Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:13 AM

491 posts, read 1,434,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
I ment you called us idiots, not "pittsburghers". It should have been, you called us Pittsburghers idiots. I am bad at grammer and spelling since I am an unedikited pixburger.
You said it, not me

And actually, i said "Idiots, nothing but driving idiots.". That is in reference to while people are "driving" hence the usage of the term driving.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,561 times
I would recommend central or eastern PA area over the western part--economy is not very good there and jobs don't pay well.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 AM

24 posts, read 132,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post
I would recommend central or eastern PA area over the western part--economy is not very good there and jobs don't pay well.
Yes ma'am! We have a winner! DING DING DING!

And I can tell you, oktaren, Meadville might be slightly safer than Pittsburgh (when it comes to serious crimes, such as murder and the like) but it's overcrowded, no jobs, plenty of petty crimes, robberies, etc because everybody wants, but can't have. And they can't have because there's no work.

Although, Meadville is slowly becoming more and more dangerous. There have been drive-by shootings in the projects (which are located on one of the main drags, no less...) there have been murders (in broad daylight, with a gun!), there are drugs, etc. It's becoming more and more dangerous, and the cops are idiots. Pure and simple.

Another problem is, Meadville is definitely backwards in it's thinking. It's still a predominately white community (even more so during the '80s and early '90s) and African Americans weren't always met with the warmest of welcomes (although the town has become more receptive as time went on. But only out of "Well, what can we do about it? We're stuck with them." mentality.)

Now, Meadville has a number of Mexican/Hispanic and Middle Eastern residents moving in and while it hasn't hit the paper, it's definitely been word of mouth. People (Black and White) want them all gone, in a heart beat.

I'll admit, it's a little frightening to walk into Wal-Mart and see 10 or so Mexicans standing around speaking in Spanish (can't even bring themselves to speak a lick of English, which is another barrier) and all they do is stare at you walking by...with the darkest of stares. The management even asked a group of them to leave the store one afternoon because they were bothering the customers. (Normally, I'd say it was a racism thing, because even I'm not so stupid that I don't see it, but this time it really was the standing around/fright issue.)

Not to mention, my boss at Sheetz was threatened by one of the owners of the Mexican restaurant with a gun, and he kept pacing around the store's parking lot in his SUV, until the cops were called and his concealed weapon got him arrested. (I kid you not!)

The crime's gotten worse, and there's no room for all these people in Meadville. Anyone with any sense has already left and more are willing to do so, soon, it'll be nothing but troublemakers (White, Black, Mexican, whatever, not just one race or the other) left in the town and it'll decay even more than it has.

Pittsburgh is at least spread out, it's more diverse and as such, the people are more apt to handle it. Far more job opportunities (for sure), and safe sections of town (that you *know* are safe). Meadville's a mixed bag anymore. Street corners are becoming dangerous anymore (that's where the midday shooting occurred.)

Point is, no one feels comfortable with the other races, no jobs, lots of drug related crime, violence, bad weather, bad people (in general), and a crappy hospital. So...why would anyone want to move *IN* to the town??

Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 AM

25 posts, read 83,794 times
Yeah, I never understood the moto You've got a friend in PA. I have family in PA and while they certainly aren't rude, they have quite the inferiority complex. They hate every other state around them. I just don't get it. I am a born and raised New Englander. Sure, we may take jabs at our neighbors, we may refer to a mass. resident as a "mass hole" or something like that, but we love what each state offers the rest of the region. Up here, we take pride in our neighbors, not just our own state in which we live. You mid-atlanticers just aren't like that.

Last edited by blcapdee; 10-03-2007 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: didn't want to come off as a swear word

Old 10-03-2007, 09:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Jeez, let's not paint everyone with that prejudice! My husband and I were born and raised in Delaware and have lived in a few other states and have family all over the US. I don't know of one state that I have visited or lived in that doesn't have something good about it. I'm don't even think that Pennsylvania is the BEST state - but our town in Pennsylvania is one that fits our family. I do agree that the you've got a friend in PA motto is pretty lame.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
The second time I saw the "you've got a friend in Pennsylvania" license plates (the first time was on my dad's station wagon) was in the movie Witness, when the corrupt Philadelphia cops (now there's a friendly stereotype for ya!) were rifling through Harrison Ford's car. I remember thinking: "Why couldn't the filmmakers have used the old plates?"

How was that as an attempt to defuse this thread?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM

26 posts, read 140,149 times
There are a few things that can help cure this problem. Not just in PA, but any state. Higher self esteem, less fear, being more secure and focusing on someone other than yourself. I love PA as well although the IT job market is not the best in PA.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blcapdee View Post
Yeah, I never understood the moto You've got a friend in PA. I have family in PA and while they certainly aren't rude, they have quite the inferiority complex. They hate every other state around them. I just don't get it. I am a born and raised New Englander. Sure, we may take jabs at our neighbors, we may refer to a mass. resident as a "mass hole" or something like that, but we love what each state offers the rest of the region. Up here, we take pride in our neighbors, not just our own state in which we live. You mid-atlanticers just aren't like that.
I'm going to have to agree with you about your "inferiority complex" comment, though it depends where you live in PA. Many economically-depressed places in PA are full of people just trying to get by, and they don't appreciate the attitudes that come with educated people from other areas. I don't think your comment about "hating" every other state is accurate, though. I think what you see as hate is more is more of a manifestation of the inferiority complex that you correctly pinpointed.

If you live in a "more educated" and wealthier part of PA (suburban Philadelphia, for example), I don't think you see this problem nearly as much.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The second time I saw the "you've got a friend in Pennsylvania" license plates (the first time was on my dad's station wagon) was in the movie Witness, when the corrupt Philadelphia cops (now there's a friendly stereotype for ya!) were rifling through Harrison Ford's car. I remember thinking: "Why couldn't the filmmakers have used the old plates?"

How was that as an attempt to defuse this thread?
My guess is the license plate was the filmmakers' attempt at irony.

Re: the "inferiority complex" theory, W. Pennsylvanians have always made fun of West Viriginia, even back when the economy in W PA was hot (yes, that was the case at one time), and also made fun of Ohio as being a farmer state. Not everyone, of course, but plenty of them, did this.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-03-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-05-2007, 10:10 AM

25 posts, read 83,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I'm going to have to agree with you about your "inferiority complex" comment, though it depends where you live in PA. Many economically-depressed places in PA are full of people just trying to get by, and they don't appreciate the attitudes that come with educated people from other areas. I don't think your comment about "hating" every other state is accurate, though. I think what you see as hate is more is more of a manifestation of the inferiority complex that you correctly pinpointed.

If you live in a "more educated" and wealthier part of PA (suburban Philadelphia, for example), I don't think you see this problem nearly as much.
Well said, BPP1999. I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania