Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I am just reading here and this is what I got from Google.......
On June 19, 1846 the first officially recorded , organized, baseball match was played. On the Elysian Field In Hoboken. (Knickerbockers and the NY Nine)
There is an interesting image that was recorded in Harpers Weekley of Oct.15th 1859. It shows players at the bases, as we know them today.
So then........I guess it is most likely the field where baseball was BORN, or do others make that claim also?
Well, I don't live far from Hoboken and when entering the town there's signs that say "The Birthplace of Baseball" and or "Birthplace of Frank Sinatra".

Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Well, I don't live far from Hoboken and when entering the town there's signs that say "The Birthplace of Baseball" and or "Birthplace of Frank Sinatra".
I know.........I was thinking.........that sign has been there forever!
Though I just read today that the words "birthplace of Baseball" have been trademarked !! So the one guy on his site had to use Hobokenbaseball.com, (or "where Baseball was born ") he has some good information.
But, I remember that sign and my parents telling me about it.
Also, know that one of the uncles had Frank Sinatra crash a wedding he was attending. He stood on a table and sang! That was very, very, early in his quest for fame.......( we had family in Weehawkin, Jersey City, and Fort Lee)

Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,725 times
I grew up here in Pa, (southcental). I left around age 30 for the southwest, then later Alaska.

It is very different here. It would be silly to say otherwise. Pa is unique in many ways, least of all it's (native) people.

They do have a chip on their shoulder! And they also feel it their job to knock off every chip they come across. Rarely will they hear one out on a point in conversation. They almost always begin talking before the other person has finished making their comment/statement. And they can't be told anything! They were born with "all" knowledge innate.
Just ask me, I was born here.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,577 times
The thread that will never die.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
The thread that will never die.
OK, please shoot me for starting it!!!!!!!
It was a lapse of good judgement!!!!! I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!

And hey...all the baseball stuff is great, start a new thread about it so the title of this one will go away!!!!!!
Once again....I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I grew up here in Pa, (southcental). I left around age 30 for the southwest, then later Alaska.

It is very different here. It would be silly to say otherwise. Pa is unique in many ways, least of all it's (native) people.

They do have a chip on their shoulder! And they also feel it their job to knock off every chip they come across. Rarely will they hear one out on a point in conversation. They almost always begin talking before the other person has finished making their comment/statement. And they can't be told anything! They were born with "all" knowledge innate.
So was I! Have been accused of the above many times.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
OK, please shoot me for starting it!!!!!!!
It was a lapse of good judgement!!!!! I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!

And hey...all the baseball stuff is great, start a new thread about it so the title of this one will go away!!!!!!
Once again....I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Its okay. We all have these brain farts occasionally.

Cap

Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
And I thought I inherited those traits from my mother ... who knew!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 AM

13 posts, read 84,467 times
Default Reds AREN'T the oldest

Founded in 1883, the National League's Philadelphia Phillies are the longest standing, one-name, one-location team in all professional American sports. Also, amongst franchises having played enough all time games to have eliminated most statistical anomalies, they are the worst team in the the history of all American professional sports (in terms of winning percentage.)

The 'Reds' can't have 10,000 losses b/c they were 4 different teams and competed in 2 different leagues. The current Reds team has only been in existance since 1958.

Cincinnati Reds (1958–present)
Cincinnati Redlegs (1953-1958)
Cincinnati Reds (1882-1953)
Cincinnati Red Stockings (1876-1882) ....Now they may be 'older', but they have been 'dead' since 1882. The Phillies are still 'alive'.

Phillies:
National League (1883–present)

Philadelphia used to have the Athletics (A's), too. But their losses aren't counted among the 10,000 the Phillies have. They were different teams, like the Cinncinnati teams have been.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 AM

99 posts, read 466,988 times
pennsylvania personality - shouldn't it be divided by region? philly is not like central pa and neighter is pittsburgh. The central PA personality...hmm, i would have to say "serious, dead serious"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania