

Amen.

My kids are young so we rarely go out but there are a lot of things I find just as annoying. Like people who constantly complain about everything.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,975,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
This isn't true at all. There's a time and a place for everything, including rowdy kids. If you go to McDonalds where they have a play plen, you better expect rowdy kids. I wouldn't expect screaming kids at an Outback though.
lol what?

I want you to sit down a 2 year old and say "No, this isn't the right place to be a kid."

See what happens.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
All these posts and not one suggestion of duct tape?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,975,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
All these posts and not one suggestion of duct tape?
Duct tape is plan A, these are all plan B, C, D, etc...

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,909 times
I talk loudly using as many vulgarities and go into detail about sexual reproduction while bratty kids are around. Hopefully parents get the message. Thankfully, we usually "go out" to some nicer places.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:05 AM

152 posts, read 548,022 times
Good manners is really all about treating other people with courtesy and respect.

Children should be able to sit at a table for the entirety of the meal. If you are at a restaurant that moves at a slow pace, you've chosen poorly.

Getting up and running around is not only incredibly annoying, but it creates a safety hazzard for them - what if a waiter doesn't see them and trips and drops a tray of hot food or a tray of glasses on your child?

I think we can all agree that kids do best at fairly noisy restaurants that attract other families and large groups of people who want to get out and have a little fun.

If you are at a "regular" restaurant and the kids at the next table are sitting down but talking loudly, maybe having a little sibling tiff, or trying to get their parents' attention or maybe even overly hungry, and you're bothered by the noise, then quite frankly you've chosen wrong or you just hate kids. There are plenty of adults who are just as obnoxious and boorish that are populating our restaurants.

If you are Chez Fanceee and someone walks in with their 9,7, and 4 year old, you are probably correct if you get a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach. However, some kids of any age are perfectly capable of behaving in restaurants like this and you may be pleasantly surprised.

In any case, you have as much right to an enjoyable meal as the next people and if that's not happening then talk to management sooner rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting